Parson Street, NW4

Road in/near Hendon, existing until now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  ·  MAPS  ·  STREETS  BLOG ()
(51.59272 -0.21997, 51.592 -0.219) 
MAP YEAR:175018001810182018301860190019502022Show map without markers
ZOOM:14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18
TIP: To create your own sharable map, right click on the map
Road · Hendon · NW4 ·
December
19
2019

Parson Street was already in existence by 1321.

Parson Street was the northward continuation of Brent Street - part of the medieval main route to the north of the parish of Hendon. It road led via Holders Hill to Bittacy Hill, at the top of which it became the Ridgeway, already called that by 1471.

It became the name of a distinct hamlet, still considered part of Hendon.

The oldest remaining building in this part of Hendon is now Hendon Hall, built in 1756 - later a hotel. It is believed that the famous actor David Garrick lived here. A small obelisk in the hotel garden dedicated to William Shakespeare and David Garrick originally stood in Manor Hall Road until 1957. In 1966 the England football team stayed at the hotel during the World Cup.

In the late 19th century nearby Tenterden Grove and Waverley Grove were laid out and several large houses built.


Main source: Parson Street (Hendon NW4) | Barnet Council
Further citations and sources


Click here to explore another London street
We now have 507 completed street histories and 46993 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS


CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY

None so far :(
LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT

Comment
Richard Lake   
Added: 28 Sep 2022 09:37 GMT   

Trade Union Official
John William Lake snr moved with his family to 22 De Laune Street in 1936. He was the London Branch Secretary for the Street Masons, Paviours and Road Makers Union. He had previously lived in Orange St now Copperfield St Southwark but had been forced to move because the landlord didn’t like him working from home and said it broke his lease.
John William snr died in 1940. His son John William Lake jnr also became a stone mason and at the end of World War two he was responsible for the engraving of the dates of WW2 onto the Cenotaph in Whitehall.

Reply
Lived here
Julie   
Added: 22 Sep 2022 18:30 GMT   

Well Walk, NW3 (1817 - 1818)
The home of Benthy, the Postman, with whom poet John Keats and his brother Tom lodged from early 1817 to Dec., 1818. They occupied the first floor up. Here Tom died Dec. 1, 1818. It was next door to the Welles Tavern then called ’The Green Man’."

From collected papers and photos re: No. 1 Well Walk at the library of Harvard University.

Source: No. 1, Well Walk, Hampstead. | HOLLIS for

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 4 Sep 2022 15:42 GMT   

Superman 2
I worked here in 1977. The scene in the prison laundry in Superman 2 was filmed here.

Reply

TUM   
Added: 27 Aug 2022 10:22 GMT   

The Underground Map
Michael Faraday successfully demonstrated the first electrical transformer at the Royal Institute, London.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 15:19 GMT   

Bus makes a leap
A number 78 double-decker bus driven by Albert Gunter was forced to jump an accidentally opening Tower Bridge.

He was awarded a £10 bonus.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:44 GMT   

The world’s first underground train
The very first underground train left Paddington on the new Metropolitan Railway bound for Farringdon Street.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:41 GMT   

Baker Street
Baker Street station opened on the Metropolitan Railway - the world’s first underground line.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:17 GMT   

TV comes to Olympia
Over 7000 people queued to see the first high definition television pictures on sets at the Olympia Radio Show. The pictures were transmitted by the BBC from Alexandra Palace, introduced by Leslie Mitchell, their first announcer.

Reply

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Hasmonean High School Hasmonean High School is a secondary school and sixth form with academy status for pupils from Orthodox Jewish families.
Hasmonean High School Hasmonean High School is a secondary school and sixth form with academy status for pupils from Orthodox Jewish families.
Hasmonean High School, NW8 Hasmonean High School is a secondary school and sixth form with academy status for pupils from Orthodox Jewish families.
St Mary’s Church, Hendon St Mary’s Church in Hendon may date back to the Anglo-Saxon period.
St Mary’s Churchyard St Mary’s Churchyard is also known as ’Hendon Churchyard’.

