Hillview Gardens, NW4

Road in/near Hendon

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.58878 -0.21344) 

Hillview Gardens, NW4

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Hendon · NW4 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Hillview Gardens is a street in Hendon.




NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Brent Street The largest hamlet of Hendon parish was Brent Street. It retained its identity until the late 19th, when building linked it with Church End and the Burroughs.
Jewish Military Museum The Jewish Military Museum features exhibits about Jews serving in the British armed forces from the 18th century to the present day.

NEARBY STREETS
Albert Road, NW4 Albert Road is a street in Hendon.
Alexandra Road, NW4 Alexandra Road is a street in Hendon.
Aprey Gardens, NW4 Aprey Gardens is a street in Hendon.
Bell Lane, NW11 Bell Lane is a road in the NW11 postcode area
Bell Lane, NW4 Bell Lane long connected Hendon with Temple Fortune,
Belle Vue Estate, NW4 Belle Vue Estate is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Belle Vue Road, NW4 Belle Vue Road is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Boltmore Close, NW4 Boltmore Close is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Boyne Avenue, NW4 Boyne Avenue is a street in Hendon.
Brent Street, NW4 Brent Street was a section of a main road north out of London.
Brinsdale Road, NW4 Brinsdale Road is a street in Hendon.
Carol Close, NW4 Carol Close is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Christchurch Hall, NW4 Christchurch Hall is a street in Hendon.
Christchurch Square, E9 Christchurch Square is a road in the E9 postcode area
Colroy Court, NW11 Colroy Court is a road in the NW11 postcode area
Courtleigh Gardens, NW11 Courtleigh Gardens is a street in Golders Green.
Cowley Place, NW4 Cowley Place is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Fairholme Close, N3 Fairholme Close is a road in the N3 postcode area
Finchley Lane, NW4 Finchley Lane connects from Church End to Finchley.
First Avenue, NW4 First Avenue is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Glebe Crescent, NW4 Glebe Crescent is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Golders Rise, NW4 Golders Rise is a street in Hendon.
Green Lane, NW4 Green Lane is a street in Hendon.
Green Walk, NW4 Green Walk is a street in Hendon.
Greenbank Crescent, NW4 Greenbank Crescent is a street in Hendon.
Harmony Way, NW4 Harmony Way is a street in Hendon.
Heriot Road, NW4 Heriot Road is a street in Hendon.
Highview Gardens, N3 Highview Gardens is a road in the N3 postcode area
Hillcrest Gardens, N3 Hillcrest Gardens is a road in the N3 postcode area
Holmbrook Drive, NW4 Holmbrook Drive is a street in Hendon.
Holmfield Avenue, NW4 Holmfield Avenue is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Kings Close, NW4 Kings Close is a street in Hendon.
Lea Wood, NW4 Lea Wood is a street in Hendon.
Linfield Close, NW4 Linfield Close is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Lisselton House, NW4 Residential block
Lower Ground Sentinel Square, NW4 Lower Ground Sentinel Square is a street in Hendon.
Mills Grove, NW4 Mills Grove is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Parklands Drive, N3 Parklands Drive is a road in the N3 postcode area
Parson Street, NW4 Parson Street was already in existence by 1321.
PO Box 4 Hillcrest Gardens is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Prestige Way, NW4 Prestige Way is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Riverside Gardens, N3 Riverside Gardens is a road in the N3 postcode area
Rockfield House, NW4 Residential block
Second Avenue, NW4 Second Avenue is a street in Hendon.
Sentinel Square, NW4 Sentinel Square is a street in Hendon.
Southbourne Crescent, NW4 Southbourne Crescent is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Studio Mews, NW4 Studio Mews is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Tenterden Gardens, NW4 Tenterden Gardens is a street in Hendon.
Tenterden Grove, NW4 Tenterden Grove is a street in Hendon.
The Crest, NW4 The Crest is a street in Hendon.
The Garage, NW4 The Garage is a street in Hendon.
Victoria Road, NW4 Victoria Road is a street in Hendon.
Westhorpe Gardens, NW4 Westhorpe Gardens is a street in Hendon.


Queen's Park

Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Hendon Central circus
TUM image id: 1025
Shire Hall
TUM image id: 1030
Hendon House
TUM image id: 1032
Farmhouse
TUM image id: 1040
Woodstock House
TUM image id: 1050
Hendon coat of arms
TUM image id: 1053
Hoop Lane Cemetery
TUM image id: 1054
Golders Lodge
TUM image id: 1058
Ionic Cinema
TUM image id: 1059
Hendon Greyhound Stadium
TUM image id: 1060
Hendon Fever Hospital
TUM image id: 1072
Print-friendly version of this page