The Underground Map
Added: 20 Sep 2020 13:01 GMT
Pepys starts diary
On 1 January 1659, Samuel Pepys started his famous daily diary and maintained it for ten years. The diary has become perhaps the most extensive source of information on this critical period of English history. Pepys never considered that his diary would be read by others. The original diary consisted of six volumes written in Shelton shorthand, which he had learned as an undergraduate on scholarship at Magdalene College, Cambridge. This shorthand was introduced in 1626, and was the same system Isaac Newton used when writing.
Added: 11 Apr 2021 20:03 GMT
The North Harrow Embassy Cinema was closed in 1963 and replaced by a bowling alley and a supermarket. As well as the cinema itself there was a substantial restaurant on the first floor.
Source: Embassy Cinema in North Harrow, GB - Cinema Treasures
Added: 11 Apr 2021 12:34 GMT
1900’s Cranmer family lived here at 105 (changed to 185 when road was re-numbered)
James Cranmer wife Louisa ( b.Logan)
They had 3 children one being my grandparent William (Bill) CRANMER married to grandmother “Nancy” He used to go to
Glengall Tavern in Bird in Bush Rd ,now been converted to flats.
Added: 10 Apr 2021 18:51 GMT
apollo pub 1950s
Ted Lengthorne was the landlord of the apollo in the 1950s. A local called darkie broom who lived at number 5 lancaster road used to be the potman,I remember being in the appollo at a street party that was moved inside the pub because of rain for the queens coronation . Not sure how long the lengthornes had the pub but remember teds daughter julie being landlady in the early 1970,s
Added: 10 Apr 2021 10:24 GMT
Lloyd & Sons, Tin Box Manufacturers (1859 - 1982)
A Lloyd & Sons occupied the wharf (now known as Lloyds Wharf, Mill Street) from the mid 19th Century to the late 20th Century. Best known for making tin boxes they also produced a range of things from petrol canisters to collecting tins. They won a notorious libel case in 1915 when a local councillor criticised the working conditions which, in fairness, weren’t great. There was a major fire here in 1929 but the company survived at least until 1982 and probably a year or two after that.
Added: 5 Apr 2021 21:05 GMT
Lavender Road, SW11
MyFather and Grand father lived at 100 Lavender Road many years .I was born here.
Added: 3 Apr 2021 17:19 GMT
Havering Street, E1
My mother was born at 48 Havering Street. That house no longer exists. It disappeared from the map by 1950. Family name Schneider, mother Ray and father Joe. Joe’s parents lived just up the road at 311 Cable Street
Added: 27 Mar 2021 11:13 GMT
St Jude’s Church, Lancefield Street
Saint Jude’s was constructed in 1878, while the parish was assigned in 1879 from the parish of Saint John, Kensal Green (P87/JNE2). The parish was united with the parishes of Saint Luke (P87/LUK1) and Saint Simon (P87/SIM) in 1952. The church was used as a chapel of ease for a few years, but in 1959 it was closed and later demolished.
The church is visible on the 1900 map for the street on the right hand side above the junction with Mozart Street.
Source: SAINT JUDE, KENSAL GREEN: LANCEFIELD STREET, WESTMINSTER | Londo
Added: 27 Mar 2021 11:08 GMT
Wedding at St Jude’s Church
On 9th November 1884 Charles Selby and Johanna Hanlon got married in St Jude’s Church on Lancefield Street. They lived together close by at 103 Lancefield Street.
Charles was a Lather, so worked in construction. He was only 21 but was already a widower.
Johanna is not shown as having a profession but this is common in the records and elsewhere she is shown as being an Ironer or a Laundress. It is possible that she worked at the large laundry shown at the top of Lancefield Road on the 1900 map. She was also 21. She was not literate as her signature on the record is a cross.
The ceremony was carried out by William Hugh Wood and was witnessed by Charles H Hudson and Caroline Hudson.
Bank of England The Bank of England is the central bank of the United Kingdom. London (1926) In 1926 Claude Friese-Greene shot some of the first-ever colour film footage around London, capturing everyday life. Mermaid Tavern The Mermaid Tavern was a notable tavern during the Elizabethan era. St Benet Sherehog St Benet Sherehog was a medieval parish church built before the year 1111 in Cordwainer Ward, in what was then the wool-dealing district. St Gregory by St Paul’s St Gregory’s by St Paul’s was a parish church in the Castle Baynard ward of the City of London. St James Garlickhythe James Garlickhythe is a Church of England parish church in Vintry ward of the City of London, nicknamed "˜Wren’s lantern" owing to its profusion of windows. St Martin Pomary St Martin Pomeroy was a parish church in the Cheap ward of the City of London. St Mary Aldermary The Guild Church of St Mary Aldermary is an Anglican church located in Watling Street at the junction with Bow Lane, in the City of London. St Mary Colechurch St Mary Colechurch was a parish church in the City of London destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666 and not rebuilt. St Mary Magdalen Old Fish Street Mary Magdalen Old Fish Street was a church in Castle Baynard ward of the City of London, located on the corner of Old Fish Street and Old Change, on land now covered by post-War development. St Mary Mounthaw St Mary Mounthaw or Mounthaut was a parish church in Old Fish Street Hill. St Mary Somerset St. Mary Somerset was a church in the City of London first recorded in the twelfth century. Destroyed in the Great Fire, it was one of the 51 churches rebuilt by the office of Sir Christopher Wren. St Mary-le-Bow St Mary-le-Bow is an historic church rebuilt after the Great Fire of 1666 by Sir Christopher Wren. According to tradition a true Cockney must be born within earshot of the sound of Bow Bells.
St Matthew Friday Street St. Matthew Friday Street was a church in the City of London located on Friday Street, off Cheapside. St Michael Queenhithe St. Michael Queenhithe was a church in the City of London located in what is now Upper Thames Street. St Michael-le-Querne St Michael-le-Querne, also called St Michael ad Bladum, was a parish church in the Farringdon Within Ward in the City of London. St Mildred, Bread Street The church of St Mildred, Bread Street, stood on the east side of Bread Street in the Bread Street Ward of the City of London. St Nicholas Cole Abbey St. Nicholas Cole Abbey is a church in the City of London located on what is now Queen Victoria Street. St Peter, Westcheap St Peter, Westcheap, sometimes known simply as ’St Peter Cheap’, was a parish church in the City of London. St Thomas the Apostle St Thomas the Apostle was a parish church in Knightrider Street in the City of London. St. Mary Magdalen, Milk Street St. Mary Magdalen, Milk Street, was a parish church in the City of London, England. It was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666 and not rebuilt. The Steelyard The Steelyard was the main trading base (kontor) of the Hanseatic League in London during 15th and 16th centuries. Walbrook Wharf Walbrook Wharf is an operating freight wharf located in the City of London adjacent to Cannon Street station. Abchurch Yard, EC4N First mentioned in 1732, Abchurch Yard was built on the St Mary Abchurch churchyard. Addle Hill, EC4V Addle Hill, formerly Addle Street, originally ran from Upper Thames Street from Carter Lane. Adelaide House, EC3R Adelaide House is a Grade II listed Art Deco office building in the City of London. Amen Corner, EC4M Originally called Amen Lane, this short path forms the approach road to Amen Court. Amen Court, EC4M Many of the highways and byways around the precincts of St Paul’s Cathedral bear names which have ecclesiastical origins. Ave Maria Lane, EC4M Ave Maria Lane is the southern extension of Warwick Lane, between Amen Corner and Ludgate Hill. Bankside, SE1 Bankside is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area. Bartholomew Lane, EC3V Bartholomew Lane runs between the junction of Lothbury and Throgmorton Street in the north to Threadneedle Street in the south. Bow Lane, EC4M Bow Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area. Budge Row, EC4N Budge Row lies off the north side of Cannon Street, about 80 yards west of the main line station. Bush Lane, EC4R Bush Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4R postal area. Cannon Street, EC4N Cannon Street runs nearly parallel with the River Thames, about 250 metres north of it, in the south of the City of London. Cannon Street, EC4R Cannon Street follows the route of a riverside path that ran along the Thames. Capel Court, EC2R On the east side of the Bank of England turn into Bartholomew Lane. Capel Court is off to the east. Carey Lane, EC2V Carey Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC2V postal area. Carter Lane, EC4M Carter Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area. Carter