The location of today’s Kensington Court
Place was formerly part of the Vallotton estate, dating back to the late 18th century. Kensington Court
Place was originally known as Charles Street and renamed in 1908. The eastern side of Charles Street was the former site of open grounds, known as The Paddock. It was the home of the Kensington Lawn Tennis Club prior to being bought by local surveyor, Albert James Barker for building development in 1886.
The mansion block, Kensington Court
Gardens is believed to be designed by Henry W. Peck and built by Frederick Moir of Moir, Wallis and Company in 1887-9 in association with Albert Barker. Albert Barker was responsible for a large amount of the building development around Thackeray Street
, Ansdell Street
and Kensington Court
Place and was responsible for much of the street layout that we see today.
The Times first advertised flats for Kensington Court
Gardens in January 1889 at between £195 and £250 per annum. Kensington Court
Gardens first appears in the London Directory in 1889, listed with Moir Wallis & Co. Builders, with building works not completed. The first residents appear in the 1890 Directory, with flat No.1 again, with Moir Wallis & Co.
During the 1890s, a number of residents were retired military men.
It was the erstwhile residence of T. S. Eliot.
Other notable residents include the Kopman family, who amassed their fortune from property development and investment banking.
Read the Kensington Court
Gardens entry on the Wikipedia...