Old Compton Street, W1D

Road in/near Soho, existing between 1686 and now.

 HOME  ·  ABOUT  ·  ARTICLE  ·  MARKERS OFF  ·  BLOG 
(51.51306 -0.13156, 51.513 -0.131) 
MAP YEAR:175018001810182018301860190019502024 
TIP: If you change to historical maps using MAP YEAR, The Underground Map will place markers of locations existing that decade
 
Road · * · W1D ·
September
11
2016
Old Compton Street is a road that runs east–west through Soho.

The street was named after Henry Compton who raised funds for a local parish church, eventually dedicated as St Anne’s Church in 1686. The area in general and this street in particular became the home of Huguenots, French Protestant refugees who were given asylum in England by Charles II in 1681.

George Wombwell kept a boot and shoe shop on the street between 1804 and 1810. Of short statue and an alcoholic, he nonetheless built up three hugely successful menageries from a starting point of two snakes bought at a bargain price. The menageries travelled around England and made him a wealthy man before his death in 1850.

Today, the street is the main focal point for London’s lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.

An interesting local feature can be found in the middle of Charing Cross Road at its junction with Old Compton Street. Beneath the grill in the traffic island in the middle of the road, can be seen the old road signs for the now-vanished Little Compton Street, which once joined Old Compton Street with New Compton Street.


Main source: Old Compton Street - Wikipedia
Further citations and sources


CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY


Roy Batham   
Added: 7 Jan 2022 07:17 GMT   

Smithy in Longacre
John Burris 1802-1848 Listed 1841 census as Burroughs was a blacksmith, address just given as Longacre.

Source: Batham/Wiseman - Family Tree

Reply
Comment
Jessie Doring   
Added: 22 Feb 2021 04:33 GMT   

Tisbury Court Jazz Bar
Jazz Bar opened in Tisbury Court by 2 Australians. Situated in underground basement. Can not remember how long it opened for.

Reply
Comment
Jude Allen   
Added: 29 Jul 2021 07:53 GMT   

Bra top
I jave a jewelled item of clothong worn by a revie girl.
It is red with diamante straps. Inside it jas a label Bermans Revue 16 Orange Street but I cannot find any info online about the revue only that 16 Orange Street used to be a theatre. Does any one know about the revue. I would be intesrested to imagine the wearer of the article and her London life.

Reply

LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT

Lived here
   
Added: 20 Jul 2024 01:13 GMT   

Whitechapel (1980 - 1981)
Diana Lee-Gobbitt - Artist rented a room at No 1 Berner Street, Whitechapel, opposite Church Passage (Ripper territory) for one year, rent approx 3 pounds pw. Worked as Receptionist for n Indian import/export company in the Watney Markets. Owner of No 1 Berner Street was Sammy Ferrugia, Maltese Taxi company owner. The artist was shown the gambling den in Dutfield’s Yard behind the terrace houses. It was common local knowledge prostitution was high end income for those in the East End during the 1950s.

Reply

   
Added: 7 Jul 2024 16:26 GMT   

Haycroft Gardens, NW10
My Grandfather bought No 45 Buchanan Gdns in I believe 1902 and died ther in the early 1950s

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 7 Jul 2024 16:20 GMT   

Haycroft Gardens, NW10
I lived in No 7 from 1933 to 1938

Reply

Sylvia guiver   
Added: 4 Jul 2024 14:52 GMT   

Grandparents 1937 lived 37 Blandford Square
Y mother and all her sisters and brother lived there, before this date , my parent wedding photographers were take in the square, I use to visit with my mother I remember the barge ballon in the square in the war.

Reply
Born here
Roy Mathieson   
Added: 27 Jun 2024 16:25 GMT   

St Saviours
My great grandmother was born in Bowling Green Lane in 1848. The family moved from there to Earl Terrace, Bermondsey in 1849. I have never been able to locate Earl Terrace on maps.

Reply

   
Added: 26 Jun 2024 13:10 GMT   

Buckhurst Street, E1
Mt grandfather, Thomas Walton Ward had a musical instrument workshop in Buckhurst Street from 1934 until the street was bombed during the war. Grandfather was a partner in the musical instrument firm of R.J. Ward and Sons of Liverpool. He died in 1945 and is buried in a common grave at Abney Park Cemetery.

Reply
Lived here
Mike Dowling   
Added: 15 Jun 2024 15:51 GMT   

Family ties (1936 - 1963)
The Dowling family lived at number 13 Undercliffe Road for
Nearly 26 years. Next door was the Harris family

Reply
Comment
Evie Helen   
Added: 13 Jun 2024 00:03 GMT   

Vickers Road
The road ’Vickers Road’ is numbered rather differently to other roads in the area as it was originally built as housing for the "Vickers" arms factory in the late 1800’s and early 1900s. Most of the houses still retain the original 19th century tiling and drainage outside of the front doors.

