Lyndhurst Road is a street in Hampstead.
Lyndhurst Road had its origins in the 1850s when landowner Henry Davidson started to issue 99-year building leases for his Rosslyn House
Probably fearing that the market would be saturated by building on neighbouring land, Davidson hoped to demolish Rosslyn House
and cover the whole estate with detached and semidetached houses, like those in Belsize Park
and with access from Haverstock Hill. Progress was slower than expected, partly because of competition in Hampstead town and Belsize Park
and partly because of reluctance to build above Hampstead Junction Railway’s tunnel.
Thurlow, Lyndhurst, and Eldon Roads and Windsor Terrace had been laid out by 1862 and about 40 houses built by 1864. Demand for the houses, of similar value to those in Belsize Park
, (fn. 110) rose during the 1860s and more had been built by 1870.
In 1881 the Rosslyn Grove estate, whose freehold had reverted to the Church Commissioners, was leased to Congregationalists who in 1883 built a church on the corner of Lyndhurst Road and Haverstock Hill. It was built to the plans of architect Alfred Waterhouse, designer of the Natural History Museum. Renamed Lyndhurst Hall, Sir George Martin’s AIR Studios opened there in 1992.
In 1896 the executors of C. H. L. Woodd sold Rosslyn House
to speculators, who by 1909 had completed houses in Lyndhurst and Wedderburn Road
s on the site.
6 Lyndhurst Road was for a time the London home of Richard Burton and his first wife, fellow Welsh thespian Sybil Williams.