Powis Mews is a street in Notting Hill.
Absalom Road, W10 Absalom Road was the former name for the western section of Golborne Gardens. Acklam Road, W10 Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the Westway. Adair Road, W10 Adair Road is a street on the Kensal Town/North Kensington borders. Addison Avenue, W11 Addison Avenue runs north from Holland Park Avenue and was originally called Addison Road North. Addison Place, W11 In the nineteenth century, Addison Place was known by two names - Phoenix Place and Crescent Mews East. Addison Road, W14 Addison Road stretches from Holland Park Avenue to Kensington High Street. Airlie Gardens, W8 Airlie Gardens is named after the 5th Earl of Airlie (1826-1881), who lived on nearby Campden Hill at Holly Lodge. Alexander Street, W2 Alexander Street was built in 1853 by Alexander Hall of Watergate House, Sussex. Alfred Road, W2 Alfred Road is the last survivor of a set of Victorian streets. All Saints Road, W11 Built between 1852-61, All Saints Road is named after All Saints Church on Talbot Road. Alperton Street, W10 Alperton Street is the first alphabetically named street in the Queen’s Park Estate, W10. Amberley Mews, W9 Amberley Mews starred as Tom Riley’s home in the 1950 movie "The Blue Lamp". Appleford Road, W10 Appleford Road was transformed post-war from a Victorian street to one dominated by housing blocks. Ariel Way, W12 Ariel Way connects White City bus station with Shephard’s Bush. Arundel Gardens, W11 Arundel Gardens was built towards the end of the development of the Ladbroke Estate, in the early 1860s. Aubrey Road, W8 Aubrey Road leads into Aubrey Walk, which runs west of Campden Hill Road at the top of Campden Hill. It was named in the 1840s. Aubrey Walk, W8 Aubrey Walk runs west of Campden Hill Road at the top of Campden Hill. Avondale Park Gardens, W11 Avondale Park Gardens, unlike other roads in the area, was developed in the 1920s when it was laid out on the former workhouse site. Bangor Street, W11 Bangor Street, W11 was situated on the site of the modern Henry Dickens Court. Banister Road, W10 Banister Road just scrapes being classed as belonging to the Queen's Park Estate. Bard Road, W10 Bard Road lies in the area of London W10 near to Latimer Road station. Bayswater Road, W2 Bayswater Road is the main road running along the northern edge of Hyde Park. Berkeley Gardens, W8 Berkeley Gardens is a short street which runs between Brunswick Gardens and Kensington Church Street containing terraced houses on both sides with small front gardens. Blake Close, W10 Blake Close is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Blenheim Crescent, W11 Blenheim Crescent one of the major thoroughfares in Notting Hill - indeed it features in the eponymous film. Bomore Road, W11 Bomore Road survived post-war redevelopment with a slight change in alignment. Bosworth Road, W10 Bosworth Road was the first street built as Kensal New Town started to expand to the east. Bourne Terrace, W2 Bourne Terrace is part of the Warwick Estate in Paddington and has 38 properties. Boxmoor Street, W11 Boxmoor Street was also known as Henry Place and Beaumont Street during its brief life. Bramley Mews, W10 Bramley Mews become part of a redelevopment of the area north of Latimer Road station in the 1960s. Bramley Road, W10 Bramley Road is the street in which Latimer Road station is situated. Bruce Close, W10 Bruce Close replaced the earlier Rackham Street in this part of W10. Brunel Mews, W10 Brunel Mews, a tiny cul-de-sac, is the northern extension of Sixth Avenue. Brunswick Gardens, W8 Brunswick Gardens runs north from Vicarage Gate - a wide tree-lined road with white stuccoed terraces on either side. Callcott Street, W8 Callcott Street is a small street between Uxbridge Street and Hillgate Place. Calverley Street, W10 Calverley Street, one of the lost streets of W10 is now underneath a motorway slip road. Campden Grove, W8 Campden Grove runs between Kensington Church Street and Hornton Street.
