Wood Lane

Underground station, existing between 2008 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.50997 -0.2241, 51.509 -0.224) 

Wood Lane

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Underground station · Shepherds Bush · W12 ·
October
13
2015

Although Wood Lane is on an Underground Line which has been in operation since 1864, the station is newer.

In 1908 the Franco-British Exhibition and the 1908 Summer Olympics came to London, the first of a number of major events in White City that attracted infrastructural investment by railway companies. Among others, the Metropolitan Railway opened its Wood Lane station on the Hammersmith branch to serve the event. The station opened and closed intermittently, and was renamed twice, to Wood Lane (White City) in 1920 and White City in 1947, before it closed in 1959 following fire damage.

In 2005 work commenced on the large-scale Westfield Shopping Centre. As part of the work, improvements were made to public transport including rebuilding Shepherd’s Bush Central line station, a new Shepherd’s Bush railway station and two bus interchanges. It was decided to build a new station on the Hammersmith & City line, just south-west of the old Metropolitan station on Wood Lane. In 2006 Transport for London decided on the name Wood Lane, reviving a historical name. This was the first time that a new station on the Tube had been given the name of a former station.

The station is close to the former BBC Television Centre and Loftus Road stadium is also nearby.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence


London Underground poster (1920)

London Underground poster (1920)
User unknown/public domain

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Blue Peter Garden The original garden, adjacent to Television Centre, was designed by Percy Thrower in 1974.
Dimco Buildings The Dimco Buildings housed the earliest (extant) example of an electricity generating station built for the London Underground.
Franco-British Exhibition In 1908, the Franco-British Exhibition was constructed over a 140-acre site at White City in London.
Kenilworth Castle The Kenilworth Castle was a post-war pub in Notting Dale.
Loftus Road stadium Loftus Road Stadium is a football stadium in Shepherd’s Bush and home to Queens Park Rangers.
Television Centre Television Centre is a complex in White City that was the headquarters of BBC Television between 1960 and 2013.
White City bus station White City bus station serves the Westfield London shopping centre.
White City Place White City Place is a collection of buildings previously known as BBC Media Village.
White City Stadium White City Stadium was built for the 1908 Summer Olympics, and hosted the finish of the first modern marathon.
Wood Lane (1914) Wood Lane - apparently London’s "go-to" station.
Wood Lane cottages (1890) Old cottages in Wood Lane, c. 1890.

THE STREETS OF WOOD LANE
Macfarlane Place, W12 Macfarlane Place - a road with two lifetimes.


Shepherds Bush

Shepherd's Bush is an area of west London in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham.

Although it is primarily residential in character, its focus is the shopping area of Shepherd's Bush Green, with the Westfield shopping centre lying a short distance to the north. The main thoroughfares are Uxbridge Road, Goldhawk Road and Askew Road, all containing a large number of small and mostly independent shops, pubs and restaurants. The Loftus Road football stadium in Shepherd's Bush is home to Queens Park Rangers F.C.. In 2011, the population of the area was 39,724.

The district is bounded by Hammersmith to the south, Holland Park and Notting Hill to the east, Harlesden to the north and by Acton and Chiswick to the west. White City forms the northern part of Shepherd's Bush. Shepherd's Bush comprises the Shepherd's Bush Green, Askew, and White City wards.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Coronation street party, 1953.
TUM image id: 1545250697
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Shepherd's Bush Market in the 1950s
TUM image id: 1483010924
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Bassett Road, W10
TUM image id: 1563717408
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Martin Street, looking west (1960s)
TUM image id: 1604228974
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Ansleigh Place, W11
TUM image id: 1453967815
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Kenilworth Castle
TUM image id: 1453901412
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Bangor Street after a Rag Fair (1900s)
TUM image id: 1453972124
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
Percy Thrower and John Noakes in the Blue Peter Garden, 1975
Credit: BBC
TUM image id: 1527783044
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Shepherd's Bush Market in the 1950s
TUM image id: 1483010924
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Local resident 'Trevor' who grew tomatoes in compost made from Frestonian residents' waste.
TUM image id: 1455723675
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Martin Street, looking west (1960s)
TUM image id: 1604228974
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Wood Lane station, c.1914
TUM image id: 1502717800
Licence: CC BY 2.0
White City Close
Credit: GoArt/The Underground Map
TUM image id: 1563739473
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Latimer Road as featured in the film ’The Blue Lamp’ (1950). Just past the tall (out-of-sight) Latimer Road school building and printers was the patent steam carpet cleaners as is Bramley Road’s Bramley Arms with Latimer Road School further on down through the arches on the right.
Credit: Ealing Studios
TUM image id: 1603095987
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Wood Lane station, MacFarlane Place entrance (1937)
TUM image id: 1583967887
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Print-friendly version of this page