Brickfield Cottages, Borehamwood, Herts.
Road in/near Borehamwood, existing between 1858 and now
Print-friendly version of this page
Brickfield Cottages lie between Theobald Street
and the railway.
Brickfield Cottages were built in 1858 by Charles Morgan, who owned the brickfield next door.
Further cottages were built in 1868 for railway workers but of interest to their further story is a parallel story of local Henry Robinson. who came into possession of some of them.
Robinson built the ’Red Road
’ bridge over the railway - this linked Parkfield to Theobald Street
and additional gave access for Tilehouse Farm to reach some of its fields cut off by the new line.
Robinson owned much of the land in Borehamwood and in 1871 built a parade of shops in Theobald Street
almost opposite the entrance to Brickfield Cottages. The shops became known locally as ’Robinson’s Folly’ - they expected the venture to fail. But the venture didn’t and the shops remain in existence today.
Robinson gave two of the Brickfield Cottages to his daughter as part of her dowry.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Brickfield Cottages, Boreham Wood
User unknown/public domain
Allum Hall Allum Hall was a community centre and lately a venue. Barham House Barham (Boreham) House was once one of the most prominent properties in Elstree. Elstree and Borehamwood Elstree (and Borehamwood) station, constructed in 1868, has undergone a series of name changes. Hillside Hillside was the childhood home of Sir Richard Burton. Neptune House Neptune House, built as part of the ATV studios, is now part of the BBC studios. Albert Square, WD6 Albert Square is the fictional location of the BBC soap opera EastEnders. Haddon Close, WD6 Haddon Close was one of a series of roads off Stratfield Road named after country estates. Markham Close, WD6 Markham Close was created out of the sale and subsequent demolition of Theobald Street houses. Siskin Close, WD6 Siskin Close was built on the site of the Boreham Wood Engine Works. Station Road, WD6 Station Road was laid out shortly after the railway was built to connect new industry built alongside the railway with the centre of the village. Whitehall Close, WD6 Whitehall Close was named for the Whitehall Studios which formerly stood on the site.
Borehamwood is a town of approximately 30 000 residents in southern Hertfordshire, just outside London, and part of the London commuter belt.
Borehamwood, more commonly called Boreham Wood before the LCC estate was built, is part of the borough of Hertsmere. The town is often associated with the nearby village Elstree (being part of the ancient parish of Elstree), the two still share a local council, now called the Elstree and Borehamwood Town Council.
The A1 passes just to the east of the town, and the M25 passes about two miles north of it.
Since the 1920s, the town has been the location of several film studios. The former British National Studios on Clarendon Road
are now the BBC’s Elstree Television Studios. One of BBC’s popular soaps, EastEnders, is produced at the BBC studios, as well as popular medical drama Holby City. ’Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?’, ’Big Brother’ and major feature films are filmed at the Elstree Studios in Shenley Road.