Print-friendly version of this page
Farrant Street is the missing link in the alphabetti spaghetti of the streetnames of the Queen’s Park
While there was never a street beginning with the letter J, the original streets of the Queen’s Park
Estate began with the letters A through to P.
Farrant Street and Peach Street no longer exist (though there is a new Peach Road
nearby). Peach Street was demolished by a 500 pound German bomb dropped by parachute. It left a big crater and the whole street was demolished. Debris from the blast was blown into the air and landed as far away as Willesden where "it fell among people coming out of a cinema."
Farrant Street went a different way. One amenity not provided, although mentioned in the initial Queen’s Park
Estate prospectus, had been an open space for recreation. When Farrant Street was demolished in the 1970s, residents finally got their little oasis of greenery - a century after it was promised.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Farrant Street, c.1900
6 East Row, W10 6 East Row was a house along East Row which was demolished in 1960 as part of slum clearance in the area. Beethoven Street School Beethoven Street School was opened in 1881 to serve the community of the newly-built Queen's Park Estate. Chamberlayne Farm Chamberlain (Wood) Farm developed out of the manor of Chambers, named after Richard de Camera, an early 13th century cleric. Clayton Arms A pub which was situated halfway down West Row in Kensal Town. Gas Light and Coke Company The gasometers of the Gas Light and Coke company dominated North Kensington until demolition in the late 20th century. Harrow Road (1920s) Harrow Road in the 1920s, looking south east towards the Prince of Wales pub and the Emmanuel Church spire. Hudson's the chemist (1906) Hudson's, a chemist shop, stood on the corner of Ilbert Street and Third Avenue in the Queen's Park estate. Jack of Newbury The Jack of Newbury stood at the corner of East Row and Kensal Road until it was bombed on 2 October 1940. Kensal House There are two Kensal Houses in London W10 - this was the original Lancefield Coachworks Lancefield Coachworks was a builder of bespoke bodies for expensive car chassis always introducing sporting elements into designs. Middle Row School Middle Row School was established in the late 19th century to provide education to the children of Kensal New Town. Portobello Arms The Portobello Arms was a former pub in Kensal Town, established in 1842. Queen’s Park Library Queen’s Park Library was built to improve the minds of the new Queen’s Park Estate residents. The Flora The Flora is situated on Harrow Road, W10. The Plough From the sixteenth century onwards, the Plough stood beside the Harrow Road. Wedlake Street Baths In a time when most had somewhere to live but few had somewhere to wash at home, public baths were the place to go... Western Arms The Western Arms was a pub situated on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Kensal Road. Absalom Road, W10 Absalom Road was the former name for the western section of Golborne Gardens. Adair Tower, W10 Adair Tower is a post-war tower block on the corner of Adair Road and Appleford Road, W10. Alperton Street, W10 Alperton Street is the first alphabetically named street in the Queen’s Park Estate, W10. Banister Road, W10 Banister Road just scrapes being classed as belonging to the Queen's Park Estate. Bosworth Road, W10 Bosworth Road was the first street built as Kensal New Town started to expand to the east. Brunel Mews, W10 Brunel Mews, a tiny cul-de-sac, is the northern extension of Sixth Avenue. Dart Street, W10 Dart Street runs eastwards from Third Avenue and becomes Marban Road. Droop Street, W10 Droop Street is one of the main east-west streets of the Queen’s Park Estate. East Row, W10 East Row is a road with a long history within Kensal Town. Huxley Street, W10 Huxley Street is the only street beginning with an H on the Queen’s Park Estate. Kensal House, W10 Kensal House (1936), was designed to show off the power of gas and originally had no electricity at all. Kensal Road, W10 Kensal Road, originally called Albert Road, is the heart of Kensal Town. Kilburn Lane, W10 Kilburn Lane runs around the edge of the Queen’s Park Estate in London W10. Maple Walk, W10 Post war development on the Queen’s Park Estate created some plant-based street names. Middle Row, W10 Middle Row is one of the original streets laid out as Kensal New Town. Mozart Street, W10 Mozart Street was part of the second wave of development of the Queen’s Park Estate. Oliphant Street, W10 Oliphant Street was the final alphabetical street on the original Queen’s Park Estate naming scheme. Peach Road, W10 Paach Road is one of the newer streets of the Queen’s Park Estate in London W10 Regent Street, NW10 Regent Street, otherwise an obscure side street is one of the oldest roads in Kensal Green. Ronan Walk, W10 Ronan Walk was one of the streets constructed in a 1970s build parallel to the Harrow Road. Severn Avenue, W10 Severn Avenue is a newer thoroughfare in the Queen's Park Estate, London W10 Southern Row, W10 Southern Row was originally South Row to match the other streets in the neighbourhood. Wedlake Street, W10 Wedlake Street arrived as the second wave of building in Kensal Town was completed. Western Dwellings, W10 Western Dwellings were a row of houses, opposite the Western Gas Works, housing some of the workers.
The part of Queen's Park which is in the W10 postcode and City of Westminster, is known as the Queens Park Estate.
It was built from 1874 by the Artisans, Labourers & General Dwellings Company. The architecture of that estate of some 2000 small houses is distinctively Gothic-revival, with polychrome brickwork, pinnacles and turrets along the bigger roads.
It retains First Avenue
, Second Avenue
etc up to Sixth Avenue
, and originally had streets A-P. The street names have been made into full words, (Alperton Street
, Barfett Street
, Caird Street
, Droop Street
, Embrook Street, Farrant Street, Galton Street
, Huxley Street
, Ilbert Street
, Kilravock Street
, Lothrop Street
, Marne Street
, Nutbourne Street
, Oliphant Street
, Peach Street).
It was on this estate that the first QPR footballers had their homes.