Goldington Crescent, NW1

Road in/near St Pancras

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.53504 -0.13256) 

Goldington Crescent, NW1

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · St Pancras · NW1 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Goldington Crescent is a street in Camden Town.




NEARBY STREETS
Aldenham Street, NW1 Aldenham Street – Richard Platt, 16th century brewer and local landowner, gave land for the endowment of Aldenham School, Hertfordshire.
Ampthill Square, NW1 Ampthill Square is a name which has existed in two different time periods.
Barclay Street, NW1 Barclay Street led from Aldenham Street northwards to Medburn Street.
Barnby Street, NW1 Barnby Street is a street in Camden Town.
Bayham Place, NW1 Bayham Place is a short cobbled street.
Bridgeway Street, NW1 Bridgeway Street is a street in Camden Town.
Brill Place, NW1 Brill Place is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Camley Street, N1C Camley Street runs north from King’s Cross.
Camley Street, NW1 Camley Street is a street in Camden Town.
Cedar Way Industrial Estate, N1C A street within the N1C postcode
Cedar Way, N1C Cedar Way is a road in the N1C postcode area
Cedar Way, NW1 Cedar Way is a street in Camden Town.
Chalton Street, NW1 Chalton Street was formerly Charlton Street.
Charrington Street, NW1 Charrington Street runs south to north and is a continuation of Ossulston Street.
Chenies Place, NW1 Chenies Place is a road in the NW1 postcode area
College Grove, NW1 College Grove is a road in the NW1 postcode area
College Place, NW1 College Place is a street in Camden Town.
Cooper’s Lane, NW1 Cooper’s Lane is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Cranleigh Street, NW1 Cranleigh Street is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Crofters Way, NW1 Crofters Way is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Crowndale Court, NW1 Crowndale Court is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Crowndale Road, NW1 Crowndale Road was at first called Fig Lane and then Gloucester Place.
Elstree Street, N1C Elstree Street once laid off of St Pancras Road.
Eversholt Street, NW1 Eversholt Street is a street in Camden Town.
Godwin Court, NW1 Godwin Court is a street in Camden Town.
Goldington Street, NW1 Goldington Street is a street in Camden Town.
Granary Street, NW1 Granary Street is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Hampden Close, NW1 Hampden Close is a street in Camden Town.
Lidlington Place, NW1 Lidlington Place is a street in Camden Town.
Mandela Street, NW1 Mandela Street was named after Nelson Mandela.
Mayford, NW1 Mayford is a street in Camden Town.
Medburn Street, NW1 Medburn Street is named after a farm between Elstree and Radlett in Hertfordshire.
Oakley Square, NW1 Oakley Square is a street in Camden Town.
Oakshott Court, NW1 Oakshott Court is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Ossulston Street, NW1 Ossulston Street is a street in Camden Town.
Pancras Road, NW1 Pancras Road is a street in Camden Town.
Penryn Street, NW1 Penryn Street is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Phoenix Road, NW1 Phoenix Road is a street in Camden Town.
Plender Street, NW1 William Plender, 1st Baron Plender was an accountant and public servant who served as Sheriff of the County of London in 1927.
Ploughmans Close, NW1 Ploughmans Close is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Polygon Road, NW1 Polygon Road is a street in Camden Town.
Purchese Street, NW1 Purchese Street is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Reapers Close, NW1 Reapers Close is a street in Camden Town.
Rossendale Way, NW1 Rossendale Way is a street in Camden Town.
Saint Pancras Way, NW1 This is a street in the NW1 postcode area
Somers Close, NW1 Somers Close is a road in the NW1 postcode area
St Pancras Cruising Club, N1C St Pancras Cruising Club is a road in the N1C postcode area
St. Pancras Way, NW1 St. Pancras Way is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Unity Mews, NW1 Unity Mews is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Weavers Way, NW1 Weavers Way is part of the Elm Village estate.
Werrington Street, NW1 Werrington Street is a street in Camden Town.


St Pancras

St Pancras railway station, celebrated for its architecture, is built on the site of the St Pancras suburb of London.

For many centuries the St Pancras name was used for various officially-designated areas, but it is now used mainly for the railway station and for upmarket venues in the immediate locality, having been largely superseded by other place names including Kings Cross, Somers Town, and Camden Town, or simply Camden.

St Pancras was originally a medieval parish, which ran from close to what is now Oxford Street north as far as Highgate, and from what is now Regent’s Park in the west to the road now known as York Way in the east, boundaries which take in much of the current London Borough of Camden, including its central part. However, as the choice of name for the borough suggests, St Pancras has lost its status as the central settlement in the area.

The original focus of the area was the church, now known by the retronym of St Pancras Old Church. The building is in the southern half of the parish, and is believed by many to be one of the oldest sites of Christian worship in Great Britain. However, in the 14th century the population moved en masse to Kentish Town, probably due to flooding by the River Fleet and the availability of better wells at the new location. A chapel of ease was established there, and the old settlement was abandoned, except for a few farms, until the growth of London in the late eighteenth century.

In the 1790s Earl Camden began to develop some fields to the north and west of the old church as Camden Town. About the same time, a residential district was built to the south and east of the church, usually known as Somers Town. In 1822 the new church of St Pancras was dedicated as the parish church. The site was chosen on what was then called the New Road, now Euston Road, which had been built as London’s first bypass, the M25 of its day. The two sites are about a kilometer apart. The new church is Grade I listed for its Greek Revival style; the old church was rebuilt in 1847. In the mid 19th century two major railway stations were built to the south of the Old Church, first Kings Cross and later St Pancras. The new church is closer to Euston Station.

By the end of the nineteenth century the ancient parish had been divided into 37 parishes, including one for the old church. There are currently 17 Church of England parishes completely contained within the boundaries of the ancient parish, all of which benefit from the distributions from the St Pancras Lands Trust, and most of which are in South Camden Deanery in the Edmonton Area of the Diocese of London.

St Pancras railway station was opened in 1868 by the Midland Railway as the southern terminus of its main line, which connected London with the East Midlands and Yorkshire. When inaugurated, the arched train shed by William Henry Barlow was the largest single-span roof in the world. Today, Midland main line services to Corby, Sheffield and Nottingham are operated by East Midlands Trains, and St Pancras is a stop on the Thameslink route as well as being the terminus of Southeastern high-speed trains to Kent.
Print-friendly version of this page