Campden Hill Close, W8 Campden Hill Close is a small cul-de-sac entered by a narrow driveway off Hornton Street. Campden Street, W8 Campden Street stretches between Campden Hill Road and Kensington Church Street. Canal Way, W10 Canal Way was built on the site of the Kensal Gas Works. Chepstow Place, W2 Chepstow Place runs from the junction of Westbourne Grove and Pembridge Villas in the north to Pembridge Square in the south. Clarendon Road, W11 Clarendon Road is one of the W11’s longest streets, running from Holland Park Avenue in the south to Dulford Street in the north. Codrington Mews, W11 This attractive L-shaped mews lies off Blenheim Crescent between Kensington Park Road and Ladbroke Grove. Colville Gardens, W11 Colville Gardens was laid out in the 1870s by the builder George Frederick Tippett, who developed much of the rest of the neighbourhood. Cornwall Crescent, W11 Cornwall Crescent belongs to the third and final period of building on the Ladbroke estate. Cornwall Road, W11 Cornwall Road was once the name for the westernmost part of Westbourne Park Road. Craven Road, W2 The Earl of Craven owned the land on which the road was later built. Dalgarno Way, W10 Dalgarno Way is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Darfield Way, W10 Darfield Way, in the Latimer Road area, was built over a number of older streets as the Westway was built. Darfield Way, W10 Darfield Way is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Dart Street, W10 Dart Street runs eastwards from Third Avenue and becomes Marban Road. Droop Street, W10 Droop Street is one of the main east-west streets of the Queen’s Park Estate. Duchess of Bedford’s Walk, W8 Lady Georgiana Russell, wife of John Russell, 6th Duke of Bedford lived at Argyll Lodge, a former house on Campden Hill, near the location of the road. East Mews, W10 East Mews was lost when the Westway was built. It lies partially under the modern Darfield Way. East Row, W10 East Row is a road with a long history within Kensal Town. Edenham Way, W10 Edenham Way is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Elgin Crescent, W11 Elgin Crescent runs from Portobello Road west across Ladbroke Grove and then curls round to the south to join Clarendon Road. Elms Lane, W2 Elms Lane in Bayswater was situated on the west bank of the Westbourne stream. Faraday Road, W10 Faraday Road is one of the ’scientist’ roadnames of North Kensington. Farrant Street, W10 Farrant Street is the missing link in the alphabetti spaghetti of the streetnames of the Queen’s Park Estate Frog Island, W12 Frog Island was the name of a lane leading north from the Uxbridge Road. Golborne Road, W10 Golborne Road, heart of North Kensington, was named after Dean Golbourne, at one time vicar of St. John’s Church in Paddington. Goldney Road, W9 Goldney Road was built around 1860 on land which was once the property of Westminster Abbey. Great Western Road, W9 Great Western Road’s northernmost section was created after a bridge was constructed over the canal. Hansel Road, NW6 Hansel Road is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area. Harrow Road, W2 Harrow Road is one of the main arterial roads of London, leading northwest out of the capital. Harrow Road, W9 Harrow Road is a main road running through Paddington, Willesden and beyond. Hewer Street, W10 Built as part of the St Charles’ estate in the 1870s, it originally between Exmoor Street to a former street called Raymede Street. Holland Villas Road, W14 Holland Villas Road is a wide tree-lined avenue which runs between Upper Addison Gardens and the junction of Addison Crescent and Holland Road. Horbury Crescent, W11 Horbury Crescent is a short and handsome half-moon shaped street between Ladbroke Road and Kensington Park Road, W11. Humber Drive, W10 Humber Drive is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Huxley Street, W10 Huxley Street is the only street beginning with an H on the Queen’s Park Estate. Kenley Street, W11 Kenley Street, W11 was originally William Street before it disappeared. Kensal House, W10 Kensal House (1936), was designed to show off the power of gas and originally had no electricity at all. Kensal Road, W10 Kensal Road, originally called Albert Road, is the heart of Kensal Town. Kensington Palace Gardens, W8 Kensington Palace Gardens is a street in west central London with some of the most expensive properties in the world. Kilburn Lane, W10 Kilburn Lane runs around the edge of the Queen’s Park Estate in London W10. Kilburn Park Road, NW6 Kilburn Park Road was built along the course of the Bayswater Rivulet (the River Westbourne), starting in 1855 Kingsdown Close, W10 Kingsdown Close is one of a select number of roads in London W10 lying south of Westway. Ladbroke Crescent, W11 Ladbroke Crescent belongs to the third and final great period of building on the Ladbroke estate and the houses were constructed in the 1860s. Ladbroke Grove, W10 Ladbroke Grove