Marylebone - so good they named it once but pronounced it seven different ways.
Portman Square is a square, part of the Portman Estate, located at the western end of Wigmore Street
, which connects it to Cavendish Square
to its east.
It was built between 1765 and 1784 on land belonging to Henry William Portman. It included residences of Alexander Hamilton, 10th Duke of Hamilton, Sir Brook Bridges, 3rd Baronet, Henry Pelham-Clinton, 4th Duke of Newcastle-under-Lyne, George Keppel, 6th Earl of Albemarle, Sir Charles Asgill, 1st Baronet and William Henry Percy. Alexander Duff, 1st Duke of Fife maintained his London residence at No. 15 Portman Square.
at the northwest corner was built by James Stuart for Mrs. Elizabeth Montagu. She used to give a roast beef and plum pudding dinner for chimney-sweeps and their apprentices on Mayday. One of them, David Porter, grew up to be a builder and named Montagu square in her honour.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
User unknown/public domain
Marylebone is an area in the City of Westminster North of Oxford Street
and South of Regents Park
. Edgware Road
forms the Western boundary. Portland Place
forms the eastern boundary with the area known as Fitzrovia.
Marylebone gets its name from a church, called St Mary's
, that was built on the bank of a small stream or bourne
called the Tyburn. The church and the surrounding area later became known as St Mary at the bourne
, which over time became shortened to its present form Marylebone.
Today the area is mostly residential with a stylish High Street. It is also notable for its Arab population on its far western border around Edgware Road
Marylebone station, opened in 1899, is the youngest of London's mainline terminal stations, and also one of the smallest, having opened with half the number of platforms originally planned.
Originally the London terminus of the ill-fated Great Central Main Line, it now serves as the terminus of the Chiltern Main Line route.
The underground station is served by the Bakerloo Line, opening on 27 March 1907 by the Baker Street
and Waterloo Railway under the name Great Central (following a change from the originally-intended name Lisson Grove
). It was renamed Marylebone in 1917.