Rainsford Street, W2
Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before with housing mainly dating from the 1960s
Print-friendly version of this page
Rainsford Street is a street in Paddington.
Fountains Abbey The Fountains Abbey was opened in 1824 and quickly became a popular meeting place for locals. Paddington The first underground railway station in the world ran from Paddington - opened as Paddington (Bishop's Road) by the Metropolitan Railway on 10 January 1863 as the terminus of the company's route from Farringdon. St Georges Fields St George’s Fields are a former burial ground of St George’s, Hanover Square, lying between Connaught Street and Bayswater Road. Albion Street, W2 Albion Street was laid out over the Pightle field in the late 1820s. Cato Street, W1H Cato Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Connaught Square, W2 Connaught Square was the first square of city houses to be built in the Bayswater area. Craven Road, W2 The Earl of Craven owned the land on which the road was later built. Homer Row, W1H Homer Row is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Homer Street, W1H Homer Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Hyde Park Square, W2 Hyde Park Square was part of ’Tyburnia’ - planned in 1827 by Samuel Pepys Cockerell for the Bishop of London’s Estate Market Place, W1H Market Place is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Paddington Green, W2 Paddington Green is a surviving fragment of the original rural fabric of the area. Praed Street, W2 Praed Street was named after William Praed, chairman of the company which built the canal basin which lies just to its north. York Street, W1H York Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Marble Arch station was opened on 30 July 1900 by the Central London Railway.
Like all the original stations on the CLR, Marble Arch was served by lifts to the platforms but the station was reconstructed in the early 1930s to accommodate escalators. This saw the closure of the original station building, designed by the architect Harry Bell Measures, that was situated on the corner of Quebec Street and Oxford Street, and a replacement sub-surface ticket hall opened further to the west. The new arrangements came into use on 15 August 1932. The original surface building was later demolished.
The platforms, originally lined in plain white tiles, were refitted with decorative vitreous enamel panels in 1985. The panel graphics were designed by Annabel Grey.
The station was modernised in 2010 resulting in new finishes in all areas of the station, apart from the retention of various of the decorative enamel panels at platform level.