Orde Hall Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1N postal area.
Foundling Hospital The Foundling Hospital in London was founded in 1741 by the philanthropic sea captain Thomas Coram. Horse Hospital Built as stabling for cabby’s sick horses, The Horse Hospital is now a unique Grade II listed arts venue in Bloomsbury WC1 Staple Inn Staple Inn is London’s only surviving sixteenth-century domestic building, situated on the south side of High Holborn. Abbey Place, WC1H Abbey Place was in the centre of Bloomsbury, off what was originally the west side of Little Coram Street and directly behind the Russell Institution on Great Coram Street. Bedford Row, WC1R Bedford Row is one of the streets of London in the WC1R postal area. Bloomsbury Square, WC1A The 4th Earl of Southampton was granted a building license for the construction of Bloomsbury Square in 1661. Bury Place, WC1A Bury Place is one of the streets of London in the WC1A postal area. Colonnade, WC1N Colonnade is one of the streets of London in the WC1N postal area. Cosmo Place, WC1N Cosmo Place is one of the streets of London in the WC1N postal area. Dane Street, WC1R Dane Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1R postal area. Elm Street, WC1X Elm Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1X postal area. Field Court, WC1R Field Court is one of the streets of London in the WC1R postal area. Galen Place, WC1A Galen Place is one of the streets of London in the WC1A postal area. Grays Inn, WC1X Grays Inn is one of the streets of London in the WC1X postal area. Great Russell Street, WC1A Great Russell Street commemorates the marriage of the daughter of the 4th Earl of Southampton to William Russell in 1669. Hand Court, WC1V Hand Court is one of the streets of London in the WC1V postal area. Herbrand Street, WC1N Herbrand Street is in the east of Bloomsbury, running south from Tavistock Place to Guilford Street. High Holborn, WC1V High Holborn was part of the old road from Newgate and the Tower to the gallows at Tyburn. John Street, WC1N John Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1N postal area. Johns Mews, WC1N Johns Mews is one of the streets of London in the WC1N postal area. Kings Mews, WC1N Kings Mews is one of the streets of London in the WC1N postal area. Kirk Street, WC1N Kirk Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1N postal area. Lion Court, WC1V Lion Court is one of the streets of London in the WC1V postal area. Little Guildford Street Little Guildford Street was the middle part of what is now Herbrand Street, between Great Coram Street and Bernard Street, on the western edge of the Foundling estate. Long Yard, WC1N Long Yard is one of the streets of London in the WC1N postal area. Neals Yard, WC1N Neals Yard is one of the streets of London in the WC1N postal area. North Mews, WC1N North Mews is one of the streets of London in the WC1N postal area. Orange Street, WC1R Orange Street disappeared from the map to be replaced by St Martin’s College of Art (now Central Saint Martins). PO Box 4 Baldwins Gardens is one of the streets of London in the WC1X postal area. Russell Square, WC1B Russell Square was laid out from 1800 by James Burton following the demolition of Bedford House, which originally stood on the site surrounded by gardens and fields. Sicilian Avenue, WC1A Sicilian Avenue is a shopping parade that diagonally runs in between Southampton Row and Bloomsbury Way. Southampton Buildings, WC2A Southampton Buildings marks the site of the house of the 4th Earl of Southampton, son of Shakespeare’s patron. Wren Street, WC1X Wren Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1Xpostal area.
Bloomsbury is an area of the London Borough of Camden, in central London, between Euston Road and Holborn, developed by the Russell family in the 17th and 18th centuries into a fashionable residential area.
The earliest record of what would become Bloomsbury is the 1086 Domesday Book, which records that the area had vineyards and 'wood for 100 pigs'. But it is not until 1201 that the name Bloomsbury is first noted, when William de Blemond, a Norman landowner, acquired the land.
The name Bloomsbury is a development from Blemondisberi
– the bury, or manor, of Blemond. An 1878 publication, Old and New London: Volume 4, mentions the idea that the area was named after a village called Lomesbury
which formerly stood where Bloomsbury Square
is now, though this piece of folk etymology is now discredited.
At the end of the 14th century Edward III acquired Blemond's manor, and passed it on to the Carthusian monks of the London Charterhouse, who kept the area mostly rural.
In the 16th century, with the Dissolution of the Monasteries, Henry VIII took the land back into the possession of the Crown, and granted it to Thomas Wriothesley, 1st Earl of Southampton.
In the early 1660s, the Earl of Southampton constructed what eventually became Bloomsbury Square
. The area was laid out mainly in the 18th century, largely by landowners such as Wriothesley Russell, 3rd Duke of Bedford, who built Bloomsbury Market, which opened in 1730. The major development of the squares that we see today started in about 1800 when Francis Russell, 5th Duke of Bedford removed Bedford House and developed the land to the north with Russell Square
as its centrepiece.
Historically, Bloomsbury is associated with the arts, education, and medicine. The area gives its name to the Bloomsbury Group of artists, the most famous of whom was Virginia Woolf, who met in private homes in the area in the early 1900s, and to the lesser known Bloomsbury Gang of Whigs formed in 1765 by John Russell, 4th Duke of Bedford.
The publisher Faber & Faber used to be located in Queen Square
, though at the time T. S. Eliot was editor the offices were in Tavistock Square. The Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood was founded in John Millais's parents' house on Gower Street in 1848.
The Bloomsbury Festival was launched in 2006 when local resident Roma Backhouse was commissioned to mark the re-opening of the Brunswick Centre
, a residential and shopping area. The free festival is a celebration of the local area, partnering with galleries, libraries and museums, and achieved charitable status at the end of 2012.