Fitzjohn’s Avenue, NW3

Road in/near Hampstead, existing between 1888 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.55271 -0.17593, 51.552 -0.175) 

Fitzjohn’s Avenue, NW3

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · * · NW3 ·
September
2
2020

Fitzjohn’s Avenue links Hampstead with Swiss Cottage.

Before Fitzjohn’s Avenue was built, Hampstead was bounded to the south by a broad belt of green meadows, known as the Shepherds’ or Conduit Fields, across which ran a pathway sloping up to the southwestern corner of the village, and terminating near Church Row. On the eastern side of these fields wass an old well or conduit, called the Shepherd’s Well, the source of the River Tyburn.

In the early 1870s, it was proposed by some of the inhabitants of Hampstead to purchase a portion of these grassy slopes, and to devote them to public use as a park.

However, in 1871 F. J. Clark had suggested a new road direct to Hampstead and in 1872 Spencer Maryon Wilson was hoping to create a "truly imposing road". In 1875 he contracted with John Culverhouse, who since 1871 had been the tenant at will of the two main demesne farms, to make Fitzjohn’s Avenue, from College Crescent off Finchley Road to Greenhill Road, and to plant ornamental trees.

In 1888, under the Town Improvement Scheme, the alleyways and courtyards cluttering Hampstead Village were cleared, Heath Street was extended and Fitzjohns Avenue created across green fields to provide better access to the West End.

At the same time that the avenue was constructed the Tyburn River - a tiny stream running through the fields, was diverted underground along the length of Fitzjohn’s Avenue.




Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence


Fitzjohn’s Avenue sign

Fitzjohn’s Avenue sign

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
6 Ellerdale Road 6 Ellerdale Road is a house built by the Arts and Crafts movement architect Richard Norman Shaw for himself in the period 1874 to 1876.
An introduction to Hampstead by G.E. Mitton (1902) This text originates from "The Fascination of Hampstead" by Geraldine Edith Mitton (published 1902)
Frognal Bridge Where Frognal meets the Finchley Road, there is an indiscernible dip...
Hampstead station (1907) Hampstead station pictured at its opening in 1907
Hampstead Town This article first appeared in ’A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9, Hampstead, Paddington’.
Hampstead tunnel Hampstead Tunnel, 1166 yards long, was built as part of the Hampstead Junction Railway, and opened on 2 January 1860.
Piecemeal building The infant River Westbourne crossed, what in 1900, was still a boggy field.
Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel The Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel is a place of worship and a member of the General Assembly of Unitarian and Free Christian Churches, the umbrella organisation for British Unitarians.
Rosslyn House Rosslyn (Roslyn) House, which stood between Wedderburn and Lyndhurst Roads, was one of the last of the famous old Hampstead houses to be destroyed.
Shepherd’s Well Shepherd’s Well, whose flow was thought to be nearly as pure as distilled water, is the source of the River Tyburn.
Source of the Kilbourne The easternmost branch of the River Westbourne rises just south of the centre of Hampstead,
St John, Hampstead St John-at-Hampstead is a Church of England parish church dedicated to St John the Evangelist.
St Stephen’s Church St. Stephen’s is a former church building, sited on Rosslyn Hill at its junction with Pond Street, a steep slope adjacent to the Royal Free Hospital.
The Royal School, Hampstead The Royal School, Hampstead, was an independent girls’ day and boarding school. The school educated girls aged 3-16.
Two streams meet Somewhere beneath the basement of 16 Frognal, NW3 two tributaries of the River Westbourne meet.
University College School University College School, generally known as UCS, is an independent school charity situated in northwest London.

