Greenfield Gardens, NW2

Road in/near Cricklewood

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.56361 -0.20632) 

Greenfield Gardens, NW2

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Cricklewood · NW2 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Greenfield Gardens is a street in Cricklewood.




NEARBY STREETS
Bentley Drive, NW2 Bentley Drive is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Caddington Road, NW2 Caddington Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Cheviot Gardens, NW2 Cheviot Gardens is a street in Cricklewood.
Cheviot Gate, NW2 Cheviot Gate is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Childs Hill Walk, NW2 Childs Hill Walk is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Chiltern Gardens, NW2 Chiltern Gardens is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Church Walk, NW2 Church Walk is a street in Cricklewood.
Cleveland Gardens, NW2 Cleveland Gardens is a street in Cricklewood.
Cloister Road, NW2 Cloister Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Compton Close, NW11 Compton Close is a street in Golders Green.
Crewys Road, NW2 Crewys Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Cricklewood Lane, NW2 Cricklewood Lane was at first called Cowhouse Green.
Cumbrian Gardens, NW2 Cumbrian Gardens is a street in Cricklewood.
Dersingham Road, NW2 Dersingham Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Draycott Close, NW2 Draycott Close is a street in Cricklewood.
Elsinore Gardens, NW2 Elsinore Gardens is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Etrona Buildings, NW2 Etrona Buildings is a street in Cricklewood.
Garth Road, NW2 Garth Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Gillingham Road, NW2 Gillingham Road is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Granville Road, NW2 Granville Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Hamlet Square, NW11 Hamlet Square is a road in the NW11 postcode area
Hamlet Square, NW2 Hamlet Square is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Handley Grove, NW2 Handley Grove is a street in Cricklewood.
Hendon Way, NW2 Hendon Way is a street in Cricklewood.
Hocroft Avenue, NW2 Hocroft Avenue is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Hocroft Walk, NW2 Hocroft Walk is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Kingweston Close, NW2 Kingweston Close is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Llanelly Road, NW2 Llanelly Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Llanvanor Road, NW11 Llanvanor Road is a road in the NW11 postcode area
Llanvanor Road, NW2 Llanvanor Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Lyndale Avenue, NW2 Lyndale Avenue is a street in Cricklewood.
Nant Road, NW2 Nant Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Pennine Drive, NW2 Pennine Drive is the main road of the so-called ’Golders Green Estate’.
Pennine Parade, NW2 Pennine Parade is a parade of shops along Pennine Drive.
Pentland Close, NW11 Pentland Close is a road in the NW11 postcode area
Prospect Place, NW2 Prospect Place is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Purbeck Drive, NW2 Purbeck Drive is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Purley Avenue, NW2 Purley Avenue is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Ridge Road, NW2 Ridge Road is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Sanderstead Avenue, NW2 Sanderstead Avenue is a street in Cricklewood.
Sandifer Drive, NW2 Sandifer Drive is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Somerton Road, NW2 Somerton Road is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Sunnyside, NW2 Sunnyside is a street in Cricklewood.
The Vale, NW11 The Vale is a street in NW11 when all around is NW2.
The Vale, NW2 The Vale is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Thorverton Road, NW2 Thorverton Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Woodvale Way, NW11 Woodvale Way is a road in the NW11 postcode area
Worley Court, NW2 Worley Court is a street in Cricklewood.


Cricklewood

Cricklewood is a district whose northeastern part is in the London Borough of Barnet, and the southwestern part is the London Borough of Brent and the southeastern part is in London Borough of Camden.

There was a small settlement at the junction of Cricklewood Lane and the Edgware Road by 1294, which by 1321 was being called Cricklewood. By the 1750s the Crown (rebuilt in 1889), was providing for coach travellers and by the 1800s it had a handful of cottages and Cricklewood House as neighbours, and was known for its pleasure gardens. By the 1860s there were a number of substantial villas along the Edgware Road starting with Rockhall Lodge and culminating in Rockhall Terrace.

Childs Hill Station, later Cricklewood, opened in 1868, but Cricklewood only fully became an industrial and suburban district in the 1930s. In the summer of 1881 the Midland Railway Company moved its locomotive works from Kentish Town to the new Brent Sidings, and in October of the same year it was announced that new accommodation for its workers would be built, later the Railway Terraces. Mr H Finch laid out a handful of roads directly behind the Crown Inn, (including Yew, Ash, and Elm, Grove) in 1880. The station became the terminus for the Midland Railways suburban services by 1884. The census of 1881 showed that the population had grown enough for a new church, and St Peter's replaced a tin chapel in 1891, (closed 1983 subsequent to rebuilding in the 1970s). The London General Omnibus Company terminated services to Regents Street at the Crown from 1883, opening a bus depot in 1899.

By the 1890s houses and shops had been built along part of Cricklewood Lane. . Cricklewood Broadway had become retail area by 1900 replacing the Victorian villas. The Queens Hall Cinema, later the Gaumont, replaced Rock Hall House, and was itself demolished in 1960. Thorverton road, was laid out in 1907, along with Caddington, and Dersingham Road, the year of the opening of Golders Green underground station. With the introduction of trams in 1904 and the motorisation of bus services by 1911, a number of important industries were established. The first of these was the Phoenix Telephone Co. in 1911 (later moved to the Hyde), quickly followed by Handley Page Ltd, aircraft manufacturers, from 1912 until 1917, at 110 Cricklewood Lane.

Cricklewood also became the home for the first Smith Crisps factory replacing the omnibus depot at Crown Yard. Having moved into new premises in Cricklewood Lane the yard was taken over by Clang electrical goods Ltd. From 1929 to 1933 the area was finally built over.

Cowhouse Farm, latterly Dickers Farm and finally Avenue Farm, was closed in 1932. From 1908 to 1935, Westcroft Farm was owned by the Home of Rest for Horses, at its peak it could house 250 horses. The Metropolitan Borough of Hampstead opened the Westcroft Estate in 1935. From the 1960s industry in the local area went into decline, and all the above-mentioned industries have left.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Print-friendly version of this page