Stirling Corner

Neighbourhood in/near High Barnet, existing between 1928 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.64321 -0.25475, 51.643 -0.254) 

Stirling Corner

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Neighbourhood · * · WD6 ·
August
19
2013

Stirling Corner is the road junction of the A1 Barnet Bypass and Barnet Lane.

A Mr Stirling opened a garage at the junction - hence both Stirling Corner and Stirling Way.

This dual carriageway was part of a 1920–4 road improvement programme that was mentioned in parliament in 1928 as "hopefully being completed by the end of the summer".

The A1 northbound carriageway passes the entrance to Scratchwood, an area of ancient forest which is now a Local Nature Reserve, then crosses the A411 from Watford to Barnet at the Stirling Corner roundabout.

A proposed link road at this roundabout, estimated at £22.8m in 1987, would have provided access to the M1, but the plans were subsequently abandoned. The link had been planned during discussions for the Hendon Urban Motorway, which was intended to carry the M1 all the way down to Hyde Park Corner as part of the London Ringways scheme; the interchange would have been junction 3 on the motorway.

Past Stirling Corner, the A1 skirts Borehamwood, before turning northeast and running through open countryside to Bignell’s Corner.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence


Stirling Corner

Stirling Corner

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Froghall Cottages Frog Hall Cottages were built in the late 1860s along Barnet Lane.
Home of Rest for Horses The Home of Rest for Horses was situated at the corner of Furzehill Road and Barnet Lane, near Borehamwood.
Manor Farm Manor Farm was originally a farm in Boreham Wood.
Stirling Corner Stirling Corner is the road junction of the A1 Barnet Bypass and Barnet Lane.

NEARBY STREETS
Arkley Park, EN5 Arkley Park is a road in the EN5 postcode area
Ashley Drive, WD6 Ashley Drive was one of the original Laing estate roads.
Barnet Gate, EN5 A street within the EN5 postcode
Barnet Way, WD6 Barnet Way is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Clydesdale Close, WD6 Clydesdale Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Cobb Close, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Connemara Close, WD6 Connemara Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Dales Road, WD6 Dales Road is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Elstree Park, WD6 Elstree Park is a mobile home park.
Farriers Way, WD6 Farriers Way was built on the site of the former Home of Rest for Horses.
Hunter Close, WD6 Hunter Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Hyver Hill, EN5 Hyver Hill is an exclusive road off of the Barnet By Pass near Stirling Corner.
Percheron Road, WD6 Percheron Road like many roads on the site of the Home of Rest for Horses has an equine theme.
Pinto Close, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Saddlers Close, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Shetland Close, WD6 Shetland Close, like other roads on the ’Horses Home’ estate was named after a breed of horse.
Stirling Way, WD6 Stirling Way was built as the 1930s began.
Suffolk Close, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area


High Barnet

High Barnet is the name of the terminus of the Northern Line but is actually within the original Barnet - Chipping Barnet.

High Barnet station, though planned by the Edgware, Highgate and London Railway), was originally opened on 1 April 1872 by the Great Northern Railway (which had taken over). It was the terminus of a branch line that ran from Highgate and was built over the original site of the Barnet Fair.

The High Barnet branch was incorporated into the London Underground network through the "Northern Heights" project begun in the late 1930s. High Barnet station was first served by Northern line trains on 14 April 1940.

The area was the site of the Battle of Barnet in 1471, where Yorkist troops led by King Edward IV killed the rebellious "Kingmaker" Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick and Warwick’s brother, John Neville, 1st Marquess of Montagu.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Barnet grass speedway in operation
TUM image id: 1526569186
Licence: CC BY 2.0
292A bus at the Bull and Tiger (1970s)
TUM image id: 1534096995
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
Looking northeast along the future path of Ashley Drive.
Credit: Britain From Above
TUM image id: 1515078058
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Ely Gardens (2009)
Credit: Google Street View
TUM image id: 1522760117
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Manor Farm and its outbuildings, c.1900
Credit: Elstree and Borehamwood Museum
TUM image id: 1515070304
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Cranes Farm lies towards the centre of this 1939 image. The Horses Home and Furzehill Road at the bottom with the chalk outline of the future Ashley Drive clearly visible.
Credit: Aerofilms
TUM image id: 1525280040
Licence: CC BY 2.0
292A bus at the Bull and Tiger (1970s)
TUM image id: 1534096995
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Print-friendly version of this page