Print-friendly version of this page
Hallswelle Parade is a street in Golders Green.
Arden Road, N3 Arden Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Church End, N3 Church End is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Creswick Walk, NW11 Creswick Walk is a 1911 cul-de-sac designed by G.L. Sutcliffe - his first in the Suburb. Cyprus Road, N3 Cyprus Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Fitzalan Road, N3 Fitzalan Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Golders Green Road, NW11 Golders Green Road - known by many other names too during its history - lies along an ancient road from London to Hendon. Gravel Hill, N3 Across the junction of East End Road and Regents Park Road, Gravel Hill runs to Hendon Lane. Greenacres, N3 Greenacres is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Hogarth Hill, NW11 Hogarth Hill is a steep road connecting Willifield Way and Addison Way. The Avenue, N3 The Avenue is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. The Orchard, NW11 57 flats were built in The Orchard in 1909, one of the earliest roads of Hampstead Garden Suburb. Windsor Close, N3 Windsor Close is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Wordsworth Walk, NW11 Wordsworth Walk was built between 1910 and 1911 by Herbert Welch, then aged twenty-seven.
Temple Fortune is a place in the London Borough of Barnet to the north of Golders Green. It is principally a shopping district used by residents of the Hampstead Garden Suburb.
It is likely that the name Temple Fortune
refers to the Knights of St John, who had land here (c.1240). Fortune may be derived from a small settlement (tun) on the route from Hampstead to Hendon arrived at before arriving at Hendon. Here a lane from Finchley, called Ducksetters Lane (c.1475), intersected. It is likely that the settlement was originally the Bleccanham estate (c.900s). By the end of the 18th century Temple Fortune Farm was established on the northern side of Farm Close.
The building of the Finchley Road
(c.1827), replaced Ducksetters Lane as a route to Finchley, and resulted in the development of a small hamlet. Along the Finchley Road
was a number of villas (c1830s), joined by the Royal Oak public house (c.1850s). By the end of the 19th century there were around 300 people living in the area, which included a laundry, a small hospital for children with skin diseases. The principle industry was brick making.
The significant moment in Temple Fortune's development into a suburban area occurred in 1907. The establishment of the Hampstead Garden Suburb brought major changes to the area east of the Finchley Road
. Temple Fortune Farm was demolished, and along the front of the road, the building of Arcade, and Gateway House (c.1911) established the Hampstead Garden Suburbs retail district. Also significant in that year was the opening of Golders Green tube station. Although the area had been served by horse drawn omnibuses (since at least the 1880s) and later motor buses (from 1907), it was the tram line of 1910, connecting Church End
Finchley with Golders Green Station, which led to the development of the area west of the Finchley road. The Carmelite Monastery was established in Bridge Lane