Print-friendly version of this page
Grosvenor Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area.
Albert Place, N3 Albert Place is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Ballards Lane, N3 Ballards Lane was the conduit by which Finchley urbanised northwards. Brent Way, N3 Brent Way is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Dollis Park, N3 Dollis Park runs from Regent’s Park Road to St. Mary’s School. Dollis Road, N3 Dollis Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Elm Park Road, N3 Elm Park Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Nether Street, N3 Nether Street was recognised by the mid-14th century as an old street, sometimes called ’Lower Street’. Sellers Hall Close, N3 Sellers Hall Close was built on the site of a house called Elm Grange, demolished in 1894. St Pauls Way, N3 St Pauls Way is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Stuart Court, N3 Stuart Court is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. The Grove, N3 The Grove is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. West Avenue, N3 West Avenue is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area.
Finchley Central is a tube station which covers the central part of Finchley - an area formerly called Church End.
Finchley formed an ancient parish in the county of Middlesex, becoming a municipal borough in 1933, and has been part of Greater London since 1965.
The main road runs on a north-south axis, and is called Regents Park Road from the North Circular Road until it reaches the station, where the name changes to Ballards Lane
. Its heart is the ancient district around the St Mary's Church, where the imposing tower of Pardes House (formally Christ's College Finchley), is a landmark. There is a public library, Church End Library and Finchley police station. Along Ballards Lane
, close to the station, is a retail district with some Victorian and Edwardian shoping parade as well as modern shops including Tesco.
To the southeast, along East End Road are two institutions of note Avenue House home to the Finchley Society, and a Jewish cultural centre the Sternberg Centre. South, along Regents Park Road is College Farm the last farm in Finchley, and a statue, referred to locally as 'The Naked Lady', but more properly called La Delivrance. Victoria Park is the home of Finchley Carnival, a large fun fair held every year in July, dating back to 1905.
Finchley Central station opened on 22 August 1867 as part of the Great Northern Railway's line between Finsbury Park and Edgware stations. As part of London Underground's Northern Heights plan, Northern line trains started serving the station in 1940 and main line passenger services ended in 1941.
The station was originally named 'Finchley and Hendon'.