Reply

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Adam and Eve Inn The Adam and Eve was an inn on Oxford Street.
Admiral Duncan The Admiral Duncan is well-known as one of Soho’s oldest gay pubs.
Café Royal The Café Royal - now a five-star hotel at 68 Regent Street - was, before its conversion to a hotel, a notable restaurant.
De Hems De Hems has become a base for London’s Dutch community, serving bitterballen and frikandellen.
Leicester Square Leicester Square, while indeed a square, is also the name for a tube station.
L’Escargot L’Escargot is one of London’s oldest restaurants.
Piccadilly Circus Piccadilly Circus was built in 1819 to connect Regent Street with the major shopping street of Piccadilly.
Queen’s Theatre The Queen’s Theatre is located in Shaftesbury Avenue on the corner of Wardour Street.
Soho Soho is a world-famous area of the City of Westminster and part of the West End of London.
St Giles St Giles is a district of central London, at the southern tip of the London Borough of Camden.
Trident Studios Trident Studios was located at 17 St Anne’s Court between 1968 and 1981.
Wyld’s Great Globe Wyld’s Great Globe was an attraction situated in Leicester Square between 1851 and 1862.

NEARBY STREETS
Aberdeen Mews, W1F Aberdeen Mews was situated off Ramillies Place (Soho)
Academy House, W1S Academy House is located on Sackville Street
Adelaide Street, WC2R Adelaide Street was named for Queen Adelaide, Consort to King William IV (Charing Cross)
Agar Street, WC2N Agar Street is named after George Agar, who built the street in the 1830s with John Ponsonby, Earl of Bessborough (Charing Cross)
Air Street, SW1Y Air Street was the most westerly street in London when newly built in 1658 (Piccadilly Circus)
Air Street, W1B Air Street’s name is believed to be a corruption of ‘Ayres’, after Thomas Ayre, a local brewer and resident in the 17th century (Soho)
Albany Courtyard, SW1Y The courtyard is named after Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany, who in 1791 purchased Melbourne House which stood on this site (St James’s)
Albany, W1B The Albany is an apartment complex in Piccadilly, established in 1802 (Mayfair)
Ampersand Building, W1F Ampersand Building is a building on the corner of Oxford Street and Wardour Street (Soho)
Andrew Borde Street, W1D Andrew Borde Street was situated opposite the end of Sutton Row and under the Centre Point development (St Giles)
Apple Tree Yard, SW1Y Apple Tree Yard is thought named after the apple trees formerly to be found here (St James’s)
Archer Street, W1D Archer Street was Arch Street in 1675, Orchard Street in 1720 and Archer Street by 1746 (Soho)
Argyll Street, W1F Argyll Street was named after John Campbell, 2nd Duke of Argyll, owner of the land in the 18th century (Soho)
Arlette House, W1F Arlette House is a block on Meard Street (Soho)
Artists House, W1D Artists House is a block on Manette Street (Soho)
Babmaes Street, SW1Y Babmaes Street was originally called Wells Street (St James’s)
Banbury Court, WC2E Banbury Court is named for Nicholas Knollys, 3rd Earl of Banbury, who owned a house here called Banbury House (Covent Garden)
Bateman Street, W1D Bateman Street was named for Sir James Bateman, local landowner and Lord Mayor of London in the 1670s (Soho)
Bateman’s Buildings, W1D Bateman’s Buildings runs north from Bateman Street (Soho)
Beak Street, W1B Beak Street runs roughly east-west between Regent Street and Lexington Street (Soho)
Beak Street, W1F Beak Street is named after Thomas Beake, one of the Queen’s messengers (Soho)
Bear Street, WC2H Bear Street is a streetname with two possible derivations (Leicester Square)
Bedford Street, WC2E Bedford Street was named after local 18th century landowners the Russell family, earls/dukes of Bedford (Covent Garden)
Bedfordbury, WC2N Bedfordbury is one of the streets of London in the WC2N postal area (Covent Garden)
Berwick Road, W1F Berwick Road is one of the streets of London in the W1F postal area (Soho)
Berwick Street, W1F Berwick Street commemorates the Duke of Berwick, an illegitimate son of James II (Soho)
Binstead Street, W1D Binstead Street used to lead from Oxford Street to Oxford Market (Oxford Circus)
Blore Court, W1F Blore Court - situated at 3 Berwick Street - was built over after the Second World War (Soho)
Bourchier Street, W1D Bourchier Street was formerly, Hedge Lane, Milk Alley and Little Dean Street (Soho)
Brewer Street, W1D Brewer Street runs west to east from Glasshouse Street to Wardour Street (Soho)
Brewer Street, W1F Brewer Street is one of the streets of London in the W1F postal area (Soho)
Bridle Lane, W1B Abraham Bridle, carpenter, was lessee in the 1680s (Soho)
Broadwick Street, W1F Broadwick Street runs west-east between Marshall Street and Wardour Street, crossing Berwick Street (Soho)
Broughton House, W1S Broughton House is located on Sackville Street (Piccadilly Circus)
Brydges Place, WC2N Brydges Place replaced Taylor’s Buildings in 1904 when the Colloseum was built (Charing Cross)
