n Londinium - it runs directly over the site of the basilica and forum.
The word ’Gracechurch’ is derived from ’Gres-cherch’ or ’Gras-cherche’. The ’Gracechurch’ version was not used until after the destruction of all of the buildings in the street during the Great Fire of London in 1666. During its history, the street was for a period named Gracious Street.
It was a late Anglo-Saxon street and seems to have been built around the same time as London Bridge
(10th/11th century) to which it provided access.
The church is was named after - St Benet Gracechurch
stood at the junction with Lombard Street
. It was destroyed in the Great Fire.
In medieval times a corn market was held beside the church. Leadenhall Market
dating from the 14th century is still the street’s most noted attraction.
Originally at its southern end, it was called New Fish Street. North of Cornhill
, Gracechurch continued as Bishopsgate
The street was on the royal processional route. When the monarch entered the City from the Tower, they stopped in Gracechurch Street to witness the first of a series of pageants prepared by London to welcome them to the throne.
Gracechurch Street is mentioned in Jane Austen’s ’Pride and Prejudice’ as the home of Mr and Mrs Gardiner, the uncle and aunt of the Bennet sisters.