Print-friendly version of this page
The W6 section of Goldhawk Road
runs down to Stamford Brook station.
The Shepherd’s Bush section of Goldhawk Road
runs west-east but takes a south turn as the W6 section of the road begins.
At this corner used to lay Queen Charlotte’s and Chelsea Hospital, a major west London maternity unit. Ravenscourt Park
lies behind the hospital site, now redeveloped into housing.
Stamford Brook station lies at the point where the road ends within the area of Chiswick.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Cleveland Avenue, W4 Barbara, Duchess of Cleveland, lived in Walpole House and was buried in St Nicholas Church. Kings Yard, E15 Kings Yard is one of the streets of London in the E15 postal area. Paddenswick Road, W6 Paddenswick Road commemorates the medieval manor and estate of Palingswick (or Paddenswick) Manor, located on the site of Ravenscourt Park and first recorded in the 12th century.
Hammersmith is a district in west London, England, in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, approximately five miles (eight kilometres) west of Charing Cross on the north bank of the River Thames.
One of west London's key transport hubs and commercial and employment centres, and home to several multinational company offices, it is focused on the two London Underground stations, bus station and road network node at Hammersmith Broadway.
Hammersmith's pedestrianised riverside is popular for its many pubs, and excellent views of the river and its annual Boat Race.
The area has provided a location for several TV programmes. The Flying Squad were Hammersmith-based in the 1970s TV series The Sweeney
. It has for some decades been the main centre of London's Polish minority.
Hammersmith is served by two tube stations, one is the western terminus of the Hammersmith & City Line, the other by the Piccadilly and District Lines. Both are called Hammersmith. The latter tube station is part of a larger office, retail and transport development, locally known as The Broadway
after its large encompassing roundabout.
The present Hammersmith & City station is situated on Beadon Road and opened on 1 December 1868, replacing the original station slightly north of here which opened on 13 June 1864 when the line extension was built from Paddington. The Circle line has served Hammersmith since 13 December 2009.
The Piccadilly and District line station was opened on 9 September 1874 by the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR, now the District Line) as the western terminus of the railway when it was extended from Earl's Court.