Burleigh Mansions, WC2H Burleigh Mansions dates from 1885 (Leicester Square)
Burlington Arcade, SW1Y Burlington Arcade is a covered shopping arcade, 179 metres in length, that runs from Piccadilly to Burlington Gardens. (St James’s)
Cambridge Circus, WC2H Cambridge Circus is the intersection of Shaftesbury Avenue and Charing Cross Road (Soho)
Cape Yard, W1D A street within the W1D postcode (Soho)
Carlisle Street, W1D Carlisle Street commemorates the former mansion of the Countess of Carlisle during the eighteenth century (Soho)
Carlisle Walk, W1D Carlisle Walk is a road in the E8 postcode area (Soho)
Carnaby Street, W1F Carnaby Street became the heart of Swinging London (Soho)
Carriage Hall, WC2E Carriage Hall is one of the streets of London in the WC2E postal area (Covent Garden)
Cecil Court, WC2N Cecil Court is a pedestrian street with Victorian shop-frontages (Leicester Square)
Chandos Place, WC2N Chandos Place replaced the northern section of Chandos Street in 1938 (Charing Cross)
Chandos Street, WC2N Chandos Street (called Chandos Place after 1938), was named after the third Lord Chandos, the father-in-law of the fourth Earl of Bedford. (Charing Cross)
Chapone Place, W1D Hester Chapone lived No 8 Dean Street in the 1770s (Soho)
Charing Cross Mansions, WC2H Charing Cross Mansions is one of the mid 1880s block built around a widened Cecil Court (Leicester Square)
Charing Cross Road, WC2H Charing Cross Road is a street running immediately north of St Martin-in-the-Fields to St Giles Circus (Leicester Square)
Chesham House, W1B Chesham House is a block on Regent Street (Soho)
Ching Court, WC2H Ching Court is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area (Covent Garden)
Church Court, WC2N Church Court once led from Church Lane - now demolished - to Strand (Charing Cross)
Church Lane, WC2N Church Lane was once a small lane leading from the back of St-Martins-in-the-Fields church to the Strand (Charing Cross)
Church Place, SW1Y Church Place was named after the adjacent St James’s Church, Piccadilly (St James’s)
Cinema House, W1F Cinema House is a block on Wardour Street (Soho)
Clydesdale Bank House, W1J Clydesdale Bank House is a block on Piccadilly (Piccadilly Circus)
Colette House, W1J Colette House is a block on Piccadilly (St James’s)
Coventry Street, W1D Coventry Street is a short street connecting Piccadilly Circus to Leicester Square. On the London Monopoly board, it was named after the politician Henry Coventry, secretary of state to Charles II (Leicester Square)
Cranbourn Street, WC2H Cranbourne Street was named after local landowner the Earl of Salisbury, Viscount Cranbourn (Cranbourne) after the town in Dorset. (Leicester Square)
Creston House, W1F Creston House is a block on Great Pulteney Street (Soho)
D’Arblay House, W1F D’Arblay House is located on D’Arblay Street (Soho)
D’Arblay Street, W1F D’Arblay Street is named after Fanny Burney’s married name, Madame D’Arblay (Soho)
Dansey Place, W1D Dansey Place was formerly named George Yard, after a pub adjacent called the George and Dragon (Soho)
Dansey Yard, W1D George Yard was renamed Dansey Yard after 1884 (Soho)
Dean Street, W1D Dean Street is a historically rich thoroughfare that extends from Oxford Street to Shaftesbury Avenue. (Soho)
Denman House, W1J Denman House is a block on Piccadilly (Piccadilly Circus)
Denman Street, W1J Denman Street - formerly Queen Street - was named after Dr Thomas Denman midwifery pioneer in 1862 (Piccadilly Circus)
Denmark Place, WC2H Denmark Place was an alleyway one block north of Denmark Street (St Giles)
Denmark Street, WC2H Denmark Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area (St Giles)
Diadem Court, W1D Crown Court was renamed as Diadem Court in 1896 (Soho)
Duck Lane, W1F Duck Lane was possibly known for duck baiting (Soho)
Dudley Court, WC2H Dudley Court is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area (Covent Garden)
Dufours Place, W1F Paul Dufour was the lessee of this land from Pulteney in 1720s (Soho)
Duncannon Street, WC2N Duncannon Street connects Trafalgar Square and Strand (Charing Cross)
Eagle Place, SW1Y Eagle Place lies off Piccadilly (Piccadilly Circus)
Earlham Street, WC2H Earlham Street is one of the spokes leading off of Seven Dials (Covent Garden)
Earnshaw Street, WC2H Earnshaw Street was at first called Arthur Street (St Giles)
Egmont House, WC2H Egmont House is a block on Shaftesbury Avenue (Soho)
Egyptian House, W1J Egyptian House is a block on Piccadilly (St James’s)
Empire House, W1J Empire House is a block on Piccadilly (St James’s)
Endeavour House, WC2H Endeavour House is a block on Shaftesbury Avenue (St Giles)
Endell Street, WC2H Endell Street, originally known as Belton Street, is a street that runs from High Holborn in the north to Long Acre and Bow Street in the south (Covent Garden)
Europa House, W1F Europa House is a block on Great Marlborough Street (Soho)
Excel Court, WC2H Excel Court is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area (St Giles)
