Print-friendly version of this page
Rotherwick Road, like Corringham Road
, links Golders Green
with Hampstead Garden Suburb.
It was appreciated that the new Northern Line would be an important transport hub for the Suburb. A station had been planned for a site at the top of Hampstead Way
close to the old weather boarded farmhouse of Wyldes. This prospect caused angst to resident Henrietta Barnett, fearing bland suburbanisation - so much so that the idea for Hampstead Garden Suburb was born. When Golders Green
became the only station, designer of the Suburb, Raymond Unwin made it a high priority to build up the approach from it.
Rotherwick Road is entered from Finchley Road
by the first of Unwin’s ’gates’: four large houses, three on one side and one on the other in an intricate dog-legged plan, so that the Finchley Road
street frontage is dramatically set back.
Golders Green crossroads Golders Green crossroads was formed when the new Finchley Road crossed North End Road in the 1830s. Golders Green, looking south (1905) This photo from the London Transport Collection shows Golders Green crossroads looking south in 1905. While this predates the arrival of the Hampstead Tube (Northern Line) by a couple of years’ land speculation is already taking place. Heruka Buddhist Centre Heruka Kadampa Meditation Centre (KMC) is the main New Kadampa Tradition Buddhist Centre for north & central London. Chandos Way, NW11 Chandos Way runs off of Wellgarth Road and Britten Close, in turn, runs off Chandos Way. Corringham Road, NW11 Corringham Road is a manifestation of designer Raymond Unwin’s later ’Georgian’ phase. Hampstead Way, NW11 Hampstead Way was one of the major roads designed for Hampstead Garden Suburb.
Golders Green was a rural hamlet at the crossroads of Finchley Road and North End Road until the arrival of the tube in 1907.Golders Green
station was opened by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR, now part of the Northern Line) on 22 June 1907. It was one of the railway's two northern terminals (the other being at Archway) and was also the site of the railway's depot.
Before World War I plans were made to extend the CCE&HR north from Golders Green
to Hendon and Edgware to open up new areas of the Middlesex countryside to development and to create a source of new passengers. The war postponed the construction of the extension and work did not begin until 12 June 1922. The first section of the extension, as far as Hendon Central opened on 19 November 1923.