NEARBY STREETS
Aprey Gardens, NW4 Aprey Gardens is a street in Hendon.
Ashley Lane, NW4 Ashley Lane is divided into an official road and a track which is part of a nature reserve.
Babington Road, NW4 Babington Road is a street in Hendon.
Boltmore Close, NW4 Boltmore Close is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Boyne Avenue, NW4 Boyne Avenue is a street in Hendon.
Brinsdale Road, NW4 Brinsdale Road is a street in Hendon.
Cedars Close, NW4 Cedars Close is a street in Hendon.
Church End, NW4 Church End is the original centre of Hendon.
Church Road, NW4 Church Road is an original street in the village of Hendon and connected Brent Street with Church End.
Church Terrace, NW4 Church Terrace begins at Church End and ends in Sunny Hill Park.
Courtney House, NW4 Residential block
Downage, NW4 Downage is a road with an ancient name.
Edinburgh House, NW4 Residential block
Finchley Lane, NW4 Finchley Lane connects from Church End to Finchley.
First Avenue, NW4 First Avenue is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Florence Street, NW4 Florence Street is a street in Hendon.
Fuller Street, NW4 Fuller Street was built before 1874.
Garrick Drive, NW4 Garrick Drive is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Garrick Park, NW4 Garrick Park is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Glebe Crescent, NW4 Glebe Crescent is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Heading Street, NW4 Heading Street dated from 1874.
Hillview Gardens, NW4 Hillview Gardens is a street in Hendon.
Holders Hill Avenue, NW4 Holders Hill Avenue is a street in Hendon.
Holders Hill Crescent, NW4 Holders Hill Crescent is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Holders Hill Drive, N3 Holders Hill Drive is a road in the N3 postcode area
Johns Avenue, NW4 Johns Avenue is a street in Hendon.
Linfield Close, NW4 Linfield Close is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Links Green, NW4 Links Green is a road in the E4 postcode area
Lodge Road, NW4 Lodge Road is a street in Hendon.
Meadow Drive, NW4 Meadow Drive is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Mills Grove, NW4 Mills Grove is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Mulberry Close, NW4 Mulberry Close is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Nursery Walk, NW4 Nursery Walk is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Prince of Wales Close, NW4 Prince of Wales Close inherited the name of the former Prince of Wales Road, situated on the same spot.
Prince of Wales Road, NW4 Prince of Wales Road is a former road of Hendon.
Ravenshurst Avenue, NW4 Ravenshurst Avenue is a street in Hendon.
Ridge Close, NW4 Ridge Close is a street in Hendon.
Robin Lane, NW4 Robin Lane is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Rowsley Avenue, NW4 Rowsley Avenue is a street in Hendon.
Second Avenue, NW4 Second Avenue is a street in Hendon.
Sherwood Road, NW4 Sherwood Road is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Studio Mews, NW4 Studio Mews is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Sunningfields Crescent, NW4 Sunningfields Crescent lies within the vicinity of Sunny Hill Park.
Sunningfields Road, NW4 Sunningfields Road is a street in Hendon.
Sunny Gardens Parade, NW4 Sunny Gardens Parade is a street in Hendon.
Sunny Gardens Road, NW4 Sunny Gardens Road leads north out of Hendon.
Sunny Place, NW4 Sunny Place is a street in Hendon.
Sutton Parade, NW4 Sutton Parade is a street in Hendon.
Tenterden Close, NW4 Tentendon Close is a small cul-de-sac off of Tenterden Grove in Hendon.
Tenterden Close, NW4 Tenterden Close is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Tenterden Drive, NW4 Tenterden Drive is a street in Hendon.
Tenterden Gardens, NW4 Tenterden Gardens is a street in Hendon.
Tenterden Grove, NW4 Tenterden Grove was laid out by a Mr Somerville in 1863.
The Garage, NW4 The Garage is a street in Hendon.
Thornbury, NW4 Thornbury is a residential block in Church End, Hendon.
Westchester Drive, NW4 Westchester Drive is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Westhorpe Gardens, NW4 Westhorpe Gardens is a street in Hendon.

NEARBY PUBS
The Claddagh Ring This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Greyhound The Greyhound Inn is a traditional pub and is part of the old village of Hendon.


Click here to explore another London street
We now have 507 completed street histories and 46993 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS


Hendon

Hendon railway station is a National Rail station situated to the west of Hendon, in the London Borough of Barnet.

The station was built by the Midland Railway in 1868 on its extension to St. Pancras. From 1875 the Midland opened a service to Victoria on the London, Chatham and Dover Railway and received coaches from the London and South Western Railway for attachment to north-bound trains.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Click here to see map view of nearby Creative Commons images
Click here to see Creative Commons images near to this postcode
Click here to see Creative Commons images tagged with this road (if applicable)
The site of Hendon Central station (1896) The future site of the 1920s Hendon Central station (at the red marker) was anticipated on the late nineteenth century Ordnance Survey map of the area. Butcher’s Lane, later to be Queen’s Road, headed west out of Hendon proper and made a sharp northward turn towards The Burroughs on the later site of Hendon Central Circus. The site is marked with GP (Guide Post) where a sign post pointed the way. Goosebury Gardens, at the bottom of the map, was located north of what became Brent Cross Flyover. The lane which ran north all the way The Burroughs became the route of Watford Way. The North Circular Road, Watford Way and the new Hendon Central station were all part of a coordinated 1920s scheme, transforming the area completely.
Credit: Ordnance Survey
TUM image id: 1656756550
Licence:

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
St Marylebone Electricity Generating Station This was built in 1905 and located at the corner of Richmond Street (later Orchardson Street) and Fisherton Street
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Heals, 196 Tottenham Court Road (1855) This building, which had just been completed then, has long gone. Heals, as a business, remained
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Print-friendly version of this page

  Contact us · Copyright policy · Privacy policy