Hendon Central (1923)
Image dated 1910
Print-friendly version of this page
Photographed in 1923, this stretch of Butchers Lane would soon become Hendon Central Circus
and have Watford Way
built along the route of the old lane.
Taken at the junction of Queens Road
, this photograph is taken on more or less the same spot as a 1928 photo (though viewing east rather than north).
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
User unknown/public domain
Ashley Lane, NW4 Ashley Lane is divided into an official road and a track which is part of a nature reserve. Central Circus, NW4 Central Circus is the postal designation for addresses around Hendon Central circus. Dallas Road, NW4 Dallas Road is a road running parallel to the Midland railway and M1. Golders Green Road, NW11 Golders Green Road - known by many other names too during its history - lies along an ancient road from London to Hendon. Greenacres, N3 Greenacres is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Greyhound Hill, NW4 Greyhound Hill was part of a medieval route which ran from Church End, Hendon to Mill Hill at the Three Hammers pub on the Ridgeway. M1, NW4 The M1, as it enters the NW4 postcode, is the southernmost section of this motorway. Pollard Road, NW9 Pollard Road was urbanised in the final decades of the nineteenth century. Ramsay Road, NW9 Ramsay Road was the northernmost of a series of disappeared streets in West Hendon. Ramsey Close, NW9 Ramsey Close consists of two storey semi-detached houses built in the 1980s. Station Road, NW4 Station Road led from the centre of Hendon village to its first station and to the Edgware Road. Station Road, NW9 Station Road was formerly called Burroughs Lane and led from the Burroughs to Edgware Road south of Silk Bridge. The Burroughs, NW4 The Burroughs, now simply a road, referred to a hamlet until the 1890s. Thornbury, NW4 Thornbury is a residential block in Church End, Hendon. Tilling Road, NW2 Tilling Road was named after Thomas Tilling, founder of the London omnibus firm. Windsor Close, N3 Windsor Close is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area.
Hendon Central tube station is on the Edgware branch of the Northern Line.
Hendon Central, like all stations north from Golders Green, is a surface station (although the tracks enter twin tunnels a short distance further north on the way to Colindale). When it was built it stood in lonely glory amid fields
, as one writer puts it, south of the old village of Hendon, which has since been swallowed up by London's suburbs.
The station is a Grade II listed building, designed in a neo-Georgian style by Stanley Heaps, who also designed Brent Cross tube station in a similar style, with a prominent portico featuring a Doric colonnade.
The fact that the area was largely undeveloped allowed a hitherto unusual degree of coordination between the station and the surrounding buildings that were constructed over the next few years. The station was intended to be the centre and a key architectural feature of a new suburban town; it faces a circus 73 metres in diameter that is intersected by four approach roads which provide access to all parts of Hendon and the surrounding areas beyond. For many years this was a roundabout known as 'Central Circus
'; however it is now a crossroads controlled by traffic signals.
Writing in 1932, William Passingham commended the integrated approach taken at Hendon Central as an outstanding example of the co-ordination of road-planning with passenger station requirements.
He noted, only nine years after the station opened, that it had already become the centre of an ever-widening cluster of new houses