NEARBY STREETS
Akenside Road, NW3 Akenside Road is a street named after a famous local resident.
Arkwright Road, NW3 Arkwright Road, NW3 runs from Fitzjohn’s Avenue to Finchley Road.
Baynes Mews, NW3 Baynes Mews is a mews within the conservation area of Belsize Park.
Belsize Avenue, NW3 Belsize Avenue was once the driveway to the former Belsize House.
Belsize Court Garages, NW3 Belsize Court Garages were built by Willett in around 1880 as livery stables.
Belsize Court, NW3 Belsize Court is a street in Hampstead.
Belsize Crescent, NW3 Belsize Crescent is a street in Hampstead.
Belsize Cresent, NW3 Belsize Cresent, NW3 dates from 1868.
Belsize Lane, NW3 Belsize Lane is a thoroughfare linking Rosslyn Hill with Swiss Cottage.
Belsize Mews, NW3 This is a street in the NW3 postcode area
Belsize Park Mews, NW3 Belsize Park Mews lies in the Belsize Park Conservation Area.
Belsize Place, NW3 Belsize Place is a street in Hampstead.
Belsize Terrace, NW3 Belsize Terrace is a street in Hampstead.
Carlingford Road, NW3 Carlingford Road runs between Pilgrim’s Lane and Willoughby Road.
Church Row, NW3 Church Row is a street in Hampstead.
Coach House Yard, NW3 Coach House Yard is a street in Hampstead.
Connaught Mews, NW3 Connaught Mews is a street in Hampstead.
Daleham Mews, NW3 Daleham Mews is a mews in Belsize Park.
Downshire Hill, NW3 Downshire Hill is a street in Hampstead.
Ellerdale Close, NW3 Ellerdale Close is a street in Hampstead.
Ellerdale Road, NW3 Ellerdale Road was added to the streetscape of Hampstead in 1874.
Frognal Close, NW3 Frognal Close is a street in Hampstead.
Frognal Court, NW3 Frognal Court is a street in Hampstead.
Frognal Gardens, NW3 This is a street in the NW3 postcode area
Frognal Parade, NW3 Frognal Parade is a parade of shops lying beyond Finchley Road and Frognal station.
Frognal Way, NW3 Frognal Way is a street in Hampstead.
Frognal, NW3 A road called Frognal runs from Church Row in Hampstead downhill to Finchley Road and follows the course of a stream which goes on to form the River Westbourne.
Greenhill, NW3 Greenhill is a street in Hampstead.
Hampstead Gate, NW3 Hampstead Gate is a street in Hampstead.
Hampstead Green, NW3 Hampstead Green is a street in Hampstead.
Hampstead High Street, NW3 Hampstead High Street is a street in Hampstead.
Hampstead Hill Gardens, NW3 Hampstead Hill Gardens is a street in Hampstead.
Holly Bush Vale, NW3 Holly Bush Vale is a street in Hampstead.
Holly Walk, NW3 Holly Walk connects Holly Hill with Church Row.
Keats Grove, NW3 John Keats lived in the road and his house is now a museum.
Kemplay Road, NW3 Kemplay Road is a street in Hampstead.
Lindfield Gardens, NW3 Lindfield Gardens is a street in Hampstead.
Lithos Road, NW3 Lithos Road is a part of the NW3 postal area which lies west of the Finchley Road.
Lowlands, NW3 Lowlands is a street in Hampstead.
Lyndhurst Gardens, NW3 Lyndhurst Gardens is a street in Hampstead.
Lyndhurst Road, NW3 Lyndhurst Road is a street in Hampstead.
Lyndhurst Terrace, NW3 Lyndhurst Terrace is a street in Hampstead.
Maresfield Gardens, NW3 Maresfield Gardens is a street in Hampstead.
Martys Yard, NW3 Martys Yard is a street in Hampstead.
Midland Crescent, NW3 Midland Crescent is a street in Hampstead.
Netherhall Gardens, NW3 Netherhall Gardens is a street in Hampstead.
Netherhall Way, NW3 Netherhall Way is a street in Hampstead.
Nutley Terrace, NW3 Nutley Terrace is a street in Hampstead.
Old Brewery Mews, NW3 Old Brewery Mews is a street in Hampstead.
Oriel Court, NW3 Oriel Court is a street in Hampstead.
