Robert Adam Street, W1U

Road in/near Marylebone, existing between the 1770s and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.51719 -0.15421) 

Robert Adam Street, W1U


MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Road · Marylebone · W1U ·
JANUARY
21
2019

Robert Adam Street was the 1938 renamed Adams Street.

Adams Street (which became Robert Adam Street in 1938) stands as part of the Portman Estate which was laid out in the late 1770s. The street is first listed in the rate books in 1780 but it was not marked on a plan of 1777.

Robert Adam Street is close to Home House, Portman Square, now the Courtauld Institute, perhaps Robert Adam’s most impressive work.


Citation information: London Street Names (book)
Further citations and sources






Marylebone

Marylebone - so good they named it once but pronounced it seven different ways.

Marylebone is an area in the City of Westminster North of Oxford Street and South of Regents Park. Edgware Road forms the Western boundary. Portland Place forms the eastern boundary with the area known as Fitzrovia.

Marylebone gets its name from a church, called St Mary's, that was built on the bank of a small stream or bourne called the Tyburn. The church and the surrounding area later became known as St Mary at the bourne, which over time became shortened to its present form Marylebone.

Today the area is mostly residential with a stylish High Street. It is also notable for its Arab population on its far western border around Edgware Road.

Marylebone station, opened in 1899, is the youngest of London's mainline terminal stations, and also one of the smallest, having opened with half the number of platforms originally planned.

Originally the London terminus of the ill-fated Great Central Main Line, it now serves as the terminus of the Chiltern Main Line route.

The underground station is served by the Bakerloo Line, opening on 27 March 1907 by the Baker Street and Waterloo Railway under the name Great Central (following a change from the originally-intended name Lisson Grove). It was renamed Marylebone in 1917.
Print-friendly version of this page