Ossulston Street is a street in Camden Town.
Ossulston Estate The Ossulston Estate is a multi-storey council estate built by the London County Council in Somers Town between 1927 and 1931. Somers Town Somers Town is a district close to three main line rail termini - Euston, St Pancras and King’s Cross. St. James Gardens St. James Gardens were used as a burial ground between 1790 and 1853. Albion Yard, E1 Albion Yard is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Aldenham Street, NW1 Aldenham Street – Richard Platt, 16th century brewer and local landowner, gave land for the endowment of Aldenham School, Hertfordshire. Argyle Street, WC1H Argyle Street, originally Manchester Street, was named after the former Argyle House. Crinan Street, N1 Crinan Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area. Cromer Street, WC1H Cromer Street originally gave access from Gray’s Inn Road to Greenland Place and a bowling green. Denton Street, N1C Denton Street disappeared under the construction of St Pancras station. Dukes Road, WC1H Dukes Road is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area. Euston Road, N1 The easternmost section of the Euston Road lies in the N1 postcode and runs along the facade of Kings Cross Station. Judd Street, WC1H Judd Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area. Medburn Street, NW1 Medburn Street is named after a farm between Elstree and Radlett in Hertfordshire. The Polygon The Polygon was a housing estate, a Georgian building with 15 sides and three storeys that contained 32 houses. Watford Street, NW1 Watford Street was cleared away in the 1860s to make way to St Pancras station. Wilsted Street, NW1 Wilsted Street was the original name for the lower end of Ossulston Street. York Way, N1 York Way has been a thoroughfare since the twelfth century.
St Pancras railway station, celebrated for its architecture, is built on the site of the St Pancras suburb of London.
For many centuries the St Pancras name was used for various officially-designated areas, but it is now used mainly for the railway station and for upmarket venues in the immediate locality, having been largely superseded by other place names including Kings Cross
, Somers Town, and Camden Town, or simply Camden.
St Pancras was originally a medieval parish, which ran from close to what is now Oxford Street north as far as Highgate, and from what is now Regent’s Park in the west to the road now known as York Way
in the east, boundaries which take in much of the current London Borough of Camden, including its central part. However, as the choice of name for the borough suggests, St Pancras has lost its status as the central settlement in the area.
The original focus of the area was the church, now known by the retronym of St Pancras Old Church. The building is in the southern half of the parish, and is believed by many to be one of the oldest sites of Christian worship in Great Britain. However, in the 14th century the population moved en masse to Kentish Town, probably due to flooding by the River Fleet and the availability of better wells at the new location. A chapel of ease was established there, and the old settlement was abandoned, except for a few farms, until the growth of London in the late eighteenth century.
In the 1790s Earl Camden began to develop some fields to the north and west of the old church as Camden Town. About the same time, a residential district was built to the south and east of the church, usually known as Somers Town. In 1822 the new church of St Pancras was dedicated as the parish church. The site was chosen on what was then called the New Road, now Euston Road
, which had been built as London’s first bypass, the M25 of its day. The two sites are about a kilometer apart. The new church is Grade I listed for its Greek Revival style; the old church was rebuilt in 1847. In the mid 19th century two major railway stations were built to the south of the Old Church, first Kings Cross
and later St Pancras. The new church is closer to Euston Station.
By the end of the nineteenth century the ancient parish had been divided into 37 parishes, including one for the old church. There are currently 17 Church of England parishes completely contained within the boundaries of the ancient parish, all of which benefit from the distributions from the St Pancras Lands Trust, and most of which are in South Camden Deanery in the Edmonton Area of the Diocese of London.
St Pancras railway station was opened in 1868 by the Midland Railway as the southern terminus of its main line, which connected London with the East Midlands and Yorkshire. When inaugurated, the arched train shed by William Henry Barlow was the largest single-span roof in the world. Today, Midland main line services to Corby, Sheffield and Nottingham are operated by East Midlands Trains, and St Pancras is a stop on the Thameslink route as well as being the terminus of Southeastern high-speed trains to Kent.