Pavilion Road is one of the streets of London in the SW1X postal area.
Belgravia Belgravia is an affluent area of Westminster, north of Victoria Station. Blandel Bridge The bridge over the Westbourne at Sloane Square was called Blandel Bridge and was later renamed Grosvenor Bridge. Halkin Hotel The Halkin (styled as The Halkin by COMO) is a 5-star hotel. Beauchamp Place, SW3 Beauchamp Place was also the name of a 16th-century mansion of the Seymour family. Belgrave Square, SW1X Thomas Cubitt’s greatest achievement, Belgrave Square, is the grandest and largest of his squares, and is the centrepiece of Belgravia. Cadogan Place, SW1X Cadogan Place was named after Earl Cadogan and runs parallel to the lower half of Sloane Street. Cadogan Square, SW1X Cadogan Square was built between 1877 and 1888, largely on the grounds of the Prince’s Club. Chester Row, SW1W Chester Row with its tall stucco houses lies at the heart of the district of Belgravia. Cheval Place, SW7 Cheval Place is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Clabon Mews, SW1X Clabon Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW1X postal area. Eaton Gate, SW1W Eaton Gate is one of the streets of London in the SW1W postal area. First Street, SW3 First Street is one of the streets of London in the SW3 postal area. Glynde Mews, SW3 Glynde Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW3 postal area. Hans Crescent, SW1X Hans Crescent forms part of an area informally called Hans Town which dates back to the 18th century. Hans Place, SW1X Hans Place, a square, is named after Sir Hans Sloane, physician and collector, whose bequest became the foundation of the British Museum. Hans Street, SW1X Hans Street is one of the streets of London in the SW1X postal area. Ives Street, SW3 Ives Street is one of the streets of London in the SW3 postal area. Kinnerton Street, SW1X Kinnerton Street - a small winding street - was originally the service road for Wilton Place and Wilton Crescent. Montpelier Square, SW7 Montpelier Square is an upmarket residential garden square located in the Knightsbridge area. Pont Street, SW1X Pont Street is a fashionable street in Knightsbridge/Belgravia, not far from the Knightsbridge department store Harrods to the north-west. Relton Mews, SW7 Relton Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Sloane Street, SW1X Sloane Street runs north to south, from Knightsbridge to Sloane Square, taking its name from Sir Hans Sloane, who purchased the surrounding area in 1712. Yeomans Row, SW3 Yeomans Row is one of the streets of London in the SW3 postal area.
Chelsea is an affluent area, bounded to the south by the River Thames.
Its eastern boundary was once defined by the River Westbourne, which is now in a pipe above Sloane Square tube station. The modern eastern boundary is Chelsea Bridge Road and the lower half of Sloane Street
, including Sloane Square, along with parts of Belgravia. To the north and northwest, the area fades into Knightsbridge and South Kensington, but it is safe to say that the area north of King’s Road as far northwest as Fulham Road is part of Chelsea.
The word Chelsea originates from the Old English term for chalk
and landing place on the river
. The first record of the Manor of Chelsea precedes the Domesday Book and records the fact that Thurstan, governor of the King’s Palace during the reign of Edward the Confessor (1042–1066), gave the land to the Abbot and Convent of Westminster. Abbot Gervace subsequently assigned the manor to his mother, and it passed into private ownership. The modern-day Chelsea hosted the Synod of Chelsea in 787 AD.
Chelsea once had a reputation for the manufacture of Chelsea buns (made from a long strip of sweet dough tightly coiled, with currants trapped between the layers, and topped with sugar).
King Henry VIII acquired the manor of Chelsea from Lord Sandys in 1536; Chelsea Manor Street is still extant. Two of King Henry’s wives, Catherine Parr and Anne of Cleves, lived in the Manor House; Princess Elizabeth – the future Queen Elizabeth I – resided there; and Thomas More lived more or less next door at Beaufort House. In 1609 James I established a theological college on the site of the future Chelsea Royal Hospital, which Charles II founded in 1682.
By 1694, Chelsea – always a popular location for the wealthy, and once described as ’a village of palaces’ – had a population of 3000. Even so, Chelsea remained rural and served London to the east as a market garden, a trade that continued until the 19th-century development boom which caused the final absorption of the district into the metropolis.
Chelsea shone, brightly but briefly, in the 1960s Swinging London period and the early 1970s. The Swinging Sixties was defined on King’s Road, which runs the length of the area. The Western end of Chelsea featured boutiques Granny Takes a Trip and The Sweet Shop, the latter of which sold medieval silk velvet caftans, tabards and floor cushions, with many of the cultural cognoscenti of the time being customers, including Keith Richards, Twiggy and many others.
The exclusivity of Chelsea as a result of its high property prices has historically resulted in the term Sloane Ranger to be used to describe its residents. From 2011, Channel 4 broadcast a reality television show called Made in Chelsea
, documenting the ’glitzy’ lives of several young people living in Chelsea. Moreover, Chelsea is home to one of the largest communities of Americans living outside of the United States, with 6.53% of Chelsea-residents being born in the United States.