Park Royal Road, W3
Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before. Most of the urban landscape is interwar
Print-friendly version of this page Abbey Road, NW10 Abbey Road is a major road connecting the North Circular Road to Acton Lane. Coronation Road, NW10 Coronation Road was built to provide access to the Royal Agricultural Showground which was originally here. Hatfield Road, W4 Hatfield Road stands on land that had previously been part of the Cowper-Essex estate, agricultural land also known as the Oldfield lands. Waxlow Road, NW10 Waxlow Road was built west of Acton Lane in 1901, between the canal and the railway.
East Acton is an area in west London.
Anciently, East Acton and Acton developed as separate settlements and the nearby districts of North Acton, West Acton and South Acton were developed in the late nineteenth century.
East Acton, largely separated from London by Wormwood Scrubs developed later and was mainly agricultural until after the arrival of the underground railway.
East Acton station opened in 1920 on the Ealing Broadway extension of the Central London Railway (CLR), which was renamed the Central line in 1937.
The new line was built with connections to the West London Line near Shepherd’s Bush, the former GWR main line to Birmingham at North Acton, and the main line to Bristol at Ealing Broadway.
Since the CLR was exclusively a passenger service, two extra dedicated tracks for the GWR’s freight trains were opened in 1938, but were closed in 1964. The trackbed of these rails is now overgrown, with vegetation visible immediately to the north of the station.
East Acton was mentioned frequently in the classic 1950s radio comedy series the Goon Show, as the Goons used to rehearse in a room over a greengrocers in East Acton.