Omeara Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Anchor Terrace, SE1 The streetscape of Anchor Terrace largely involves small late 18th century residential properties Angel Place, SE1 Angel Place was the site of the Marshalsea Prison between 1811 and 1842. Baden Place, SE1 Baden Place is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Bank End, SE1 Bank End is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Bankside, SE1 Bankside is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Bear Lane, SE1 Bear Lane is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Clink Street, SE1 Clink Street is best known as the historic location of the Clink Prison. Copperfield Street, SE1 Copperfield Street was named after the novel David Copperfield by Charles Dickens, by association with nearby Dickens Square. Crosby Row, SE1 Crosby Row is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Disney Place, SE1 Disney Place is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Doyce Street, SE1 Doyce Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Duke St Hill, SE1 Duke St Hill is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Ewer Street, SE1 Ewer Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Lant Street, SE1 Lant Street derives its name from the Lant family who inherited the estates known as Southwark Olace. Loman Street, SE1 Loman Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Marshalsea Road, SE1 Marshalsea Road was previously called Mint Street after a royal Tudor coin mint in the area. Mint Street, SE1 Mint Street, an ancient Southwark street, (now) runs off Marchelsea Road. Park Street, SE1 Park Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Rose Alley, SE1 Rose Alley is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Sawyer Street, SE1 Sawyer Street is named after Bob Sawyer, a character in the novel The Pickwick Papers by local resident Charles Dickens. Silex Street, SE1 Silex Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Soho Wharf, SE1 Soho Wharf is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Southwark Street, SE1 Southwark Street is a major street just south of the River Thames. It runs between Blackfriars Road to the west and Borough High Street to the east. Sumner Street, SE1 Sumner Street runs from Great Guildford Street to Southwark Bridge Road. Talbot Yard, SE1 Talbot Yard used to host one of the most famous inns in English literature. The Mews, SE1 The Mews is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Vine Yard, SE1 Vine Yard is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Weller Street, SE1 Weller Street is one of several local streets named after Dickens characters. Zoar Street, SE1 Zoar Street is named after the former Zoar Chapel here, named for the Biblical Zoara.
Southwark is the area immediately south of London Bridge, opposite the City of London.
Southwark is on a previously marshy area south of the River Thames. Recent excavation has revealed prehistoric activity including evidence of early ploughing, burial mounds and ritual activity. The area was originally a series of islands in the River Thames. This formed the best place to bridge the Thames and the area became an important part of Londinium owing its importance to its position as the endpoint of the Roman London Bridge
. Two Roman roads, Stane Street and Watling Street, met at Southwark in what is now Borough High Street
At some point the Bridge fell or was pulled down. Southwark and the city seem to have become largely deserted during the Early Middle Ages. Archaeologically, evidence of settlement is replaced by a largely featureless soil called the Dark Earth which probably (although this is contested) represents an urban area abandoned.
Southwark appears to recover only during the time of King Alfred and his successors. Sometime in and around 886 AD the Bridge was rebuilt and the City and Southwark restored. Southwark was called ’Suddringa Geworc’ which means the ’defensive works of the men of Surrey’. It was probably fortified to defend the bridge and hence the re-emerging City of London to the north. This defensive role is highlighted by the use of the Bridge as a defense against King Swein, his son King Cnut and in 1066, against King William the Conqueror. He failed to force the Bridge during the Norman conquest of England, but Southwark was devastated.
Much of Southwark was originally owned by the church - the greatest reminder of monastic London is Southwark Cathedral, originally the priory of St Mary Overy.
During the Middle Ages, Southwark remained outside of the control of the City and was a haven for criminals and free traders, who would sell goods and conduct trades outside the regulation of the City Livery Companies. An important market - later to become known as the Borough Market
- was established there some time in the 13th century. The area was renowned for its inns, especially The Tabard, from which Chaucer’s pilgrims set off on their journey in The Canterbury Tales.
After many decades’ petitioning, in 1550, Southwark was incorporated into the City of London as ’The Ward of Bridge Without’. It became the entertainment district for London, and it was also the red-light area. In 1599, William Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre was built on the South Bank in Southwark, though it burned down in 1613. A modern replica, also called the Globe, has been built near the original site. Southwark was also a favorite area for entertainment like bull and bear-baiting. There was also a famous fair in Southwark which took place near the Church of St. George the Martyr. William Hogarth depicted this fair in his engraving of Southwark Fair (1733).
In 1844 the railway reached Southwark with the opening of London Bridge
In 1861 the Great Fire of Southwark destroyed a large number of buildings between Tooley Street and the Thames, including those around Hays Wharf, where Hays Galleria was later built, and blocks to the west almost as far as St Olave’s Church.
In 1899 Southwark was incorporated along with Newington and Walworth into the Metropolitan Borough of Southwark, and in 1965 this was incorporated with the Metropolitan Borough of Camberwell and Metropolitan Borough of Bermondsey into the London Borough of Southwark.
Southwark tube station was opened on 20 November 1999 as part of the Jubilee Line Extension.
The original plan for the Extension did not include a station between those at Waterloo and London Bridge
; Southwark station was added after lobbying by the local council. Although it is close to Waterloo, not near the Bankside
attractions it was intended to serve, and its only rail interchange is to London Waterloo East mainline station; the passenger usage matches those of other minor central stations. It does however get over double the traffic of nearby Borough station and around triple Lambeth North.