Lakeside Road, W14

Road in/near Holland Park, existing between the 1870s and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
18.232.51.19 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Road · Holland Park · W14 ·
July
15
2019

Lakeside Road was built on the site of artificial lakes formed by local brickworks.

In the mid 19th century, the area from Brook Green to Shepherd’s Bush & east to Counter’s Creek was almost wholly devoted to brickmaking. Lakeside Road lay in the heart of the gravel pits between Shepherd’s Bush and Brook Green, known as the ‘Ocean’ owing to its marshes and lying water caused by digging for brick clay.
Black Bull Ditch (or Parr’s Ditch) was first mentioned in 1493 as a man-made tributary of the Stamford Brook, flowing into the Thames south of Chancellor’s Wharf where it formed the boundary between Hammersmith and Fulham.

The hamlet of Brook Green, around the ditch, was established by the 16th century, originating as an outlying farm of a manor. It was largely marshland with the brook running through, and where an annual fair was held until 1823.

Nearer to the River Thames, the good soil enabled farmers to grow soft fruits such as gooseberries, red currants, raspberries and strawberries which were taken by boat to sell at Covent Garden market.

Further from the Thames during the early 19th century a considerable amount of the local farmland was turned over to the creation of brickfields. The clay soil provided good building materials for London as it continued to expand westwards. Many ponds and lakes were formed as a result of this activity and the name of Lakeside Road is a reminder of this extremely profitable business. The brook itself became polluted with waste from nearby brick fields, was eventually covered, and finally converted to a sewer in 1876.

On the site of Lakeside Road, lay the ’Ocean’ - an area of flooded workings.

Brook Green did not begin to be desirable for suburban expansion until after the 1850s. The largest proportion of properties were built later in the 19th century as a response to improved transport links in the area and to increased pressure for housing.

By 1896 the Victorian building boom was largely complete. There are a number of street names that no longer exist. Alexandra Road became part of Milson Road, Havelock Road became Irving Road, while Craven Cottages are now Hofland Road (although the cottages themselves still exist).

Lakeside Road started its life as Wharton Road in the 1870s. On 13 March 1906 it was renamed Rayleigh Road and became Lakeside Road by the late 1940s.


Main source: The Fulham and Hammersmith Historical Society | To foster and en
Further citations and sources


xxx

In the mid 19th century, the area from Brook Green to Shepherd’s Bush & east to Counter’s Creek was almost wholly devoted to brickmaking. Lakeside Road lay in the heart of the gravel pits between Shepherd’s Bush and Brook Green, known as the ‘Ocean’ owing to its marshes and lying water caused by digging for brick clay.
User unknown/public domain


 

Holland Park

Holland Park is a district, an underground station (and indeed a park) in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.

Holland Park has a reputation as an affluent and fashionable area, known for attractive large Victorian townhouses, and high-class shopping and restaurants.

The district was rural until the 19th century. Most of it was formerly the grounds of a Jacobean mansion called Holland House. In the later decades of that century the owners of the house sold off the more outlying parts of its grounds for residential development, and the district which evolved took its name from the house. It also included some small areas around the fringes which had never been part of the grounds of Holland House, notably the Phillimore Estate and the Campden Hill Square area. In the late 19th century a number of notable artists (including Frederic Leighton, P.R.A. and Val Prinsep) and art collectors lived in the area. The group were collectively known as ’The Holland Park Circle’. Holland Park was in most part very comfortably upper middle class when originally developed and in recent decades has gone further upmarket.

Of the 19th-century residential developments of the area, one of the most architecturally interesting is The Royal Crescent designed in 1839. Clearly inspired by its older namesake in Bath, it differs from the Bath crescent in that it is not a true crescent at all but two quadrant terraces each terminated by a circular bow in the Regency style which rises as a tower, a feature which would not have been found in the earlier classically inspired architecture of the 18th century which the design of the crescent seeks to emulate. The design of the Royal Crescent by the planner Robert Cantwell in two halves was dictated by the location of the newly fashionable underground sewers rather than any consideration for architectural aesthetics.

Holland Park is now one of the most expensive residential districts in London.

Holland Park station, on the Central London Railway, opened on 30 July 1900. The station building was refurbished in the 1990s.
Print-friendly version of this page