Pepys Street, EC3N
Road in/near Tower Hill, existing between 1923 and now
Print-friendly version of this page
Pepys Street links Seething Lane
in the west to Cooper’s Row in the east.
When the Port of London Authority Building was built in 1923, Colchester Street
was extended to Seething Lane
and renamed after the diarist Samuel Pepys, who lived in the street during the Great Fire of London.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
29 Aldgate High Street 29 Aldgate High Street is a demolished property, originally on the north side of Aldgate High Street.. 46 Aldgate High Street This Grade II Listed office building is one of the few timber-framed buildings in the City that predates the Great Fire of 1666. Aldgate Aldgate was one of the massive gates which defended the City from Roman times until 1760. Aldgate Holy Trinity Priory The Holy Trinity Priory, also known as Christchurch Aldgate, was a priory of Austin canons (Black Canons) founded around 1108 by Queen Matilda of England. Aldgate Pump Aldgate Pump is a historic water pump, located at the junction where Aldgate meets Fenchurch Street and Leadenhall Street. All Hallows Staining All Hallows Staining was a church located at the junction of Mark Lane and Dunster Court. Eastminster Eastminster (The Abbey of St. Mary de Graces) was a Cistercian abbey on Tower Hill and founded by Edward III in 1350. Goodman’s Fields Theatre Two 18th century theatres bearing the name Goodman’s Fields Theatre were located on Alie Street, Whitechapel. Great Synagogue of London The Great Synagogue of London was, for centuries, the centre of Ashkenazi synagogue and Jewish life in London. It was destroyed during World War II, in the Blitz. Holy Trinity, Minories Holy Trinity, Minories was a Church of England parish church outside the eastern boundaries of the City of London, but within the Liberties of the Tower of London. London Metal Exchange The London Metal Exchange (LME) is the futures exchange with the world’s largest market in options and futures contracts on base and other metals. Mark Lane station Mark Lane is a disused Circle and District line Underground station. Portsoken Portsoken is one of 25 wards in the City of London, each electing an alderman to the Court of Aldermen and commoners (the City equivalent of a councillor) elected to the Court of Common Council of the City of London Corporation. St Botolph’s St. Botolph’s without Aldgate, located on Aldgate High Street, has existed for over a thousand years. St Gabriel Fenchurch St Gabriel Fenchurch (or Fen Church) was a parish church in the City of London, destroyed in the Great Fire and not rebuilt. St James Duke’s Place St James Duke’s Place was an Anglican parish church in the Aldgate ward of the City of London. St Katharine Cree St Katharine Cree is a Church of England church on the north side of Leadenhall Street near Leadenhall Market.
St Magnus-the-Martyr St Magnus the Martyr church is dedicated to St Magnus the Martyr, earl of Orkney, who died on 16 April 1116. St Mary Axe St Mary Axe was a mediaeval church situated just north of Leadenhall Street on a site now occupied by Fitzwilliam House. St Olave Hart Street St Olave’s Church is a Church of England church located on the corner of Hart Street and Seething Lane. St. Mary Axe St Mary Axe was a medieval parish in the City of London whose name survives as that of the street which formerly occupied it. Tower of London The Tower of London is a historic castle located on the north bank of the River Thames and lies within the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. Aldgate High Street, EC3N Once the route to one of the six original gates of the Wall of London, Aldgate High Street has an important place in medieval London’s history. Aldgate, EC3N Aldgate was the easternmost gateway through the London Wall leading from the City of London to Whitechapel and the East End. Alie Street, E1 Originally called Ayliff Street, Alie Street was named after a relative of William Leman, whose great-uncle, John Leman had bought Goodman’s Fields. America Square, EC3N America Square is a street and small square, built in about 1760 and dedicated to the American colonies. Ball Court, EC3V Ball Court is one of the streets of London in the EC3V postal area. Beer Lane, EC3R Beer Lane ran from the east end of Great Tower Street to Lower Thames Street. Bishopsgate, EC2N Bishopsgate is named after one of the original eight gates