Falconberg Court, W1D Falconberg Court once ran off Falconberg Mews (Soho)
Falconberg Mews, W1D Falconberg Mews runs off of Sutton Row (Soho)
Fareham Street, W1D Fareham Street was renamed from Titchfield Street in 1951 (Soho)
Film House, W1F Film House is a block on Wardour Street (Soho)
Flaxman Court, W1D Flaxman Court was formerly Meard’s Passage and Swan Yard. (Soho)
Flitcroft Street, WC2H Flitcroft Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area (St Giles)
Floral Street, WC2E Floral Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2E postal area (Covent Garden)
Foubert’s Place, W1B Foubert’s Place is named after a Frenchman who had a riding school here in the reign of Charles II (Soho)
French Railway House, SW1Y French Railway House occupies 178-180 Piccadilly (St James’s)
Frith Street, W1D Frith Street is named after Richard Frith, a local builder (Soho)
Ganton Street, W1F Ganton Street runs across Carnaby Street (Soho)
Garrick Street, WC2E Garrick Street is the northern extension of Bedford Street running up to Long Acre and Cranbourne Street (Covent Garden)
Garrick Yard, WC2E Garrick Yard, together with the more familiar Garrick Street to the northeast of here, both took their names from the Garrick Club which commemorates the famous 18th century actor, David Garrick. (Covent Garden)
George Yard, W1D In 1936, George Yard became Goslett Yard (St Giles)
Gerrard Place, W1D Gerrard Place was known as Nassau Street until 1910 (Soho)
Gerrard Street, W1D Gerrard Street is the main street of Chinatown (Soho)
Glasshouse Street, W1B Glassmaking or Salt Petre manufacturing took place here from the 1670s (Soho)
Golden House, W1F Golden House is a block on Great Pulteney Street (Soho)
Golden Square, W1B Golden Square is a historic Soho square, dating from the 1670s (Soho)
Goodwins Court, WC2N Goodwins Court connects Bedfordbury with St Martin’s Lane (Covent Garden)
Goslett Yard, W1D Goslett Yard was previously George Yard, after an inn at its end (St Giles)
Gossard House, W1S Gossard House is a building on Savile Row
Great Chapel Street, W1D Great Chapel Street is named after the former Huguenot chapel at the north end of Sheraton Street (Soho)
Great Marlborough Street, W1B Great Marlborough Street runs east of Regent Street past Carnaby Street towards Noel Street (Soho)
Great Marlborough Street, W1F Great Marlborough Street was named after John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough (Soho)
Great Newport Street, WC2H Great Newport Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area (Leicester Square)
Great Pulteney Street, W1F Great Pulteney Street is named for Sir William Pulteney, estate owner in the 1670s (Soho)
Great Windmill Street, W1F Great Windmill Street has had a long association with music and entertainment, most notably the Windmill Theatre (Soho)
Greek Court, W1D Greek Court is a tiny sealed-off alleyway named after a former Greek church established in 1670s (Soho)
Greek Street, W1D Greek Street leads south from Soho Square to Shaftesbury Avenue. (Soho)
Green Dragon Yard, W1B Green Dragon Yard was named after an adjacent pub (Soho)
Greens Court, W1D Greens Court is probably called after Thomas Green, paviour, lessee in 1685 (Soho)
Ham Yard, W1D Ham Yard was the yard behind a 17th century pub called ’The Ham’ (Soho)
Hammer House, W1F Hammer House is a block on Wardour Street (Soho)
Hammersley House, W1B Hammersley House is a block on Warwick Street (Soho)
Haymarket House, W1D Haymarket House is a block on Shaver’s Place (Piccadilly Circus)
Haymarket, SW1Y Haymarket – site of a former market selling hay until the 1830s (St James’s)
Heddon House, W1B Heddon House is a block on Regent Street (Soho)
Heddon Street, W1B Heddon Street is a road in the W1S postcode area (Soho)
Heddon Street, W1B Heddon Street is one of the streets of London in the W1B postal area
Herrie’s Place, W1D Herrie’s Place was, in the eighteenth century, called Poland Yard (Soho)
Hobhouse Court, WC2H Hobhouse Court is named after Sir John Cam Hobhouse, Victorian MP and arts patron (Leicester Square)
Hog Lane, WC2H Hog Lane was a lane that went from St Giles’ leper hospital (set up in the 12th century) to the monument to Eleanor at Charing Cross. (St Giles)
Holland Street, W1F Holland Street is one of the streets of London in the W1F postal area (Soho)
Hollen Street, W1D Hollen Street was laid out in 1715-16 by Allen Hollen (Soho)
Hop Gardens, WC2N Hop Gardens is a small courtyard (Covent Garden)
Hopkins Street, W1F Hopkins Street was most likely named after Richard Hopkins, plasterer, a lessee in 1709 (Soho)
Horse and Dolphin Yard, W1D Horse and Dolphin Yard once lay behind the Horse and Dolphin Inn (Soho)
Hudson’s Court, WC2N Hudson’s Court is one of the courtyards swept away by the building of Trafalgar Square and Duncannon Street during the 1830s (Charing Cross)
Huguenot House, WC2H Huguenot House is a block on Panton Street (Leicester Square)
Husband Street, W1D Husband Street likely derived its name from Thomas Husbands, a painter (Soho)