runs from Notting Hill in the south to Kensal Green in the north, and straddles the W10 and W11 postal districts. Ladbroke Square, W11 The huge Ladbroke Square communal garden is part communal garden accessed from the backs of the houses lining it and part traditional London Square with roads between the houses and the square. Ladbroke Terrace, W11 Ladbroke Terrace was one of the first streets to be created on the Ladbroke estate. Lansdowne Crescent, W11 Lansdowne Crescent has some of the most interesting and varied houses on the Ladbroke estate, as architects and builders experimented with different styles. Lavie Mews, W10 Lavie Mews, W10 was a mews connecting Portobello Road and Murchison Road. Ledbury Road, W11 Ledbury Road is split between W2 and W11, the postal line intersecting the street. Leinster Square, W2 Leinster Square, along with Prince’s Square, was begun in 1856 and finished in 1864 Lionel Mews, W10 Lionel Mews was built around 1882 and probably disappeared in the 1970s. Lockton Street, W11 Lockton Street, just south of Latimer Road station is so insignificant that nary a soul know’s it’s there... Maida Vale, W9 Maida Vale is the name of part of the A5 road running through northwest London. Malton Mews, W10 Malton Mews, formerly Oxford Mews, runs south off of Cambridge Gardens. Manchester Road, W10 Manchester Road is one of the lost streets of North Kensington, now buried beneath a roundabout. Maple Walk, W10 Post war development on the Queen’s Park Estate created some plant-based street names. Middle Row, W10 Middle Row is one of the original streets laid out as Kensal New Town. Mozart Street, W10 Mozart Street was part of the second wave of development of the Queen’s Park Estate. Munro Mews, W10 Munro Mews is a part cobbled through road that connects Wornington Road and Wheatstone Road. Oakworth Road, W10 Oakworth Road dates from the 1920s when a cottage estate was built by the council. Oliphant Street, W10 Oliphant Street was the final alphabetical street on the original Queen’s Park Estate naming scheme. Orme Square, W2 Orme Square is named after Edward Orme, formerly a printseller in Bond Street. Orsett Terrace, W2 Orsett Terrace combined with Orsett Place to form one street in Paddington. Ossington Street, W2 Ossington Street leads from Moscow Road at its north end to the Bayswater Road at its south end. Palace Court, W2 Palace Court was built in the 1880s to connect the Bayswater Road to Moscow Road. Peach Road, W10 Paach Road is one of the newer streets of the Queen’s Park Estate in London W10 Pember Road, NW10 Pember Road is one of the side streets to the west of Kilburn Lane, NW10 Porchester Square, W2 Begun in 1850 and completed between 1855 and 1858, Porchester Square was one of the last areas of Bayswater to be built. Portland Road, W11 Portland Road is a street in Notting Hill, rich at one end and poor at the other. Portobello Road, W10 Portobello Road is split into two sections by the Westway/Hammersmith and City line. Pottery Lane, W11 Pottery Lane takes its name from the brickfields which were situated at the northern end of the street. Pring Street, W10 The unusually-named Pring Street was situated between Bard Road and Latimer Road. Queensborough Terrace, W2 Queensborough Terrace was built by the grandson of John Aldridge in the 1860s on part of the Aldridge lands. Queensdale Road, W11 Queensdale Road is a long road stretching from west to east, containing terraces of Victorian houses. Queensdale Walk, W11 Queensdale Walk is a small cul-de-sac with 2-storey cottages running south off Queensdale Road. Rackham Street, W10 Rackham Street is a road that disappeared from the streetscape of London W10 in 1951. Raymede Street, W10 Raymede Street, after severe bomb damage in the area, disappeared after 1950. Regent Street, NW10 Regent Street, otherwise an obscure side street is one of the oldest roads in Kensal Green. Ronan Walk, W10 Ronan Walk was one of the streets constructed in a 1970s build parallel to the Harrow Road. Rootes Drive, W10 Rootes Drive is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Severn Avenue, W10 Severn Avenue is a newer thoroughfare in the Queen's Park Estate, London W10 Southern Row, W10 Southern Row was originally South Row to match the other streets in the neighbourhood. St Andrews Square, W11 St Andrews Square is a street in Notting Dale, formed when the Rillington Place area was demolished. St Anns Road, W11 St Anns Road, along with St Anns Villas, runs north from Royal Crescent. St Anns Villas, W11 St Ann’s Villas, leading into Royal Crescent, is a pleasant tree-lined if busy road. St James’s Gardens, W11 St James’s Gardens is an attractive garden square with St James Church in the middle of the communal garden. St Quintin Avenue, W10 St Quintin Avenue connects North Pole Road with the roundabout at the top of St Mark’s Road. Station Walk, W10 Station Walk is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Stoneleigh