Landau House, NW2
Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before
Print-friendly version of this page
Earlsfields Between Thorplands on the east and Shoot Up Hill on the west lay several fields called Earlsfields. The Grange The Grange was a large mansion situated on Kilburn High Road until the turn of the twentieth century. Ariel Road, NW6 Ariel Road was formed from the 1885 combination of Ariel Street and Spencer Terrace. Dyne Road, NW6 Dyne Road dates from the just after the opening of Kilburn Station in 1879. Exeter Road, NW6 Exeter Road is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Brondesbury Park is an affluent suburb and electoral ward of the London Borough of Brent.
Brondesbury Park the suburb is centred on the railway station of the same name. It has a number of open spaces, such as Queen's Park and Tiverton Green.
The area was rural until the coming of the railway. The Hampstead Junction Railway route between Willesden Junction (Low Level) and Camden Road (via Gospel Oak) opened in 1860, but at first there were no stations west of Brondesbury. The line was absorbed by the London and North Western Railway in 1867, but it was not until 1 June 1908 that a station at Brondesbury Park was opened.
But already by 1887, Salusbury Road, running parallel to the Edgware Road, joined Kilburn to Brondesbury and Willesden Green. The whole of the Church Commissioners' estate east of Salusbury Road and south of the L. & N.W.R. was built on and there were patches of building and a complete street layout on the Kilburn Park estate to the south. North of the L. & N.W.R. line the street plan was laid out as far as Victoria Road and building was complete on the former Tanners Mead (north of Kilburn Lane and west of Edgware Road) and Elm Lodge estate. There was some building on both sides of the Hampstead Junction line. The rest of the area between the Hampstead Junction line and Willesden Lane
was built up during the late 1880s. South of Willesden Lane
building stretched westward to Paddington cemetery and along Brondesbury Road as far as Salusbury Road by 1896. Most of the Kilburn Park estate was built up, and south of the L. & N.W.R. building stretched westward to merge with Kensal Green.
Brondesbury along with Brondesbury Park attracted a lot of Irish immigrants and then, after the 1930s, many German Jewish people. Willesden as a whole had 3.5 per cent of the population born in Germany, Poland, Russia or Austria in 1951, a lot of these in Brondesbury Park.