Ingestre Court, W1F Ingestre Court is sited on Ingestre Place (Soho)
Ingestre Place, W1D In 1868, New Street and Husband Street were collectively renamed Ingestre Place. (Soho)
Irving Street, WC2H Irving Street is named after Henry Irving, the popular Victorian actor (Leicester Square)
Jebsen House, WC2H Jebsen House is a block on Mercer Street (Covent Garden)
Jermyn Street, SW1Y Jermyn Street is the main east-west road of St James’s (St James’s)
Jubilee House, W1 Jubilee House is located on Oxford Street (Oxford Circus)
Kemble House, W1D Kemble House is sited on Dean Street (Soho)
Kemp’s Court, W1F Kemp’s Court is situated in the heart of Berwick Street Market where a line of stalls stretch down both sides of the road. (Soho)
Khiara House, W1D Khiara House can be found on Poland Street (Soho)
King Street, WC2E King Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2E postal area (Covent Garden)
Kingly Court, W1B Kingly Court is a shopping court behind Kingly Street (Soho)
Kingly Street, W1B King Street became Kingly Street in 1906 (Soho)
Kings Head Yard, WC2H Kings Head Yard ran off Short’s Gardens (Covent Garden)
Kinnaird House, SW1Y Kinnaird House is a block on Pall Mall (St James’s)
Lancaster Court, WC2N Lancaster Court was an old Strand courtyard, swept away in the 1830s (Charing Cross)
Langley Court, WC2E Langley Court is one of the streets of London in the WC2E postal area (Covent Garden)
Langley House, WC2E Langley House is a building on Long Acre (Covent Garden)
Langley Street, WC2H Langley Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area (Covent Garden)
Leicester Court, WC2H Ryders Court was renamed to Leicester Court in 1936 (Leicester Square)
Leicester Place, WC2H Leicester Place leads north from Leicester Square (Soho)
Leicester Square, WC2H Leicester Square is a central tourist attraction of London (Leicester Square)
Leicester Street, SW1Y Leicester Street was named after Robert Sidney, 2nd Earl of Leicester, who purchased land in 1630 and erected a house (Leicester Square)
Lexington House, W1F Lexington House is a block on Lexington Street (Soho)
Lexington Street, W1D Lexington Street was named in 1885 after Robert Sutton Baron ’Lexinton’, the 17th century inheritor of the Pulteney estate (Soho)
Lisle Street, W1D Lisle Street leads east from Wardour Street (Soho)
Lison House, W1F Lison House is a block on Wardour Street (Soho)
Litchfield Street, WC2H Litchfield Street is possibly named after Edward Lee, 1st Earl of Lichfield, who was brother-in-law of Henry FitzRoy, 1st Duke of Grafton and son of Charles II (Leicester Square)
Little Argyll Street, W1B Little Argyll Street dates from 1736 (Soho)
Little Compton Street, W1D Little Compton Street was a street in Soho (Soho)
Little Marlborough Street, W1B Little Marlborough Street was named after John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough, an 18th century general (Soho)
Little Newport Street, WC2H Little Newport Street was renamed as Newport Place in 1939 (Leicester Square)
Livonia Street, W1F Livonia Street was originally Bentinck Street, family name of owner the Duke of Portland (Soho)
Long Acre, WC2E Long Acre is one of the streets of London in the WC2E postal area (Covent Garden)
Lower James Street, W1B Lower James Street leads southeast out of Golden Square (Soho)
Lower John Street, W1B Lower John Street is the southwest exit of Golden Square (Soho)
Lower Regent Street, SW1Y Lower Regent Street is the name for the part of Regent Street which lies south of Piccadilly Circus (St James’s)
Lowndes Court, W1F Lowndes Court was named after William Lowndes, its 17th century landowner (Soho)
Macclesfield Street, W1D Macclesfield Street leads into Soho and Chinatown from the north (Soho)
Maidstone House, WC2H Maidstone House is sited on Mercer Street (Covent Garden)
Malta House, W1J Malta House is a building on Piccadilly (Piccadilly Circus)
Manette Street, W1D Manette Street in Soho is named after the character from Dickens’ A Tale of Two Cities. (Soho)
Mappin House, W1 Mappin House is a block on Winsley Street (Oxford Circus)
Marlborough Court, W1F Marlborough Court was named for the Duke of Marlborough’s 1704 victory at Blenheim (Soho)
Marlborough House, WC2H Marlborough House is a block on Earlham Street (Covent Garden)
Marlborough Mews, W1F Marlborough Mews became - after 1910 - Ramillies Place (Soho)
Marshall Street, W1F Marshall Street was laid out for Lord Craven in 1733 (Soho)
May’s Court, WC2N May’s Court is a road in the WC2N postcode area (Covent Garden)
Meard Street, W1D John Meard, the younger was a carpenter, later a landowner, who developed the street (Soho)
Mercer Street, WC2H Mercer Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area (St Giles)
Minden House, W1F Minden House is a building on D’Arblay Street (Soho)
Monmouth Street, WC2H Monmouth Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area (Covent Garden)
Moor Street, W1D Moor Street first appears by name in 1683 (Soho)