Lane, EC4V Carter Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area. Change Alley, EC3V Change Alley is a thoroughfare between Lombard Street and Cornhill in London’s financial district. Cheapside, EC2V Cheapside is a street in the City of London, the historic and modern financial centre of London. Cloak Lane, EC4N Cloak Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4R postal area. College Hill, EC4R College Hill is named after Sir Richard Whittington’s college, set up here in the early 1400s. Cousin Lane, EC4R Cousin Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4R postal area. Creed Court, EC4M Creed Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area. Creed Lane, EC4V Creed Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area. Crown Court, EC2V Crown Court is one of the streets of London in the EC2V postal area. Deans Court, EC4V Deans Court is directly opposite the south west corner of St Paul’s Cathedral, on the south side of St Paul’s Churchyard. Dowgate Hill, EC4R Dowgate Hill is a continuation of Walbrook along the west side of Cannon Street Station, leading to Dowgate Dock. Foster Lane, EC2V Foster Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC2V postal area. Gutter Lane, EC2V Gutter Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC2V postal area. Honey Lane, EC2V Honey Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC2V postal area. King Street, EC2V King Street is one of the streets of London in the EC2V postal area. Knightrider Street, EC4V Knightrider Street was supposedly a route that knights would take from the Tower of London to Smithfield, where jousts were held. Lombard Court, EC3V Lombard Court is a small street between Gracechurch Street and Clements Lane in the heart of London’s financial district. Lothbury, EC2R Lothbury is one of the streets of London in the EC2R postal area. Martin Lane, EC4N Martin Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4R postal area. Milk Street, EC2V Milk Street is one of the streets of London in the EC2V postal area. Mitre Court, EC2V Mitre Court is one of the streets of London in the EC2V postal area. New Change, EC4M New Change is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area. Old Bailey, EC4M Old Bailey is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area. Old Jewry, EC2R Old Jewry is one of the streets of London in the EC2R postal area. Paul’s Walk, EC4V Paul’s Walk is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area. Poultry, EC2R Poultry is one of the streets of London in the EC2R postal area. Puddle Dock, EC4V Puddle Dock is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area. Queen Street, EC4N Queen Street is a street in the City of London which runs between Upper Thames Street at its southern end to Cheapside in the north. Queen Street, EC4R Queen Street is a street in the City of London which runs between Upper Thames Street and Cheapside. Queenhithe, EC4V Queenhithe is a small and ancient ward of the City of London, situated by the River Thames and a minor street. Rose Street, EC4M Rose Street is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area. Russia Row, EC2V Russia Row is one of the streets of London in the EC2V postal area. St Paul’s Churchyard, EC4M By the beginning of the sixteenth century, St. Paul’s Churchyard was the chief centre of the book trade, not only for London, but for the whole country. Stew Lane, EC4V Stew Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4V postal area. Swan Lane, EC4R Swan Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4R postal area. Throgmorton Street, EC3V The name of Throgmorton Street is a corruption of the name of Nicholas Throckmorton, Elizabeth I’s ambassador to France and Scotland.
Tokenhouse Yard, EC2R Tokenhouse Yard marked the site of the manufacturer of tokens that were used as the copper coinage of England before the reign of James I. Walbrook, EC4N Walbrook is one of the streets of London in the EC4N postal area. Well Court, EC4N Well Court is one of the streets of London in the EC4M postal area.
Queen’s Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
The north of Queen’s Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen’s Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen’s Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen’s Park ’proper’ formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen’s Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.
Queen’s Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett’s wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen’s Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queen’s Park are a conservation area.
There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.
Queen’s Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.
Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen’s Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen’s Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR.
Print-friendly version of this page