Place, W11 Stoneleigh Place, formerly called Abbey Road, was built across a brickfield in Notting Dale. Talbot Mews, W11 Talbot Mews seems to have disappeared just after the Second Worid War. Tavistock Crescent, W11 Tavistock Crescent was where the first Notting Hill Carnival procession began on 18 September 1966. Telford Road, W10 Telford Road is one of the local streets named after prominent nineteenth century scientists. Thorpe Close, W10 Thorpe Close is a redevelopment of the former Thorpe Mews, laid waste by the building of the Westway. Trellick Tower, W10 Trellick Tower is a 31-storey block of flats designed in the Brutalist style by architect Ernő Goldfinger, completed in 1972. Walmer Road, W10 Walmer Road is the great lost road of North Kensington, obliterated under Westway. Walmer Road, W11 Walmer Road is the oldest street in the area, dating from the eighteenth century or before. Walterton Road, W9 Walterton Road was the central road of a suburb which was originally proposed to called St. Peter’s Park. Waynflete Square, W10 Waynflete Square is one of the newer roads in the vicinity of Latimer Road station. Wedlake Street, W10 Wedlake Street arrived as the second wave of building in Kensal Town was completed. West Cross Route, W11 The West Cross Route is a 1.21 km-long dual carriageway running north-south between the northern elevated roundabout junction with the western end of Westway (A40) and the southern Holland Park Roundabout. Western Dwellings, W10 Western Dwellings were a row of houses, opposite the Western Gas Works, housing some of the workers. Westway, W10 Westway is the A40(M) motorway which runs on an elevated section along the W10/W11 border. Westway, W2 At its opening, Westway was the largest continuous concrete structure in Britain. Wilby Mews, W11 Wilby Mews was named after Benjamin Wilby, who was involved in several 19th century development schemes. Woodsford Square, W14 Woodsford Square is a 1970s development consisting of a series of interconnecting squares hidden away on the eastern side of Addison Road. Wornington Road, W10 Wornington Road connected Golborne Road with Ladbroke Grove, though the Ladbroke end is now closed to through traffic.
The story of the building of a suburb.
Westbourne Green had only a few houses by 1745, mostly south of the point where Harrow Road
had a junction with Westbourne Green Lane (also known as Black Lion Lane) running northward from the Uxbridge Road. A footpath later called Bishop’s Walk (eventually Bishop’s Bridge Road) provided a short cut to Paddington Green. The Red Lion, where Harrow Road
bridged the Westbourne, and another inn were recorded in 1730. The second inn was probably one called the Jolly Gardeners in 1760 and the Three Jolly Gardeners in 1770, near the Harrow Road
junction, where it probably made way for the Spotted Dog.
The early 19th-century village contained five notable residences: Westbourne Place, west of Black Lion Lane at its junction with Harrow Road
, and, from south to north on the east side of Harrow Road
, Desborough Lodge, Westbourne Farm, Bridge House, and Westbourne Manor House. Bridge House was built c. 1805 by the architect John White, owner of Westbourne Farm.
Westbourne Green had a very refined air in 1795 and was still considered a beautiful rural place in 1820. The Grand Junction canal, passing north of the village between the grounds of Westbourne Farm and Bridge House, was a scenic enhancement, later used to attract expensive building to the area. Although housing was spreading along Black Lion Lane, it had not reached Westbourne Green by 1828, when a house later called Elm Lodge stood north-west of Westbourne Manor House. There was also a short row, later called Belsize Villas, alone to the west on the south side of Harrow Road
at Orme’s Green, by 1830. The main addition was at the southern end of the village, opposite Bishop’s Walk, where Pickering Terrace (later part of Porchester Road
), backed by a double row called Pickering Place, formed a compact block of cottages amid the fields.
The cutting of the G.W.R. line across the middle of Westbourne Green was begun in 1836, necessitating a slight northward realignment of Harrow Road
east of its junction with Black Lion Lane, where a turnpike gate was moved. Since the railway obstructed the Paddington green end of Bishop’s Walk, the footpath was replaced by Bishop’s Road, soon extended westward as Westbourne Grove
. (Although no large houses were demolished, the railway passed close to Westbourne Park, from which Lord Hill moved out. By 1840 several new roads were projected, including Westbourne Grove
. Houses had been built there by 1842, when the Lock hospital, giving its name to the Lock bridge where Harrow Road
crossed the canal, stood opposite Westbourne Manor House to the north. The centre of the area, however, along Harrow Road
and on either side of the railway, remained empty.