Nags Head Yard, W1D Nags Head Yard used to lay behind Marlborough Mews (Oxford Circus)
Nassau House, WC2H Nassau House is a block on Shaftesbury Avenue (Soho)
National House, W1D National House is located on Wardour Street (Soho)
National House, W1F National House is a block on Wardour Street (Soho)
Neal Street, WC2H Neal Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area (Covent Garden)
Neal’s Yard, WC2H Neals Yard is one of the most photographed places of London (Covent Garden)
New Burlington Mews, W1B New Burlington Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1B postal area (Soho)
New Burlington Street, W1B New Burlington Street is a road in the W1B postcode area (Soho)
New Compton Street, WC2H New Compton Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area (St Giles)
New Row, WC2E New Row is one of the streets of London in the WC2N postal area (Covent Garden)
New Street, W1D New Street existed until 1868 (Soho)
Newburg Road, W1F Newburg Road is one of the streets of London in the W1F postal area (Soho)
Newburgh Street, W1F Newburgh Street - formerly West Street - was named after Lord Newburgh, a pupil of De Foubert and mentioned by Evelyn (Soho)
Newport Court, WC2H Newport Court was laid out approximately on the site of the courtyard of Newport House (Leicester Square)
Newport Place, WC2H Newport Place was named after Mountjoy Blount, Earl of Newport (Isle of Wight), who owned a house on Newport Street in the 17th century (Leicester Square)
Noel Street, W1F Noel Street is named after the Duchess of Portland, nee Lady Elizabeth Noel (Soho)
Noland House, W1D Noland House is a block on Poland Street (Soho)
Norris Street, SW1Y Norris Street – after Godfrye Norris, local leaseholder in the 17th century (Piccadilly Circus)
Nottingham Court, WC2H Nottingham Court is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area (Covent Garden)
Nuffield House, W1J Nuffield House is located on Piccadilly (St James’s)
Odhams Walk, WC2H Odhams Walk is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area (Covent Garden)
Old Compton Street, W1D Old Compton Street is a road that runs east–west through Soho (Soho)
Orange Street, WC2H Orange Street gets its name from William III, Prince of Orange - the reigning king when the street was built. (Leicester Square)
Orion House, WC2H Orion House is a block on Upper St Martin’s Lane (Covent Garden)
Ormond Yard, SW1Y Ormond Yard was named after James Butler, 1st Duke of Ormonde, who owned a house next to this yard in the 17th century (St James’s)
Oxendon Street, W1D Oxendon Street, after Sir Henry Oxendon, husband of Mary Baker, daughter of Robert Baker who built the former Piccadilly House nearby (Leicester Square)
Oxford Street, W1F Oxford Street is the main shopping street of London (Soho)
Palladium House, W1B Palladium House is a grade II listed (in 1981) Art Deco office building located on the corner of Great Marlborough Street and Argyll Street (Soho)
Panton Street, SW1Y Panton Street was named after Colonel Thomas Panton, local property dealer of the 17th century (Leicester Square)
Paramount House, W1F Paramount House can be found on Wardour Street (Soho)
Pargiter Court, W1F Pargiter Court is a block on Silver Place (Soho)
Peter Street, W1D Peter Street likely originated as a passage to the saltpetre house built around 1656, situated between Peter Street and Brewer Street. (Soho)
Phoenix House, WC2H Phoenix House is sited on Phoenix Street (St Giles)
Phoenix Street, WC2H Phoenix Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area (St Giles)
Piccadilly Arcade, SW1Y Piccadilly Arcade runs between Piccadilly and Jermyn Street (St James’s)
Piccadilly Circus, W1J Piccadilly Circus was laid out by John Nash in 1819 (Piccadilly Circus)
Piccadilly Place, SW1Y Piccadilly Place is an alleyway leading to Vine Street (Piccadilly Circus)
Piccadilly, SW1Y Piccadilly is one of the main London streets (St James’s)
Poland Street, W1F Poland Street was named for the former King of Poland Inn, situated as its northern end (Soho)
Portland Mews, W1F Portland Mews is so-named as it is part of the Portland Estate (Soho)
Princes Arcade, SW1Y Princes Arcade, built 1929–33, was named after the former Prince’s Hotel, which stood here (St James’s)
Quadrant Arcade, W1B Quadrant Arcade - part of a shopping centre - is named after the Quadrant to the south of Regent Street (Soho)
Ramillies House, W1F Ramillies House is sited on Ramillies Street (Soho)
Ramillies Place, W1F Ramillies Place is a short street situated off the southern side of Oxford Street (Soho)
Ramillies Street, W1D Ramillies Street, which was previously known as Blenheim Street before 1885, was situated at a lower level than Oxford Street. (Soho)
Regency House, W1B Regency House is sited on Warwick Street (Soho)
Regent Place, W1B Regent Place is named for the Prince Regent at the name of construction (Soho)
Regent Street, W1B Regent Street dates from the 1810s and was named after the Prince Regent, later George IV (Soho)
Rex House, SW1Y Rex House is a building on Regent Street (St James’s)
