Print-friendly version of this page
Woodstock House was a large stuccoed house, dating from the early 19th century in Golders Green.
It was formerly known as Rose Cottage and was occupied from 1816 to 1835 by Sir Felix Booth (1775-1850), head of Booth and Co., distillers. Licence:
Suburban development began on 85½ acres near Woodstock House in 1906. Prominent among those responsible was Sir Edwin Evans, 'the Napoleon of suburban development', who worked on the Woodstock estate and elsewhere in conjunction with local firms, like those of Ernest Owers and Farrow and Howkins.
Sisters of La Sagesse, known also as the Montfort sisters, settled in Cricklewood in 1903 after their expulsion from France. They engaged in social and educational work and in 1909 moved to Woodstock House which was renamed La Sagesse Convent. Later they opened an independent day and boarding school for girls of all ages, extending the premises in 1926-7 and 1932. From 1965 the school catered for educationally-disadvantaged children, of whom there were 86 on the roll in 1969.
It gave its name to a series of later roads called "Woodstock" and was to be the original name for what became Brent Cross station.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Grove Farm Grove Farm changed usage between a farm and a house before being overwhelmed by suburbia. Golders Green Road, NW11 Golders Green Road - known by many other names too during its history - lies along an ancient road from London to Hendon.
Golders Green was a rural hamlet at the crossroads of Finchley Road and North End Road until the arrival of the tube in 1907.
Golders Green station was opened by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR, now part of the Northern Line) on 22 June 1907. It was one of the railway's two northern terminals (the other being at Archway) and was also the site of the railway's depot.
Before World War I plans were made to extend the CCE&HR north from Golders Green to Hendon and Edgware to open up new areas of the Middlesex countryside to development and to create a source of new passengers. The war postponed the construction of the extension and work did not begin until 12 June 1922. The first section of the extension, as far as Hendon Central opened on 19 November 1923.