Print-friendly version of this page
Hendon Lane is one of the medieval roads of Finchley.
Two routes from the south ran to Church End
Hendon Lane in the south-west was called Finchley Hill in 1659 and 1814 and was probably the ancient Alcockes Lane
Meanwhile, Ducksetters Street or Lane, was mentioned from 1475 onwards. This ran from Golders Green a little west of the modern Regent’s Park Road. The two roads joined just south of Church End
, where in 1365 the road was called Church Street.
The road continued north to Finchley Common as Ballards Lane (Barrow Lane), so named in 1424.
In 1826 there were three bridges or fords over Dollis Brook. The brook was bridged by Hendon Lane at Finchley Bridge, mentioned in 1438 and in disrepair in 1623. A three-arched brick bridge, 16 ft. high and 13 ft. wide, was built in 1777 by Mrs Aislabie of Hendon Place, who also dammed the stream to form a lake, and in 1826 the bridge was said to be of inconvenient height. Finchley inhabitants were indicted for neglecting to repair the bridge in 1623 and Middlesex inhabitants in 1820. It was repaired in 1844 and had been rebuilt by 1934.
Avenue House Avenue House is a large Victorian mansion (Grade II listed) situated on East End Road. Grass Farm Grass Farm was developed in the late 19th century. Arden Road, N3 Arden Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Church End, N3 Church End is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Cyprus Road, N3 Cyprus Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Fitzalan Road, N3 Fitzalan Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Gravel Hill, N3 Across the junction of East End Road and Regents Park Road, Gravel Hill runs to Hendon Lane. Greenacres, N3 Greenacres is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Rectory Close, N3 Rectory Close is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Village Road, N3 Village Road is the heart of the Finchley Garden Village conservation area. Windsor Close, N3 Windsor Close is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area.
Finchley Central is a tube station which covers the central part of Finchley - an area formerly called Church End.
Finchley formed an ancient parish in the county of Middlesex, becoming a municipal borough in 1933, and has been part of Greater London since 1965.
The main road runs on a north-south axis, and is called Regents Park Road
from the North Circular Road until it reaches the station, where the name changes to Ballards Lane. Its heart is the ancient district around the St Mary’s Church, where the imposing tower of Pardes House (formally Christ’s College Finchley), is a landmark. There is a public library, Church End
Library and Finchley police station. Along Ballards Lane, close to the station, is a retail district with some Victorian and Edwardian shoping parade as well as modern shops including Tesco.
To the southeast, along East End Road are two institutions of note Avenue House home to the Finchley Society, and a Jewish cultural centre the Sternberg Centre. South, along Regents Park Road
is College Farm the last farm in Finchley, and a statue, referred to locally as ’The Naked Lady’, but more properly called La Delivrance. Victoria Park is the home of Finchley Carnival, a large fun fair held every year in July, dating back to 1905.
Finchley Central station opened on 22 August 1867 as part of the Great Northern Railway’s line between Finsbury Park and Edgware stations. As part of London Underground’s Northern Heights plan, Northern line trains started serving the station in 1940 and main line passenger services ended in 1941.
The station was originally named ’Finchley and Hendon’.