Richmond Buildings, W1D Richmond Buildings is a turning off Dean Street (Soho)
Richmond Mews, W1D Richmond Mews, like Richmond Buildings, is named for Thomas Richmond (Soho)
Romilly Street, W1D Romilly Street is a small street that runs behind Shaftesbury Avenue and takes its name from lawyer Samuel Romilly (Soho)
Rose Street, WC2N Rose Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2E postal area (Covent Garden)
Royalty House, W1S Royalty House is a block on Sackville Street (Mayfair)
Royalty Mews, W1D Royalty Mews was named after the former Royalty Theatre (1840-1938) (Soho)
Rupert Court, W1D Rupert Court was named for Prince Rupert of the Rhine, the First Lord of the Admiralty when the court was built in 1676 (Soho)
Rupert Street, W1D Rupert Street – after Prince Rupert of the Rhine, noted 17th century general and son of Elizabeth Stuart, daughter of King James I (Soho)
Sackville Street, W1B Sackville Street runs north from Piccadilly (Mayfair)
Salt House, W1F Salt House is a building on Peter Street (Soho)
Samuel House, SW1Y Samuel House is located on St Alban’s Street (St James’s)
Sandringham Court, W1F Sandringham Court can be found on Dufour’s Place (Soho)
Screen House, W1F Screen House is a block on Wardour Street (Soho)
Seven Dials, WC2H Seven Dials was built on the site of the Cock-and-Pie Fields, named for a nearby inn (Covent Garden)
Shaftesbury Avenue, W1D Shaftesbury Avenue is a major street in the West End of London, named after Anthony Ashley Cooper, 7th Earl of Shaftesbury (Soho)
Shaftesbury Avenue, WC2H Shaftesbury Avenue was named after Anthony Ashley Cooper, 7th Earl of Shaftesbury, Victorian politician and philanthropist (St Giles)
Shelton Street, WC2H Shelton Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area (Covent Garden)
Sheraton Street, W1D Sheraton Street - formerly Little Chapel Street until 1937 - was renamed after Thomas Sheraton, furniture designer (Soho)
Sherwood Street, W1B Sherwood Street is ultimately named for Francis Sherard, a Pulteney lessee (Piccadilly Circus)
Shorts Gardens, WC2H Shorts Gardens is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area (Covent Garden)
Silver House, W1F Silver House is located on Carnaby Street (Soho)
Silver Place, W1F Silver Place has an unknown name origin (Soho)
Slingsby Place, WC2E Slingsby Place is one of the streets of London in the WC2E postal area (Covent Garden)
Smiths Court, W1D Smiths Court once hosted a blacksmith - hence the name (Soho)
Soho Square, W1D In its early years, Soho Square was one of the most fashionable places to live in London (Soho)
Soho Street, W1D Soho Street leads north out of Soho Square (Soho)
Sounding Alley, WC2H Sounding Alley is a road in the E3 postcode area (St Giles)
St Alban’s House, SW1Y St Alban’s House can be found on Haymarket (St James’s)
St Albans Street, SW1Y St Albans Street was named after Henry Jermyn, 1st Earl of Saint Albans, 17th century politician and local landowner (Piccadilly Circus)
St Anne’s Court, W1D St Anne’s Court is an alleyway that connects Dean Street and Wardour Street (Soho)
St Giles High Street, WC2H St Giles High Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area (St Giles)
St Giles House, W1D St Giles House is a block on Poland Street (Soho)
St Giles Passage, WC2H St Giles Passage is named after St Giles Hospital, a leper hospital founded by Matilda of Scotland, wife of Henry I in 1117 (St Giles)
St Giles Square, WC2H St Giles Square is part of a new, post-Crossrail, development (St Giles)
St James’s Market, SW1Y St James’s Market was part of the site of St James’s leper hospital in the Middle Ages, named after James, son of Zebedee (Piccadilly Circus)
St Martins Court, WC2H St Martins Court is one of the streets of London in the WC2N postal area (Leicester Square)
St Martins Lane, WC2N St Martins Lane runs up to Seven Dials from St Martin’s-in-the-Fields (Covent Garden)
St Martins Place, WC2N St Martin’s Place is a short stretch connecting Trafalgar Square to the bottom of Charing Cross Road (Charing Cross)
St Martins Street, WC2H St Martins Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area (Leicester Square)
Stacey Street, WC2H Stacey Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area (St Giles)
Stirling Court, W1F Stirling Court is a block on Marshall Street (Soho)
Suffolk Place, SW1Y The Earl of Suffolk (Thomas Howard) was the reason for the naming of Suffolk Place (St James’s)
Suffolk Street, SW1Y Suffolk Street was named after Thomas Howard, Earl of Suffolk, who owned a stable yard attached to Northumberland House which lay on this site (St James’s)
Sutherland House, W1F Sutherland House is a block on Argyll Street (Soho)
Sutton Row, W1D Sutton Row has existed since 1681 (Soho)
Swallow Street, SW1Y Swallow Street honours Thomas Swallow, lessee in 1540 of the pastures on which the road was built (Piccadilly Circus)
Swan House, W1D Swan House is a block on Poland Street (Soho)
Swiss Court, SW1Y Swiss Court is named for the former Swiss Centre, once located here (Leicester Square)
