Print-friendly version of this page
Hocroft Road is a street in Cricklewood.
Avenue Farm Cowhouse Farm was linked to Hodford Farm in Golders Green for a long period. As Cricklewood suburbanised, the farm became surrounded by housing. Child's Hill Childs Hill, now a select area, was formerly reknowned for bricks and laundering. Fortune Green Fortune Green was originally part of the district of Hampstead but became physically separated from it by the building of the new turnpike road (now Finchley Road) in the 1830s. Ardwick Road, NW2 Ardwick Road was named Major Ardwick Burgess who developed the road. Finchley Road, NW2 Finchley Road runs briefly through the NW2 postcode as it passes through Childs Hill.
Temple Park is one of the smaller suburbs of north London.
Just a few streets in total, Temple Park lies in the former grounds of a large house built along the (then new) Finchley Road
in the 1830s.
The arrival of the Finchley road lessened the area’s isolation. A house called Temple Park was built on the smaller Temples estate probably in the 1830s by Henry Weech Burgess, a prosperous Lancastrian. Temple Park had become the Anglo-French College by 1873.
A few houses had been built by 1878 and in 1880 Weech Road
was constructed between Fortune Green Road
and Finchley Road
on the portion of Teil's estate purchased by the Burgesses in 1855. Four houses were built there in 1880 and another 12 in 1887 by A. R. Amer and Becket.
In 1890 Kidderpore Hall was acquired by Westfield College, which made considerable additions to it in 1904-5, and the rest of the estate given over to the builders.
By the turn of the twentieth century, building was proceeding on the Burgess Park (Temples) estate: the same builder, George Hart, was responsible for Briardale Road and Clorane Gardens, where the houses were built between 1900 and 1910.
In 1905 on the Burgess Park estate 18 houses were built in Finchley Road
, possibly including nos. 601 and 603 designed by Voysey, and by 1913 building was complete in Burgess Hill
, Ardwick Road
, and Weech Road
and two houses had been built in Ranulf Road
. In 1901 a small piece on the western side of the Burgess Park estate was added to the cemetery.
During the Second World War bombing destroyed several houses on the Burgess Park estate, including some in Ardwick Road
and two of Voysey's houses, nos. 601 and 603 Finchley Road
, which were replaced by houses designed by R. Seifert.