Print-friendly version of this page
Melon Place is a street in Kensington.
Abingdon Road, W8 Abingdon Road stretches between Stratford Road and Kensington High Street. Airlie Gardens, W8 Airlie Gardens is named after the 5th Earl of Airlie (1826-1881), who lived on nearby Campden Hill at Holly Lodge. Alexander Street, W2 Alexander Street was built in 1853 by Alexander Hall of Watergate House, Sussex. Ansdell Terrace, W8 Ansdell Terrace is a cul-de-sac off of Ansdell Street and was previously known as St Albans Road North.
Argyll Road, W8 Argyll Road was built as part of the development of the Phillimore Estate. Ball Street, W8 Ball Street was created by the Kensington Improvement Scheme of 1868-71, carried out by the Metropolitan Board of Works.
Berkeley Gardens, W8 Berkeley Gardens is a short street which runs between Brunswick Gardens and Kensington Church Street containing terraced houses on both sides with small front gardens. Brunswick Gardens, W8 Brunswick Gardens runs north from Vicarage Gate - a wide tree-lined road with white stuccoed terraces on either side. Callcott Street, W8 Callcott Street is a small street between Uxbridge Street and Hillgate Place. Campden Grove, W8 Campden Grove runs between Kensington Church Street and Hornton Street.
Campden Hill Close, W8 Campden Hill Close is a small cul-de-sac entered by a narrow driveway off Hornton Street. Campden Street, W8 Campden Street stretches between Campden Hill Road and Kensington Church Street. Chepstow Place, W2 Chepstow Place runs from the junction of Westbourne Grove and Pembridge Villas in the north to Pembridge Square in the south. Childs Place, SW5 Childs Place is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Derry Street, W8 Derry Street formerly known as King Street and laid out in the mid-1730s. Duchess of Bedford’s Walk, W8 Lady Georgiana Russell, wife of John Russell, 6th Duke of Bedford lived at Argyll Lodge, a former house on Campden Hill, near the location of the road. Hesper Mews, SW5 Hesper Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Hogarth Road, SW5 Hogarth Road is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Horbury Crescent, W11 Horbury Crescent is a short and handsome half-moon shaped street between Ladbroke Road and Kensington Park Road, W11. Kensington Court Gardens Kensington Court Gardens is a late Victorian mansion block, completed in 1889, near to Kensington Palace and Gardens. Kensington High Street, W8 Kensington High Street is one of western London’s most popular shopping streets, with upmarket shops serving a wealthy area. Kensington Palace Gardens, W8 Kensington Palace Gardens is a street in west central London with some of the most expensive properties in the world. Kenway Road, SW5 Kenway Road is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Ledbury Road, W11 Ledbury Road is split between W2 and W11, the postal line intersecting the street. Leinster Square, W2 Leinster Square, along with Prince’s Square, was begun in 1856 and finished in 1864 Nevern Place, SW5 Nevern Place is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Nevern Road, SW5 Nevern Road is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Orme Square, W2 Orme Square is named after Edward Orme, formerly a printseller in Bond Street. Ossington Street, W2 Ossington Street leads from Moscow Road at its north end to the Bayswater Road at its south end. Osten Mews, SW7 Osten Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Palace Court, W2 Palace Court was built in the 1880s to connect the Bayswater Road to Moscow Road. Phillimore Place, W8 Phillimore Place was part of the old Phillimore Estate and, at first, named Durham Villas. Porchester Square, W2 Begun in 1850 and completed between 1855 and 1858, Porchester Square was one of the last areas of Bayswater to be built. Spear Mews, SW5 Spear Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Young Street, W8 Young Street, named after the developer of Kensington Square, was in use as a road by 1685.
Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.
Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.
There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.
Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.
Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.