Tenison Court, W1B Tenison Court was named for Dr Thomas Tenison, Archbishop of Canterbury (Soho)
The Arches, WC2N The Arches runs directly under Charing Cross station as a short cut from Villiers Street to Northumberland Avenue (Charing Cross)
The London Pavillion, SW1Y The London Pavilion is a building on Piccadilly Circus (Soho)
Thomas Neal Centre, WC2H Thomas Neal Centre is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area (Covent Garden)
Tisbury Court, W1D Tisbury Court lies off Wardour Street (Soho)
Titchfield Street, W1D Titchfield Street became Fareham Street in 1951 (Soho)
Tonbridge House, WC2H Tonbridge House is a block on Mercer Street (Covent Garden)
Tower Court, WC2H Tower Court is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area (Covent Garden)
Tower Street, WC2H Tower Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area (Covent Garden)
Townsend House, W1D Residential block (Soho)
Turks Head Yard, W1D Turks Head Yard was once a courtyard north of Oxford Street (Oxford Circus)
Turner House, W1B Turner House is a block on Great Marlborough Street (Soho)
Tyler’s Court, W1F A plot of land here was rented to Richard Tyler in 1682 when the area remained fields (Soho)
Upper James Street, W1F Upper James Street is the northernmost street leading into Golden Square (Soho)
Upper John Street, W1B Upper John Street leads northwest out of Golden Square (Soho)
Upper St Martin’s Lane, WC2H This is a street in the WC2H postcode area (Covent Garden)
Urbanora House, W1F Urbanora House is a block on Wardour Street (Soho)
Vale Royal House, WC2H Vale Royal House is a block on Charing Cross Road (Leicester Square)
Victory House, W1B Victory House is a block on Regent Street (Piccadilly Circus)
Vigo Street, W1J Vigo Street is a short street running west from Regent Street
Villiers Street, WC2N Villiers Street was named after George Villiers, 1st Duke of Buckingham (Charing Cross)
Vine Street, SW1Y Vine Street is a short dead-end street running east from Swallow Street and is parallel to Piccadilly (Piccadilly Circus)
Walker’s Court, W1D Walker’s Court is one of the many passageways which in past years was known as ’Paved Alley’. (Soho)
Wardour Mews, W1F Wardour Mews is a cul-de-sac off of Portland Street (Soho)
Wardour Street, W1D The W1D part of Wardour Street south of Shaftesbury Avenue runs through London’s Chinatown (Soho)
Wardour Street, W1F Wardour Street is a street that runs north from Leicester Square, through Chinatown, across Shaftesbury Avenue to Oxford Street (Soho)
Warwick Street, W1B Warwick Street was previously known as both Dog Lane and Marrowbone Lane (Soho)
Waverley House, W1F Waverley House is a block on Noel Street (Soho)
Wedgwood Mews, W1D Wedgwood Mews hosted Josiah Wedgwood’s showrooms between 1774 and 1795 (Soho)
Wellington Mews, W1B Wellington Mews was a new name for a stable yard without a name before the nineteenth century (Soho)
West End House, W1D West End House is a block on Hill’s Place (Oxford Circus)
West Street, WC2H West Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area (Covent Garden)
Westmorland House, W1B Westmorland House is a block on Regent Street (Soho)
Whitcomb Street, WC2H Whitcomb Street - named after William Whitcomb, 17th century brewer and property developer (Leicester Square)
White Bear Yard, WC2H White Bear Yard - named after a former pub - was off the north side of Lisle Street (Soho)
Wilder Walk, W1J Wilder Walk was named for Councillor Ian Wilder in 2012 (Piccadilly Circus)
William Blake House, W1F William Blake House is a block on Marshall Street (Soho)
William IV Street, WC2N William IV Street runs from Charing Cross Road to the Strand (Charing Cross)
Wingate House, WC2H Wingate House is a block on Shaftesbury Avenue (Soho)
Winnett Street, W1D Previously Upper Rupert Street, Winnett Street was ultimately named after local eigteenth-century glass merchant Thomas Winnet (Soho)
York Place, WC2N York Place marks the location of a house on this site (Charing Cross)
Zimbabwe House, WC2N Charles Holden designed this building located on the corner of Agar Street and Strand for the British Medical Association. (Charing Cross)

NEARBY PUBS
Adam and Eve Inn The Adam and Eve was an inn on Oxford Street.
Admiral Duncan The Admiral Duncan is well-known as one of Soho’s oldest gay pubs.
Clock House The Coach & Horses is a pub on the corner of Romilly Street and Greek Street.
Coach And Horses The Coach and Horses pub has been on Great Marlborough Street since the mid-18th century.
De Hems De Hems has become a base for London’s Dutch community, serving bitterballen and frikandellen.
Dog and Duck The Dog and Duck is on the corner of Frith Street and Bateman Street.
Graphic Bar This bar used to be known as the Midas Touch.


Click here to explore another London street
We now have 670 completed street histories and 46830 partial histories


Click here to see photos of the area


  Contact us · Copyright policy · Privacy policy