Print-friendly version of this page
James Close is a street in Golders Green.
Arden Road, N3 Arden Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Ashley Lane, NW4 Ashley Lane is divided into an official road and a track which is part of a nature reserve. Church End, N3 Church End is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Cyprus Road, N3 Cyprus Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Fitzalan Road, N3 Fitzalan Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Golders Green Road, NW11 Golders Green Road - known by many other names too during its history - lies along an ancient road from London to Hendon. Gravel Hill, N3 Across the junction of East End Road and Regents Park Road, Gravel Hill runs to Hendon Lane. Greenacres, N3 Greenacres is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Pennine Drive, NW2 Pennine Drive is the main road of the so-called ’Golders Green Estate’. Village Road, N3 Village Road is the heart of the Finchley Garden Village conservation area. Windsor Close, N3 Windsor Close is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area.
Golders Green was a rural hamlet at the crossroads of Finchley Road and North End Road until the arrival of the tube in 1907.
Golders Green station was opened by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR, now part of the Northern Line) on 22 June 1907. It was one of the railway's two northern terminals (the other being at Archway) and was also the site of the railway's depot.
Before World War I plans were made to extend the CCE&HR north from Golders Green to Hendon and Edgware to open up new areas of the Middlesex countryside to development and to create a source of new passengers. The war postponed the construction of the extension and work did not begin until 12 June 1922. The first section of the extension, as far as Hendon Central opened on 19 November 1923.