Print-friendly version of this page
Philpot Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC3M postal area.
Aldgate Holy Trinity Priory The Holy Trinity Priory, also known as Christchurch Aldgate, was a priory of Austin canons (Black Canons) founded around 1108 by Queen Matilda of England. Aldgate Pump Aldgate Pump is a historic water pump, located at the junction where Aldgate meets Fenchurch Street and Leadenhall Street. All Hallows Staining All Hallows Staining was a church located at the junction of Mark Lane and Dunster Court. Bank of England The Bank of England is the central bank of the United Kingdom. Great Synagogue of London The Great Synagogue of London was, for centuries, the centre of Ashkenazi synagogue and Jewish life in London. It was destroyed during World War II, in the Blitz. London (1926) In 1926 Claude Friese-Greene shot some of the first-ever colour film footage around London, capturing everyday life. London Metal Exchange The London Metal Exchange (LME) is the futures exchange with the world’s largest market in options and futures contracts on base and other metals. Mark Lane station Mark Lane is a disused Circle and District line Underground station. St Augustine Papey St Augustine Papey was a mediaeval church in the City of London situated just south of London Wall. St Benet Sherehog St Benet Sherehog was a medieval parish church built before the year 1111 in Cordwainer Ward, in what was then the wool-dealing district. St Botolph’s St. Botolph’s without Aldgate, located on Aldgate High Street, has existed for over a thousand years. St Gabriel Fenchurch St Gabriel Fenchurch (or Fen Church) was a parish church in the City of London, destroyed in the Great Fire and not rebuilt. St James Duke’s Place St James Duke’s Place was an Anglican parish church in the Aldgate ward of the City of London. St Katharine Cree St Katharine Cree is a Church of England church on the north side of Leadenhall Street near Leadenhall Market.
St Magnus-the-Martyr St Magnus the Martyr church is dedicated to St Magnus the Martyr, earl of Orkney, who died on 16 April 1116. St Martin Pomary St Martin Pomeroy was a parish church in the Cheap ward of the City of London. St Mary Axe St Mary Axe was a mediaeval church situated just north of Leadenhall Street on a site now occupied by Fitzwilliam House. St Mary Colechurch St Mary Colechurch was a parish church in the City of London destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666 and not rebuilt. St Olave Hart Street St Olave’s Church is a Church of England church located on the corner of Hart Street and Seething Lane. St. Mary Axe St Mary Axe was a medieval parish in the City of London whose name survives as that of the street which formerly occupied it. Steelyard The Steelyard was the main trading base (kontor) of the Hanseatic League in London during 15th and 16th centuries. Walbrook Wharf Walbrook Wharf is an operating freight wharf located in the City of London adjacent to Cannon Street station. Abchurch Yard, EC4N First mentioned in 1732, Abchurch Yard was built on the St Mary Abchurch churchyard. Adelaide House, EC3R Adelaide House is a Grade II listed Art Deco office building in the City of London. Aldgate, EC3N Aldgate was the easternmost gateway through the London Wall leading from the City of London to Whitechapel and the East End. Ball Court, EC3V Ball Court is one of the streets of London in the EC3V postal area. Bartholomew Lane, EC2N Bartholomew Lane runs between the junction of Lothbury and Throgmorton Street in the north to Threadneedle Street in the south. Beer Lane, EC3R Beer Lane ran from the east end of Great Tower Street to Lower Thames Street. Bevis Marks, EC3A Bevis Marks is a short street in the ward of Aldgate in the City of London. Bishopsgate, EC2N Bishopsgate is named after one of the original eight gates in the London Wall. Budge Row, EC4N Budge Row lies off the north side of Cannon Street, about 80 yards west of the main line station. Bury Street, EC3A Bury Street is one of the streets of London in the EC3A postal area. Bush Lane, EC4R Bush Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4R postal area. Cannon Street, EC4N Cannon Street runs nearly parallel with the River Thames, about 250 metres north of it, in the south of the City of London. Capel Court, EC2R On the east side of the Bank of England turn into