in the London Wall. Braham Street, E1 Braham Street is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Bury Street, EC3A Bury Street is one of the streets of London in the EC3A postal area. Colchester Street, EC3N Before its was renamed and extended in 1923, Colchester Street was a side street near to the Tower of London. Coopers Row, EC3N Coopers Row is one of the streets of London in the EC3N postal area. Cornhill, EC3V Cornhill is one of the streets of London in the EC3V postal area. Crescent, EC3N Crescent is one of the streets of London in the EC3N postal area. Cresent, EC3N Cresent is one of the streets of London in the EC3N postal area. Eastcheap, EC3M Eastcheap is one of the streets of London in the EC3M postal area. Finch Lane, EC3V Finch Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC3V postal area. George Yard, EC3V George Yard is one of the streets of London in the EC3V postal area. Gracechurch Street, EC3V Gracechurch Street is in the heart of Roman Londinium - it runs directly over the site of the basilica and forum. Great Tower Street, EC3R Great Tower Street, originally known just as Tower Street, forms an eastern continuation of Eastcheap. Harp Lane, EC3R Harp Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC3R postal area. Hart Street, EC3R Hart Street is one of the streets of London in the EC3R postal area. Idol Lane, EC3R Idol Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC3R postal area. Lime Street, EC3M Lime Street is one of the streets of London in the EC3M postal area. Lovat Lane, EC3R Lovat Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC3R postal area. Mark Lane, EC3R Mark Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC3R postal area. Minories, EC3N Minories is one of the old streets of the City of London. Mitre Avenue, E17 Mitre Avenue is one of the streets of London in the E17 postal area. Petty Wales, EC3N Petty Wales is one of the streets of London in the EC3N postal area. Plantation Place Plantation Place takes its name from a previous Plantation House, once the recognised centre of the tea trade. Rood Lane, EC3M Rood Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC3M postal area. Royal Court, EC3V Royal Court is one of the streets of London in the EC3V postal area. Savage Gardens, EC3N Savage Gardens connects Crutched Friars in the north to Trinity Square in the south, crossing Pepys Street. St James’s Place, EC3A St James Place was an open square, formerly Broad Court, which held a daily market that sold fruits of various kinds. Staple Hall, EC3A Staple Hall is one of the streets of London in the EC3A postal area. Talbot Court, EC3V Talbot Court was next to the Talbot Inn until the Great Fire of London. Tower Bridge, E1W Tower Bridge is one of the streets of London in the E1W postal area. Tower Hill, EC3N Tower Hill is a street and square, northwest of the Tower of London. Tower Place, EC3R Tower Place is one of the streets of London in the EC3R postal area. Tower Walk, E1W Tower Walk is one of the streets of London in the E1W postal area. Undershaft, EC2N Undershaft is one of the streets of London in the EC2N postal area. Undershaft, EC3A Undershaft is one of the streets of London in the EC3A postal area. Vine Street, EC3N Vine Street is one of the streets of London in the EC3N postal area.
Tower Hill is an elevated spot outside the Tower of London and just outside the limits of the City of London.
Formerly Tower Hill
was part of the Tower Liberty under the direct administrative control of Tower. Part of one of the oldest parts of London, archaeological evidence shows that there was a settlement on the hill in the Bronze Age and much later a Roman village that was burnt down during the Boudica uprising.
A nearby church, All Hallows-by-the-Tower, is known for fragments of Romanesque architecture dating back to AD 680.
Public executions of high-profile traitors and criminals were often carried out on Tower Hill
Tower of London tube station opened in 1882 during the construction of the Metropolitan Railway to the north. A new station was opened in 1884 with the name Mark Lane
(later renamed Tower Hill
), just to the west of the Tower of London station, which closed the same day.
When the original Tower Hill
station was itself closed in 1967, the current Tower Hill
station was opened on the site of the Tower of London station. The remains of the old station were demolished by the construction of the new station.