Print-friendly version of this page
St Mary Abbots is a church located on Kensington High Street
and the corner of Kensington Church Street
in London W8.
The present church structure was built in 1872 and designed by the celebrated architect Sir George Gilbert Scott, combining neo-Gothic and early-English styles. This edifice remains noted for having the tallest spire in London and is the latest in a series on the site since the beginning of the 12th century.
The church is listed Grade II* on the National Heritage List for England.
Read the St Mary Abbots entry on the Wikipedia...
Abingdon Road, W8 Abingdon Road stretches between Stratford Road and Kensington High Street. Ansdell Terrace, W8 Ansdell Terrace is a cul-de-sac off of Ansdell Street and was previously known as St Albans Road North.
Argyll Road, W8 Argyll Road was built as part of the development of the Phillimore Estate. Astwood Mews, SW7 Astwood Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Ball Street, W8 Ball Street was created by the Kensington Improvement Scheme of 1868-71, carried out by the Metropolitan Board of Works.
Berkeley Gardens, W8 Berkeley Gardens is a short street which runs between Brunswick Gardens and Kensington Church Street containing terraced houses on both sides with small front gardens. Brunswick Gardens, W8 Brunswick Gardens runs north from Vicarage Gate - a wide tree-lined road with white stuccoed terraces on either side. Callcott Street, W8 Callcott Street is a small street between Uxbridge Street and Hillgate Place. Campden Grove, W8 Campden Grove runs between Kensington Church Street and Hornton Street.
Campden Hill Close, W8 Campden Hill Close is a small cul-de-sac entered by a narrow driveway off Hornton Street. Campden Street, W8 Campden Street stretches between Campden Hill Road and Kensington Church Street. Chepstow Place, W2 Chepstow Place runs from the junction of Westbourne Grove and Pembridge Villas in the north to Pembridge Square in the south. Childs Place, SW5 Childs Place is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Derry Street, W8 Derry Street formerly known as King Street and laid out in the mid-1730s. Duchess of Bedford’s Walk, W8 Lady Georgiana Russell, wife of John Russell, 6th Duke of Bedford lived at Argyll Lodge, a former house on Campden Hill, near the location of the road. Farnell Mews, SW5 Farnell Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Grenville Place, SW7 Grenville Place connects Cornwall Gardens and Launceston Place in the north with Cromwell Road in the south. Hesper Mews, SW5 Hesper Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Hogarth Road, SW5 Hogarth Road is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Kensington Court Gardens Kensington Court Gardens is a late Victorian mansion block, completed in 1889, near to Kensington Palace and Gardens. Kensington High Street, W8 Kensington High Street is one of western London’s most popular shopping streets, with upmarket shops serving a wealthy area. Kensington Palace Gardens, W8 Kensington Palace Gardens is a street in west central London with some of the most expensive properties in the world. Kenway Road, SW5 Kenway Road is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Kramer Mews, SW5 Kramer Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Kynance Mews, SW7 Kynance Mews consists of 33 residential properties on a mews road which starts at Gloucester Road and ends in a cul-de-sac. Leinster Square, W2 Leinster Square, along with Prince’s Square, was begun in 1856 and finished in 1864 Nevern Place, SW5 Nevern Place is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Nevern Road, SW5 Nevern Road is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Orme Square, W2 Orme Square is named after Edward Orme, formerly a printseller in Bond Street. Ossington Street, W2 Ossington Street leads from Moscow Road at its north end to the Bayswater Road at its south end. Osten Mews, SW7 Osten Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Palace Court, W2 Palace Court was built in the 1880s to connect the Bayswater Road to Moscow Road. Phillimore Place, W8 Phillimore Place was part of the old Phillimore Estate and, at first, named Durham Villas. Queensborough Terrace, W2 Queensborough Terrace was built by the grandson of John Aldridge in the 1860s on part of the Aldridge lands. Spear Mews, SW5 Spear Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. The Little Boltons, SW10 The Little Boltons - originally called "The Grove" - connects Old Brompton Road with Tregunter Road. The Mansions, SW5 The Mansions is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Warwick Road, SW5 Warwick Road is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Young Street, W8 Young Street, named after the developer of Kensington Square, was in use as a road by 1685.
Kensington is a district of West London, England within the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, located west of Charing Cross.
The focus of the area is Kensington High Street
, a busy commercial centre with many shops, typically upmarket. The street was declared London's second best shopping street in February 2005 thanks to its range and number of shops.
The edges of Kensington are not well-defined; in particular, the southern part of Kensington blurs into Chelsea, which has a similar architectural style. To the west, a transition is made across the West London railway line and Earl's Court Road further south into other districts, whilst to the north, the only obvious dividing line is Holland Park Avenue, to the north of which is the similar district of Notting Hill.
Kensington is, in general, an extremely affluent area, a trait that it now shares with its neighbour to the south, Chelsea. The area has some of London's most expensive streets and garden squares.
Kensington is also very densely populated; it forms part of the most densely populated local government district (the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea) in the United Kingdom. This high density is not formed from high-rise buildings; instead, it has come about through the subdivision of large mid-rise Victorian and Georgian terraced houses (generally of some four to six floors) into flats.