Bartholomew Lane. Capel Court is off to the east. Change Alley, EC3V Change Alley is a thoroughfare between Lombard Street and Cornhill in London’s financial district. Colchester Street, EC3N Before its was renamed and extended in 1923, Colchester Street was a side street near to the Tower of London. Coopers Row, EC3N Coopers Row is one of the streets of London in the EC3N postal area. Cornhill, EC3V Cornhill is one of the streets of London in the EC3V postal area. Cousin Lane, EC4R Cousin Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4R postal area. Dowgate Hill, EC4R Dowgate Hill is a continuation of Walbrook along the west side of Cannon Street Station, leading to Dowgate Dock. Eastcheap, EC3M Eastcheap is one of the streets of London in the EC3M postal area. Finch Lane, EC3V Finch Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC3V postal area. George Yard, EC3V George Yard is one of the streets of London in the EC3V postal area. Gracechurch Street, EC3V Gracechurch Street is in the heart of Roman Londinium - it runs directly over the site of the basilica and forum. Great Tower Street, EC3R Great Tower Street, originally known just as Tower Street, forms an eastern continuation of Eastcheap. Harp Lane, EC3R Harp Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC3R postal area. Hart Street, EC3R Hart Street is one of the streets of London in the EC3R postal area. Idol Lane, EC3R Idol Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC3R postal area. Lime Street, EC3M Lime Street is one of the streets of London in the EC3M postal area. Lombard Court, EC3V Lombard Court is a small street between Gracechurch Street and Clements Lane in the heart of London’s financial district. Lothbury, EC2R Lothbury is one of the streets of London in the EC2R postal area. Lovat Lane, EC3R Lovat Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC3R postal area. Mark Lane, EC3R Mark Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC3R postal area. Martin Lane, EC4R Martin Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4R postal area. Mitre Avenue, E17 Mitre Avenue is one of the streets of London in the E17 postal area. Old Jewry, EC2R Old Jewry is one of the streets of London in the EC2R postal area. Pepys Street, EC3N Pepys Street links Seething Lane in the west to Cooper’s Row in the east. Petty Wales, EC3N Petty Wales is one of the streets of London in the EC3N postal area. Plantation Place Plantation Place takes its name from a previous Plantation House, once the recognised centre of the tea trade. Poultry, EC2R Poultry is one of the streets of London in the EC2R postal area. Rood Lane, EC3M Rood Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC3M postal area. Royal Court, EC3V Royal Court is one of the streets of London in the EC3V postal area. Savage Gardens, EC3N Savage Gardens connects Crutched Friars in the north to Trinity Square in the south, crossing Pepys Street. St James’s Place, EC3A St James Place was an open square, formerly Broad Court, which held a daily market that sold fruits of various kinds. St Mary Axe, EC3A St Mary Axe is one of the streets of London in the EC3A postal area. Staple Hall, EC3A Staple Hall is one of the streets of London in the EC3A postal area. Swan Lane, EC4R Swan Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC4R postal area. Talbot Court, EC3V Talbot Court was next to the Talbot Inn until the Great Fire of London. Throgmorton Street, EC3V The name of Throgmorton Street is a corruption of the name of Nicholas Throckmorton, Elizabeth I’s ambassador to France and Scotland.
Tower Hill, EC3N Tower Hill is a street and square, northwest of the Tower of London. Tower Place, EC3R Tower Place is one of the streets of London in the EC3R postal area. Undershaft, EC2N Undershaft is one of the streets of London in the EC2N postal area. Undershaft, EC3A Undershaft is one of the streets of London in the EC3A postal area. Vine Street, EC3N Vine Street is one of the streets of London in the EC3N postal area. Walbrook, EC4N Walbrook is one of the streets of London in the EC4N postal area.
Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.
Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.
There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.
Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.
Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.