Print-friendly version of this page
Across the junction of East End Road
and Regents Park Road
, Gravel Hill runs to Hendon Lane
There was a pond at the junction with Hendon Lane
until 1885 when it was drained. There is now a horse chestnut tree on site.
In 1918, the Sisters of Marie Auxiliatrice came to the Manor House in East End Road
running the St Philip the Apostle residence for business women. The nuns’ chapel became a centre for a new parish. They later took on Derwent House at the corner of Regents Park Road
and East End Road
and part of this was a new chapel and dedicated to St. Philip. The present St Philip the Apostle Roman Catholic Church was built in Gravel Lane in 1933.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Avenue House Avenue House is a large Victorian mansion (Grade II listed) situated on East End Road. Avenue House Grounds Avenue House Grounds, also known as Stephens House and Gardens, is a four hectare nature site in Church End, Finchley. Grass Farm Grass Farm was developed in the late 19th century. Arden Road, N3 Arden Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Church End, N3 Church End is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Cyprus Road, N3 Cyprus Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. East End Road, N3 East End Road was originally the route from the hamlet of Church End Finchley to the old Great North Road when it ran through Muswell Hill. Greenacres, N3 Greenacres is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Rectory Close, N3 Rectory Close is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. The Avenue, N3 The Avenue is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Windsor Close, N3 Windsor Close is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area.
Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.
Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.
There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.
Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.
Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.