Housing spread in the 1840s, mainly south of the railway. The eastern end of Bishop’s Road was built up and at first called Westbourne Place, where the publisher George Smith was visited by Charlotte Bronte in 1848 and 1849. Further north, residential growth was curtailed by the G.W.R. depots and sidings. Immediately to the west, where the Paddington Estate straddled the Westbourne, roads were laid out, with bridges over the railway to link them with Harrow Road
. Holy Trinity church was finished in 1846 and Orsett Terrace
, Gloucester Crescent (later the northernmost part of Gloucester Terrace
), and Porchester Square
had been planned by 1851. No. 37 Gloucester Gardens
, Bishop’s Road, was the London home of the architect Decimus Burton by 1855. Most of the area between Bishop’s Road and the railway had been filled by 1855, except the site of Penny’s House, which was to be taken in 1871 for Royal Oak station.
A builder, William Scantlebury, erected much of the neighbourhood around Orsett Terrace
and Gloucester Crescent, where he took leases in 1849-50 and 1852 respectively. John Scantlebury of Porchester Terrace
North built part of Porchester Square
, where many plots were subleased by George Wyatt between 1853 and 1855.
Farther west building had already begun for William Kinnaird Jenkins, a lawyer who also acquired part of the Ladbroke estate from W. H. Jenkins and was responsible for laying out Kensal New Town. Houses were planned for W. K. Jenkins along both sides of Westbourne Grove
, west of Pickering Place, in 1838 and along an extension of Westbourne Grove
in 1840. They were detached villas, like those to be built for him in Newton Road
in 1846, when he also had plans for Hereford Road
. More land in Hereford Road
was leased out by the Paddington Estate between 1853 and 1855, much of it for terraces by J. P. Waterson, a Bayswater builder, who assigned his interest in several sites to John Wicking Phillips. To the north, Westbourne Park and its grounds made way for large semidetached villas in Westbourne Park Road
and, beside the railway, Westbourne Park Villas
. No. 16 Westbourne Park Villas
from 1863 to 1867 was the intermittent home of Thomas Hardy, who also lived briefly at no. 4 Celbridge Place (later Porchester Road
) and in Newton Road
. Fields survived between Westbourne Park Road
and Newton Road
in 1851 but had been covered with modest terraces by 1855, when St. Stephen’s church was being built.
Between the railway and the canal, the pace of building and the social pattern were more varied. The eastern part, where Delamere Terrace
lined the canal and Warwick Crescent
overlooked the pool, was begun as an extension of Little Venice. Leases for 13 houses in Westbourne Terrace
Road were taken in 1847 by G. L. Taylor, architect of some of the grandest houses in Tyburnia and Maida Vale
, who also built in Blomfield Terrace, along Harrow Road
. Other lessees included William Buddle, for 19 houses in Blomfield Street (later Villas) and Delamere Terrace
in 1851 and 12 in Warwick Crescent
, where plots were assigned to him by G. L. Taylor in 1852. Early residents included Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s sister Arabel Barrett in Delamere Terrace
; in order to be near her Robert Browning moved from lodgings at no. 1 Chichester Road
and made his English home at no. 19 Warwick Crescent
from 1862 until 1887.
Farther west, beyond Ranelagh (from 1938 Lord Hill’s) Road, building was slightly delayed by the survival until after 1855 of Desborough Lodge and Westbourne Farm. Brindley Street
, Alfred Road
, and their neighbours already formed densely packed terraces west of the Lock Bridge and Harrow Road
. By 1861 Desborough Lodge and Westbourne Farm had made way for Clarendon, Woodchester and Cirencester Street
s, whose small houses resembled those around Brindley Street
rather than the stately terraces to the east.
North of the canal, the workhouse was built next to the Lock in 1846-7. Building, although not the imposing crescent planned in 1847, stretched from there along the south side of Harrow Road
to Woodfield Road
at Orme’s Green by 1855.
The 1860s saw housing, which had ended in 1855 at St. Stephen’s Church and Hereford Road
, spread to the Kensington boundary.
North of the canal the site of Westbourne Manor House was built over from 1867 and Amberley Road
with its timber wharves was built along the canal bank. The whole of Westbourne Green thus came to be built up.