Oriel Place, NW3 Oriel Place is a street in Hampstead.
Ornan Road, NW3 Ornan Road is a street in Hampstead.
Perceval Avenue, NW3 Perceval Avenue is a street in Hampstead.
Perrin’s Lane, NW3 This is a street in the NW3 postcode area
Perrins Court, NW3 Perrins Court is a street in Hampstead.
Perrins Walk, NW3 Perrins Walk is a street in Hampstead.
Pilgrim’s Lane, NW3 This is a street in the NW3 postcode area
Pilgrim’s Place, NW3 This is a street in the NW3 postcode area
Pilgrims Lane, NW3 Pilgrims Lane is a street in Hampstead.
Pilgrims Place, NW3 Pilgrims Place is a street in Hampstead.
Prince Arthur Mews, NW3 Prince Arthur Mews is a street in Hampstead.
Prince Arthur Road, NW3 Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn and son of Queen Victoria opened a home for sailor’s daughters in the area in 1869.
Princess Mews, NW3 Princess Mews is a mews of Belsize Park.
Rosemont Road, NW3 Rosemont Road is a street in Hampstead.
Rosslyn Hill, NW3 Rosslyn Hill is a road connecting the south end of Hampstead High Street to the north end of Haverstock Hill.
Rosslyn Mews, NW3 Rosslyn Mews is a street in Hampstead.
Rudall Crescent, NW3 Rudall Crescent was laid out by a builder John Culverhouse in 1878.
Shepherd’s Path, NW3 Shepherd’s Path is a road in the NW3 postcode area
Shepherd's Path, NW3 Shepherd?s Path is a street in Hampstead.
Shepherds Walk, NW3 Shepherds Walk is a street in Hampstead.
Sumpter Close, NW3 Sumpter Close is a street in Hampstead.
The Gables, NW3 The Gables is a road in the NW3 postcode area
Thurlow Road, NW3 Thurlow Road is a street in Hampstead.
Vane Close, NW3 Vane Close is a street in Hampstead.
Village Mount, NW3 Village Mount is a street in Hampstead.
Wandsworth Place, NW3 Wandsworth Place is a street in Hampstead.
Waterhouse Close, NW3 Waterhouse Close is a street in Hampstead.
Wedderburn Road, NW3 Wedderburn Road is a street in Hampstead.
Willoughby Road, NW3 Willoughby Road is a street in Hampstead.
Yorkshire Grey Place, NW3 Yorkshire Grey Place is a street in Hampstead.


Hampstead

Hampstead though now considered an integral part of London, has retained much of its village charm.

Hampstead is on a steep hill and the tube station platforms are the deepest on the London Underground network, at 58.5 metres below ground level. It has the deepest lift shaft on the Underground.

Although early records of Hampstead itself can be found in a grant by King Ethelred the Unready to the monastery of St. Peter's at Westminster (AD 986) and it is referred to in the Domesday Book (1086), the history of Hampstead is generally traced back to the 17th century.

Trustees of the Well started advertising the medicinal qualities of the chalybeate waters (water impregnated with iron) in 1700. Although Hampstead Wells was initially successful, its popularity declined in the 1800s due to competition with other London spas. The spa was demolished in 1882, although a water fountain was left behind.

Hampstead started to expand following the opening of the North London Railway in the 1860s (now on the London Overground), and expanded further after the tube station opened in 1907.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Fitzjohn's Avenue sign
TUM image id: 1273
Shepherd’s Well in 1820
TUM image id: 2961
Wedderburn Road, NW3
TUM image id: 1452676133
Holly Walk, NW3
TUM image id: 1455451397
Yorkshire Grey Place, NW3
TUM image id: 1456946471
Victorian house under construction
TUM image id: 1483541885
Print-friendly version of this page