Print-friendly version of this page
By 1906, Sir Audley Neeld was building on the land - the future Hendon Central - that had been Renter’s Farm.
The eventual estate used many names associated with the family: Dallas, Audley, Elliot, Graham, Rundell, Vivian, Algernon and, of course, Neeld. Other names are associated with Neeld estates in Grittleton, including Alderton, Foscote, Sevington, and Allington.
Hendon Central Station and the Watford Way
were constructed in 1923.
Originally, the road was planned to cut through the Neeld Estate, but in January 1924 a local ratepayers’ group in Hendon Central, backed by Hendon Urban District Council, petitioned the County Council and central government, and the route was changed so that it would pass up Queen’s Road (better known now as Hendon Way
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Brent Street The largest hamlet of Hendon parish was Brent Street. It retained its identity until the late 19th, when building linked it with Church End and the Burroughs. Butchers Lane (1923) Photographed in 1923, this stretch of Butchers Lane would soon become Hendon Central Circus and have Watford Way built along the route of the old lane. Foster House Foster House and Brent Lodge were two 18th-century brick houses at the corner of Butcher's Lane and Brent Street. Butcher's Lane later became Queen’s Road Hendon Central Hendon Central tube station is on the Edgware branch of the Northern Line. Hendon Central (1928) Photographed in 1928, this stretch of Watford Way at Hendon Central Circus had recently been built along ancient Butchers Lane and shops were rapidly lining its sides. The United Dairies occupied the domed building, a prestigeous site. Hendon Park Hendon Park, totalling 12 hectares, between Queens Road (formerly Butchers Lane) and Shire Hall Lane was created by Hendon Urban District Council in 1903. Hendon War Memorial Hendon War Memorial is located on the central reservation at the junction between Watford Way and The Burroughs. Central Circus, NW4 Central Circus is the postal designation for addresses around Hendon Central circus. Station Road, NW4 Station Road led from the centre of Hendon village to its first station and to the Edgware Road.
Hendon Central tube station is on the Edgware branch of the Northern Line.
Hendon Central, like all stations north from Golders Green, is a surface station (although the tracks enter twin tunnels a short distance further north on the way to Colindale). When it was built it stood in lonely glory amid fields
, as one writer puts it, south of the old village of Hendon, which has since been swallowed up by London’s suburbs.
The station is a Grade II listed building, designed in a neo-Georgian style by Stanley Heaps, who also designed Brent Cross tube station in a similar style, with a prominent portico featuring a Doric colonnade.
The fact that the area was largely undeveloped allowed a hitherto unusual degree of coordination between the station and the surrounding buildings that were constructed over the next few years. The station was intended to be the centre and a key architectural feature of a new suburban town; it faces a circus 73 metres in diameter that is intersected by four approach roads which provide access to all parts of Hendon and the surrounding areas beyond. For many years this was a roundabout known as ’Central Circus
’; however it is now a crossroads controlled by traffic signals.
Writing in 1932, William Passingham commended the integrated approach taken at Hendon Central as an outstanding example of the co-ordination of road-planning with passenger station requirements.
He noted, only nine years after the station opened, that it had already become the centre of an ever-widening cluster of new houses