Print-friendly version of this page
Heather Gardens is a street in Golders Green.
Arden Road, N3 Arden Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Central Circus, NW4 Central Circus is the postal designation for addresses around Hendon Central circus. Central Square, NW11 Central Square was the original centre of Hampstead Garden Suburb due to the further development of the Suburb in the 1920s and 1930s, it is now located towards the west. Chandos Way, NW11 Chandos Way runs off of Wellgarth Road and Britten Close, in turn, runs off Chandos Way. Corringham Road, NW11 Corringham Road is a manifestation of designer Raymond Unwin’s later ’Georgian’ phase. Creswick Walk, NW11 Creswick Walk is a 1911 cul-de-sac designed by G.L. Sutcliffe - his first in the Suburb. Fitzalan Road, N3 Fitzalan Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Golders Green Road, NW11 Golders Green Road - known by many other names too during its history - lies along an ancient road from London to Hendon. Greyhound Hill, NW4 Greyhound Hill was part of a medieval route which ran from Church End, Hendon to Mill Hill at the Three Hammers pub on the Ridgeway. Hampstead Way, NW11 Hampstead Way was one of the major roads designed for Hampstead Garden Suburb. Hogarth Hill, NW11 Hogarth Hill is a steep road connecting Willifield Way and Addison Way. Oxgate Centre, NW2 Oxgate Centre is a road serving an industrial estate west of the Edgware Road. Pennine Drive, NW2 Pennine Drive is the main road of the so-called ’Golders Green Estate’. Rotherwick Road, NW11 Rotherwick Road, like Corringham Road, links Golders Green with Hampstead Garden Suburb. South Square, NW11 South Square is the name of the southern part of Central Square, Hampstead Garden Suburb. The Burroughs, NW4 The Burroughs, now simply a road, referred to a hamlet until the 1890s. The Orchard, NW11 57 flats were built in The Orchard in 1909, one of the earliest roads of Hampstead Garden Suburb. Thornbury, NW4 Thornbury is a residential block in Church End, Hendon. Tilling Road, NW2 Tilling Road was named after Thomas Tilling, founder of the London omnibus firm. Wordsworth Walk, NW11 Wordsworth Walk was built between 1910 and 1911 by Herbert Welch, then aged twenty-seven.
Golders Green was a rural hamlet at the crossroads of Finchley Road and North End Road until the arrival of the tube in 1907.Golders Green
station was opened by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR, now part of the Northern Line) on 22 June 1907. It was one of the railway's two northern terminals (the other being at Archway) and was also the site of the railway's depot.
Before World War I plans were made to extend the CCE&HR north from Golders Green
to Hendon and Edgware to open up new areas of the Middlesex countryside to development and to create a source of new passengers. The war postponed the construction of the extension and work did not begin until 12 June 1922. The first section of the extension, as far as Hendon Central opened on 19 November 1923.