Print-friendly version of this page
The Hodford and Cowhouse estate consisted of a compact block of lands stretching from the Hampstead border to a point north of Golders Green
station and from Cricklewood to Golders Hill.
Westminster leased it out at all periods, although until the late 17th century it remained in direct control of the woodlands called Hodford Wood and Beecham Grove.Licence:
The estate totalled 434 acres in 1855 and was split into three farms known in 1889 as Hodford (or Golders) Green, Cowhouse (or Avenue), and Westcroft farms. There is no record of a manor house, although one was formerly thought to have stood on or near the site of the 18th-century Golders Hill House. A chapel on the abbot of Westminster’s manor of Hodford existed in 1321, when services were licensed by the Bishop of London, but was not subsequently recorded.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Hodford Farm, Golders Green, one time residence of the Earl of Granvillle 1913
Golders Green crossroads Golders Green crossroads was formed when the new Finchley Road crossed North End Road in the 1830s. Golders Green, looking south (1905) This photo from the London Transport Collection shows Golders Green crossroads looking south in 1905. While this predates the arrival of the Hampstead Tube (Northern Line) by a couple of years’ land speculation is already taking place. Heruka Buddhist Centre Heruka Kadampa Meditation Centre (KMC) is the main New Kadampa Tradition Buddhist Centre for north & central London. Hodford Farm The Hodford and Cowhouse estate consisted of a compact block of lands stretching from the Hampstead border to a point north of Golders Green station and from Cricklewood to Golders Hill.
Golders Green was a rural hamlet at the crossroads of Finchley Road and North End Road until the arrival of the tube in 1907.Golders Green
station was opened by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR, now part of the Northern Line) on 22 June 1907. It was one of the railway's two northern terminals (the other being at Archway) and was also the site of the railway's depot.
Before World War I plans were made to extend the CCE&HR north from Golders Green
to Hendon and Edgware to open up new areas of the Middlesex countryside to development and to create a source of new passengers. The war postponed the construction of the extension and work did not begin until 12 June 1922. The first section of the extension, as far as Hendon Central opened on 19 November 1923.