Maple Grove, NW9

Road in/near Kingsbury

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.57528 -0.26535, 51.575 -0.265) 

Maple Grove, NW9

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Road · Kingsbury · NW9 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Maple Grove is a street in Kingsbury.




NEARBY STREETS
Alington Crescent, NW9 Alington Crescent is a street in Kingsbury.
Bush Grove, NW9 Bush Grove is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Church Drive, NW9 Church Drive is a street in Kingsbury.
Church Lane, NW9 Church Lane is a street in Kingsbury.
Dimsdale Drive, NW9 Dimsdale Drive is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Doreen Avenue, NW9 Doreen Avenue is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Dors Close, NW9 Dors Close is a street in Kingsbury.
Elthorne Road, NW9 Elthorne Road is a street in Kingsbury.
Elthorne Way, NW9 Elthorne Way is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Hawthorne Grove, NW9 Hawthorne Grove is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Holden Avenue, NW9 Holden Avenue is a street in Kingsbury.
Holly Grove, NW9 Holly Grove is a street in Kingsbury.
Kingsmead Avenue, NW9 Kingsmead Avenue is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Laburnum Grove, NW9 Laburnum Grove is a street in Kingsbury.
Langdon Drive, NW9 Langdon Drive is a street in Kingsbury.
Lavender Avenue, NW9 Lavender Avenue is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Mallard Way, NW9 Mallard Way is a street in Kingsbury.
Meadowbank Road, NW9 Meadowbank Road is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Merley Court, NW9 Merley Court is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Reeves Avenue, NW9 Reeves Avenue is a street in Kingsbury.
Sunnymead Road, NW9 Sunnymead Road is a street in Kingsbury.
Sycamore Grove, NW9 Sycamore Grove is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Tunworth Close, NW9 Tunworth Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Wood Close, NW9 Wood Close is a street in Kingsbury.


Queen’s Park

Queen’s Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen’s Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen’s Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen’s Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen’s Park ’proper’ formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen’s Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen’s Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett’s wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen’s Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queen’s Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen’s Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen’s Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen’s Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Wembley Stadium, 1947
TUM image id: 1556882897
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Welsh Harp
Credit: Unknown
TUM image id: 1534456927
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Plough - reputedly 800 years old
TUM image id: 1517936032
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Edgware Road in Colindale
TUM image id: 1517936686
Licence: CC BY 2.0

Print-friendly version of this page