Print-friendly version of this page
New West End was created in the 1840s on the Finchley Road
Four houses were built on a field of Platt's estate which jutted westward south of Teil's estate. The cluster were optimistically named New West End but eventually the name fell out of favour.Licence:
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
New West End
Beckford’s Estate Beckfords, belonging to the family of the same name, consisted of 15 acres north of Mill Lane and west of Fortune Green Lane. Cedars A local West Hampstead builder, Thomas Potter, constructed Cedars in 1878. Cholmley Lodge Cholmley Lodge, a two storeyed stuccoed house, was built in 1813. Cock and Hoop The Cock and Hoop Inn was standing on the corner of West End Lane and Fortune Green Road by 1723. Flitcroft Flitcroft was a 50 acre estate at Fortune Green and West End, named after its owner in the 18th century. Fortune Green Fortune Green was originally part of the district of Hampstead but became physically separated from it by the building of the new turnpike road (now Finchley Road) in the 1830s. Fortune Green Fortune Green lies to the north of the ancient village of West End. Hackney College The Village Itinerancy Society, a Congregationalist college, was transformed into Hackney Theological Seminary. Hillfield By 1644 Hillfield was already mentioned in parish records. New West End New West End was created in the 1840s on the Finchley Road. Thorplands Thorplands was an estate south of Mill Lane. Woodbine Cottage Woodbine Cottage was situated at the south-eastern corner of the Flitcroft estate. Ardwick Road, NW2 Ardwick Road was named Major Ardwick Burgess who developed the road. Heath Drive, NW3 Heath Drive, one of the roads connecting Hampstead with the Finchley Road was originally West Hampstead Avenue. Mill Lane, NW6 Mill Lane forms the boundary between Fortune Green and West Hampstead. Ulysses Road, NW6 Ulysses Road is one of a series of streets named after the Trojan War.
Hampstead though now considered an integral part of London, has retained much of its village charm.
Hampstead is on a steep hill and the tube station platforms are the deepest on the London Underground network, at 58.5 metres below ground level. It has the deepest lift shaft on the Underground.
Although early records of Hampstead itself can be found in a grant by King Ethelred the Unready to the monastery of St. Peter's at Westminster (AD 986) and it is referred to in the Domesday Book (1086), the history of Hampstead is generally traced back to the 17th century.
Trustees of the Well started advertising the medicinal qualities of the chalybeate waters (water impregnated with iron) in 1700. Although Hampstead Wells was initially successful, its popularity declined in the 1800s due to competition with other London spas. The spa was demolished in 1882, although a water fountain was left behind.
Hampstead started to expand following the opening of the North London Railway in the 1860s (now on the London Overground), and expanded further after the tube station opened in 1907.