was named after John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough.
In the 16th century, the land it was laid out over belonged to the Mercer’s Company but was surrendered to Henry VIII in 1536.
The land was subsequently owned by a brewer Thomas Wilson whose son Richard sold it to William Maddox in 1622. Maddox called the estate ’Millfield’.
In 1670, William Maddox’s son Benjamin let the land to James Kendrick who in turn sub-let what is now Great Marlborough Street
to John Steele. The land remained undeveloped, with building focusing on Tyburn Road (Oxford Street
) to the north.
The street began development in the early 18th century, when Steele let five acres of land to Joseph Collens for property development. It was named after John Churchill, the Duke of Marlborough who as commander of the English Army won the Battle of Blenheim in 1704.
The Pantheon was based at the far eastern end of Great Marlborough Street
, built on what had previously been gardens in 1772. A popular place of entertainment during the late 18th century,the building burned down in 1792 and on rebuilding ceased to be an entertainment venue in 1818. It was later used as a bazaar before being demolished in 1937.
Great Marlborough Street
was a fashionable address in the 18th century, but its character changed to commercial and retail use by the end of the 19th. Most of the street’s original buildings have since been demolished.
At its eastern end it becomes Noel Street