Print-friendly version of this page
Hoop Lane was originally called Wheel Lane.
Golders Green, looking south (1905) This photo from the London Transport Collection shows Golders Green crossroads looking south in 1905. While this predates the arrival of the Hampstead Tube (Northern Line) by a couple of years’ land speculation is already taking place. Hampstead Garden Suburb Hampstead Garden Suburb is a suburb, north of Hampstead, west of Highgate, and east of Golders Green. It is an example of early twentieth-century domestic architecture and town planning located in the London Borough of Barnet in northwest London. Central Square, NW11 Central Square was the original centre of Hampstead Garden Suburb due to the further development of the Suburb in the 1920s and 1930s, it is now located towards the west. Corringham Road, NW11 Corringham Road is a manifestation of designer Raymond Unwin’s later ’Georgian’ phase. Hampstead Way, NW11 Hampstead Way was one of the major roads designed for Hampstead Garden Suburb. Rotherwick Road, NW11 Rotherwick Road, like Corringham Road, links Golders Green with Hampstead Garden Suburb. South Square, NW11 South Square is the name of the southern part of Central Square, Hampstead Garden Suburb.
Golders Green was a rural hamlet at the crossroads of Finchley Road and North End Road until the arrival of the tube in 1907.
Golders Green station was opened by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR, now part of the Northern Line) on 22 June 1907. It was one of the railway's two northern terminals (the other being at Archway) and was also the site of the railway's depot.
Before World War I plans were made to extend the CCE&HR north from Golders Green to Hendon and Edgware to open up new areas of the Middlesex countryside to development and to create a source of new passengers. The war postponed the construction of the extension and work did not begin until 12 June 1922. The first section of the extension, as far as Hendon Central opened on 19 November 1923.