Print-friendly version of this page
Blythe House is a listed building located at 23 Blythe Road
Blythe House was built between 1899 and 1903 as the main office of the Post Office Savings Bank, which had outgrown its previous headquarter in Queen Victoria Street. By 1902 the Bank had 12,000 branches and more than 9 million accounts.
Blythe House included a post office intended to deal with the official correspondence involved in the work of the Savings Bank. The post office handled about 100,000 letters every working day.
In 1963 the government announced that the Bank’s main centre of operations would be moved to Glasgow. A small headquarters staff remained in London, moving to Charles House on Kensington High Street
. The Bank finally left Blythe House in the early 1970s.
The main (North) block of Blythe House, seen from Hazlitt Road.
Docben (Wiki Commons)
Abbotsbury Road, W14 Abbotsbury Road It runs between Melbury Road and the road known as Holland Park. Addison Avenue, W11 Addison Avenue runs north from Holland Park Avenue and was originally called Addison Road North. Addison Bridge Place, W14 Addison Bridge Place parallels the railway at the east end of Hammersmith Road and the west end of Kensington High Street. Addison Place, W11 In the nineteenth century, Addison Place was known by two names - Phoenix Place and Crescent Mews East. Addison Road, W14 Addison Road stretches from Holland Park Avenue to Kensington High Street. Bangor Street, W11 Bangor Street, W11 was situated on the site of the modern Henry Dickens Court. Boxmoor Street, W11 Boxmoor Street was also known as Henry Place and Beaumont Street during its brief life. Brook Green, W14 Brook Green runs either side of the green of the same name - the W14 section runs north of the green. Frog Island, W12 Frog Island was the name of a lane leading north from the Uxbridge Road. Holland Villas Road, W14 Holland Villas Road is a wide tree-lined avenue which runs between Upper Addison Gardens and the junction of Addison Crescent and Holland Road. Kenley Street, W11 Kenley Street, W11 was originally William Street before it disappeared. Lakeside Road, W14 Lakeside Road was built on the site of artificial lakes formed by local brickworks. Lillie Road, SW6 Sir John Scott Lillie first laid out the easternmost section of the road across his North End Hermitage estate in 1826 Mendora Road, SW6 Mendora Road is one of the streets of London in the SW6 postal area. Portland Road, W11 Portland Road is a street in Notting Hill, rich at one end and poor at the other. Pottery Lane, W11 Pottery Lane takes its name from the brickfields which were situated at the northern end of the street. Queensdale Road, W11 Queensdale Road is a long road stretching from west to east, containing terraces of Victorian houses. Queensdale Walk, W11 Queensdale Walk is a small cul-de-sac with 2-storey cottages running south off Queensdale Road. Shortlands, W6 Shortlands commemorates a local field name, first mentioned in the reign of Henry V. St Anns Villas, W11 St Ann’s Villas, leading into Royal Crescent, is a pleasant tree-lined if busy road. St James’s Gardens, W11 St James’s Gardens is an attractive garden square with St James Church in the middle of the communal garden. West Cross Route, W11 The West Cross Route is a 1.21 km-long dual carriageway running north-south between the northern elevated roundabout junction with the western end of Westway (A40) and the southern Holland Park Roundabout. Woodsford Square, W14 Woodsford Square is a 1970s development consisting of a series of interconnecting squares hidden away on the eastern side of Addison Road.
Holland Park is a district, an underground station (and indeed a park) in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
Holland Park has a reputation as an affluent and fashionable area, known for attractive large Victorian townhouses, and high-class shopping and restaurants.
The district was rural until the 19th century. Most of it was formerly the grounds of a Jacobean mansion called Holland House. In the later decades of that century the owners of the house sold off the more outlying parts of its grounds for residential development, and the district which evolved took its name from the house. It also included some small areas around the fringes which had never been part of the grounds of Holland House, notably the Phillimore Estate and the Campden Hill Square area. In the late 19th century a number of notable artists (including Frederic Leighton, P.R.A. and Val Prinsep) and art collectors lived in the area. The group were collectively known as ’The Holland Park Circle’. Holland Park was in most part very comfortably upper middle class when originally developed and in recent decades has gone further upmarket.
Of the 19th-century residential developments of the area, one of the most architecturally interesting is The Royal Crescent
designed in 1839. Clearly inspired by its older namesake in Bath, it differs from the Bath crescent in that it is not a true crescent at all but two quadrant terraces each terminated by a circular bow in the Regency style which rises as a tower, a feature which would not have been found in the earlier classically inspired architecture of the 18th century which the design of the crescent seeks to emulate. The design of the Royal Crescent
by the planner Robert Cantwell in two halves was dictated by the location of the newly fashionable underground sewers rather than any consideration for architectural aesthetics.
Holland Park is now one of the most expensive residential districts in London.
Holland Park station, on the Central London Railway, opened on 30 July 1900. The station building was refurbished in the 1990s.