Print-friendly version of this page
The Bentley London is a luxury hotel located at 27-33 Harrington Gardens
in South Kensington.
The building was first constructed in 1880. It was built from six hundred tonnes of marble imported from Turkey, Italy and northern Africa as well as intricate mosaic designs throughout the property. It was constructed behind the facade of three adjacent Georgian townhouses.
The hotel joined the Hilton Group as a Franchise in October 2008 and added to the elite Waldorf-Astoria collection on 12 March 2009. As of January 2012, The Bentley Hotel is a standalone Luxury hotel with no association with Hilton or Waldorf Astoria.
Baden-Powell House Baden-Powell House is a Scouting hostel and conference centre built as a tribute to Lord Baden-Powell, the founder of Scouting.. Bailey’s Hotel The Bailey’s Hotel, 140 Gloucester Road, is a historic hotel in Kensington.
Coleherne House Coleherne House once stood on the corner of Brompton Lane (later Brompton Road) and Walnut Tree Lane (now Redcliffe Gardens). Cromwell Curve The Cromwell Curve was a short section of railway line between Gloucester Road and High Street Kensington stations. Nokes Estate Nokes Estate was an agricultural estate in the Earl’s Court area, formerly known as Wattsfield. The Bentley London The Bentley London is a luxury hotel located at 27-33 Harrington Gardens in South Kensington. Webber Douglas Academy of Dramatic Art The Webber Douglas Academy of Dramatic Art, formerly the Webber Douglas School of Singing and Dramatic Art, was a drama school, and originally a singing school. Astwood Mews, SW7 Astwood Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Bina Gardens, SW5 Bina Gardens is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Bolney Gate, SW7 Bolney Gate is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Bute Street, SW7 Bute Street is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Cranley Mews, SW7 Cranley Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Cromwell Road, SW5 Once known as Cromwell Lane, the road was named after one of Cromwell’s sons who lived here. Farnell Mews, SW5 Farnell Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Gloucester Road, SW7 Gloucester Road is a main street in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Grenville Place, SW7 Grenville Place connects Cornwall Gardens and Launceston Place in the north with Cromwell Road in the south. Hesper Mews, SW5 Hesper Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Hogarth Road, SW5 Hogarth Road is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Manson Mews, SW7 Manson Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Manson Place, SW7 Manson Place is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Osten Mews, SW7 Osten Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Queens Gate, SW7 Queens Gate is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Reece Mews, SW7 Reece Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Roland Way, SW7 Roland Way is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Stanhope Gardens, SW7 Stanhope Gardens was built in the 1860s in developments following the Great Exhibition of 1851. The Boltons, SW10 The Boltons is one of the streets of London in the SW10 postal area. The Mansions, SW5 The Mansions is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area.
Queen’s Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
The north of Queen’s Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen’s Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen’s Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen’s Park ’proper’ formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen’s Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.
Queen’s Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett’s wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen’s Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queen’s Park are a conservation area.
There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.
Queen’s Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.
Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen’s Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen’s Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR.