Lisson Grove, NW1

Road in/near Marylebone, existing until now

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Road · Marylebone · NW1 ·

The southern end of Lisson Grove was the location of a hamlet and open space, both called Lisson Green.

Lisson Green
Lisson Green is described as a hamlet in the Domesday book.

Originally Lisson Grove was part of the medieval manor of Lilestone which stretched north to Hampstead. Lisson Green broke away as a new manor in 1236 and had its own manor house.

’Lissing Green’ becames a recreation area for Londoners. By the 1790s, the Green was a large open space stretching down to Chapel Street and the Old Marylebone Road. Beside it on Lisson Grove, the Lissing Green/Lissom Grove village was part of a network of country lanes, on the east side of Edgware Road. At the southern end of the Green was the Yorkshire Stingo inn from whence stagecoaches set off for all parts.

Earlier, in 1771, Lisson Green was bought by James Stephens and Daniel Bullock, manufacturers of white lead. They set up the White Lead Manufactory next to the Nursery Garden, with unrecorded consequences to health. But until the late 18th century the district remained essentially rural.

In 1821 Sir Edward Baker, who gave his name to Baker Street, purchased land from Daniel Bullock and built houses on it. The result was to wipe out Lisson Green.

The arrival of the Regent’s Canal in 1810 and the railway at Marylebone in 1899 led to rapid urbanisation of Lisson Grove. As the nineteenth century wore on, the area developed into a slum - there was extreme poverty and the squalor of the homes was notorious. The area was known for drinking, crime and prostitution.

Following the First World War, Prime Minister David Lloyd George announced the ’Homes Fit for Heroes’ scheme. Lisson Grove was to benefit from the plan. In 1924, the Metropolitan Borogh of St Marylebone completed the Fisherton Street Estate of seven blocks built in red-brick neo-Georgian style grouped around courtyards. Noted for their innovation, they were some of the first social housing to include an indoor bathroom and toilet.

Main source: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Further citations and sources


Lisson Green
User unknown/public domain



Marylebone - so good they named it once but pronounced it seven different ways.

Marylebone is an area in the City of Westminster North of Oxford Street and South of Regents Park. Edgware Road forms the Western boundary. Portland Place forms the eastern boundary with the area known as Fitzrovia.

Marylebone gets its name from a church, called St Mary's, that was built on the bank of a small stream or bourne called the Tyburn. The church and the surrounding area later became known as St Mary at the bourne, which over time became shortened to its present form Marylebone.

Today the area is mostly residential with a stylish High Street. It is also notable for its Arab population on its far western border around Edgware Road.

Marylebone station, opened in 1899, is the youngest of London's mainline terminal stations, and also one of the smallest, having opened with half the number of platforms originally planned.

Originally the London terminus of the ill-fated Great Central Main Line, it now serves as the terminus of the Chiltern Main Line route.

The underground station is served by the Bakerloo Line, opening on 27 March 1907 by the Baker Street and Waterloo Railway under the name Great Central (following a change from the originally-intended name Lisson Grove). It was renamed Marylebone in 1917.
Print-friendly version of this page