Print-friendly version of this page Cape Nursery The Cape Nursery once lay along the south side of Shepherd’s Bush Green. Dimco Buildings The Dimco Buildings housed the earliest (extant) example of an electricity generating station built for the London Underground. The Crown The Crown was situated at 57 Princedale Road. Addison Avenue, W11 Addison Avenue runs north from Holland Park Avenue and was originally called Addison Road North. Addison Place, W11 In the nineteenth century, Addison Place was known by two names - Phoenix Place and Crescent Mews East. Addison Road, W14 Addison Road stretches from Holland Park Avenue to Kensington High Street. Ariel Way, W12 Ariel Way connects White City bus station with Shephard’s Bush. Boxmoor Street, W11 Boxmoor Street was also known as Henry Place and Beaumont Street during its brief life. Frog Island, W12 Frog Island was the name of a lane leading north from the Uxbridge Road. Holland Villas Road, W14 Holland Villas Road is a wide tree-lined avenue which runs between Upper Addison Gardens and the junction of Addison Crescent and Holland Road. Kenley Street, W11 Kenley Street, W11 was originally William Street before it disappeared. Portland Road, W11 Portland Road is a street in Notting Hill, rich at one end and poor at the other. Pottery Lane, W11 Pottery Lane takes its name from the brickfields which were situated at the northern end of the street. Queensdale Road, W11 Queensdale Road is a long road stretching from west to east, containing terraces of Victorian houses. Queensdale Walk, W11 Queensdale Walk is a small cul-de-sac with 2-storey cottages running south off Queensdale Road. St Anns Road, W11 St Anns Road, along with St Anns Villas, runs north from Royal Crescent. St Anns Villas, W11 St Ann’s Villas, leading into Royal Crescent, is a pleasant tree-lined if busy road. St James’s Gardens, W11 St James’s Gardens is an attractive garden square with St James Church in the middle of the communal garden. West Cross Route, W11 The West Cross Route is a 1.21 km-long dual carriageway running north-south between the northern elevated roundabout junction with the western end of Westway (A40) and the southern Holland Park Roundabout. Woodsford Square, W14 Woodsford Square is a 1970s development consisting of a series of interconnecting squares hidden away on the eastern side of Addison Road.
Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.
Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.
There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.
Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.
Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.